Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:23 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresdale View Post
Wow, they must really be overpopulated if you have to go fly in an airplane in the middle of no where to go looking for them.
Much much experience do YOU have with wild animals there in Philly? I'm not talking about dogs and kitty cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 03:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Some more facts we want to avoid:

"The wolf (Canis lupus) occurs throughout mainland Alaska, on Unimak Island in the Aleutians, and on all of the major islands in Southeast except Admiralty, Baranof, and Chichagof. This range includes about 85 percent of Alaska's 586,000 square-mile area."

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...rbear/wolf.php

Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 PM

389 posts, read 1,095,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Let's avoid the facts and move on to emotionally based answers.
The fact is they are fighting against man for moose and they're losing, but that doesn't mean they're overpopulated.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:29 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,451,577 times
It appears aerial hunting isn't excatly popular with many in Alaska as well....

"Nick Jans, one of the initiative sponsors, said it was tough going up against the Palin administration, Fish and Game, and members of the Alaska Outdoor Council. A strong Republican turnout also may have hurt their side, he said."

newsminer.com • Alaska voters shoot down predator control initiative

Old 09-12-2008, 03:29 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
That's pretty much it in a nutshell: predator vs. predator and we have bigger 'claws.' The anti-wolf contingent can put it any way they want, but, the fact it, they want the moose and elk hunting tourists and their dollars and they aren't going to let any pesky wolves, native to that area, I might add, get in the way of their big paydays.
Actually, a healthy wolf population is very much wanted even just from an economic standpoint: healthy wolves are valuable to trappers, and trapping is pretty important to many in Alaska, so, a good, healthy population of wolves actually brings in a lot of money and wiping out or damaging the wolf population would bring an uproar from trappers. When there's an overpopulation, however, diseases become rampant and the wolves suffer a lot.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:30 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Most of the state is "the middle of nowhere" by your definition, with no road access. Get out a highway map of Alaska. It'll be pretty small, despite Alaska being the largest state. People do live in the bush though, and if the wolves overpopulate and create problems in these areas it spreads to other areas as the wolves leave in search of food that no longer exists there.
And, has it occurred to anyone that it is the over-hunting by humans that is causing the wolves to have to search in other areas for food?

Old 09-12-2008, 03:31 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
The fact is they are fighting against man for moose and they're losing, but that doesn't mean they're overpopulated.
So if 85% of Alaska being covered by wolves isn't enough what is?

It's already been stated in some areas population control is needed.....and there is way more to it than man ain't gettin his way...

The above links are from "Wildlife Conservation"

The Wildlife Conservation Society saves wildlife and wild lands through careful science, international conservation, education, and the management of the world’s largest system of urban wildlife parks. These activities change attitudes toward nature and help people imagine wildlife and humans living in sustainable interaction on both a local and a global scale. WCS is committed to this work because we believe it essential to the integrity of life on Earth.

Saving Wildlife Home

Old 09-12-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And, has it occurred to anyone that it is the over-hunting by humans that is causing the wolves to have to search in other areas for food?
No, in the bush the population density is very low. The population density is something like .01 per square mile where my property is and it isn't even true bush since it has road access (but difficult access and far from a city). Much more hunting goes on closer to the population centers, and that's not where the predator control program is taking place...

Old 09-12-2008, 03:34 PM

389 posts, read 1,095,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Much much experience do YOU have with wild animals there in Philly? I'm not talking about dogs and kitty cats.
Sorry, I'm not stupid enough to live in the middle of an old forest and then complain about deer eating my plants or bear getting into my trash. Smartass.

We, do have deer in Philly though. And I did see a bald eagle once.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not stupid enough to live in the middle of an old forest and then complain about deer eating my plants or bear getting into my trash. Smartass.

We, do have deer in Philly though. And I did see a bald eagle once.
It seems to me, I've noticed most of the supporters of the radical animal rights type groups are city dwellers who are detached from the natural world and have little personal experience with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections