Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:43 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Because things like raising the minimum wage BY FORCE is more harmful then helpful. Need proof? Where is the economy now that the minimum wage has gone up? Everytime they raise it, again, by force, less people work and more companies take jobs outside the country.

And, the american public, I would assume, is tired of working only to hand their checks over to the government. I thank actually the third party candidates for bringing some of these issues to the table.

They also dont like seeing a hard working, successful female, who's done a pretty good job with her family and job, be "picked on" and lied about. The working public can relate to Palin because she's normal, not a millionaire, not associated with terrorists or crooked business deals.

Palin = best executive move for McCain ever, even if he loses, I'm not sure Obama could ever come close after he messed this one up.
So, you are you saying that poor and working class whites can identify with Palin, because she's "normal" and not Obama, eventhough Obama's background is in social activism and communitie service at the grassroot level. I would think, that poor and working class whites would better identify with this type of person. Granted, Palin may not be a millionaire, but I haven't heard of her doing anything for working class people. Whereas, Obama dedicated the early years of his life to helping the community and disatvantaged of all races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 05:45 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoagirl View Post
Also the last Obama ad I saw was him attacking McCain on his lack of computer knowledge, how lame! My aunt and many older people lack computer knowledge and that is insulting to them.
I agree. My parents are in their fifties and neither are very computer savvy, they don't have time for it. I think that add will backfire on Obama.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:50 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,635 times
Quote:
Because things like raising the minimum wage BY FORCE is more harmful then helpful. Need proof? Where is the economy now that the minimum wage has gone up? Everytime they raise it, again, by force, less people work and more companies take jobs outside the country.
As someone who used to live on minimum wage, all things being equal I would have voted for anyone promising to raise it. Without conceding that your macro argument that it may cause problems is correct, at the micro level of my wallet it would have been greatly appreciated. And fast food jobs do not get taken outside the country . . .

Old 09-12-2008, 05:52 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I agree. My parents are in their fifties and neither are very computer savvy, they don't have time for it. I think that add will backfire on Obama.
My parents don't use the internet either, both freshly 65 .... they are voting for Obama.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
So, you are you saying that poor and working class whites can identify with Palin, because she's "normal" and not Obama, eventhough Obama's background is in social activism and communitie service at the grassroot level. I would think, that poor and working class whites would better identify with this type of person. Granted, Palin may not be a millionaire, but I haven't heard of her doing anything for working class people. Whereas, Obama dedicated the early years of his life to helping the community and disatvantaged of all races.
Obama and his wife pulled in how many millions last year? Yes, its very tough to relate to people who brought in millions a year. (note, same problem McCain has)

While Obamas' background and community service might have been "normal", even Obama has admitted that he has failed miserably at that. (his latest book). Successful people would relate more with Obama, being the fact that he started at the bottom and worked his way up, but Obama, being the left winged liberal that he is, has insulted that "class" of individuals, he has insulted Republicans, and he have done everything they could to seperate himself from "those people" who are "us" normal folks..

Palin has done lots for the working class people of her state, including increasing their pay 50% for the state of Alaska, and she's very knowledgable about drilling, (hence the oil energy needs that we have today) and shes "one of us"..

Sorry, but succeeding when your black in the 1970's is one thing that I greatly would have admired, succeeding in the 2000's is something I expect, and Obama has played on his race to much.

He was very successful when he didnt discuss race, but his comments about not looking like people on the dollar bill, he's black, and other comments that he has used, continued to emphasise how different he is from those this topic discusses.

People want to vote for people like them, not individuals who has purpously reminded people how different they are.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
As someone who used to live on minimum wage, all things being equal I would have voted for anyone promising to raise it. Without conceding that your macro argument that it may cause problems is correct, at the micro level of my wallet it would have been greatly appreciated. And fast food jobs do not get taken outside the country . . .
Yes, I could not imagine living on minimum wage, I'm not sure how people do it, but luckily, minimum wage was never setup to be "livable".. it was setup for extra work, college kids, etc.

The problem comes into play because we continued to raise minimum wage, and we have put an emphasis on raising the value of the dollar for so long (Clinton was famous for it, because it lowered the "deficit" artificially) that we have pushed all of the good jobs outside the country, leaving only minimum wage jobs left for individuals to live off of.

As much as people dont like whats going on with our current economy, in the long term if we could substain the lower dollar, its good for us because it encourages economic growth and companies to relocate back to the USA. Locally the car company just added 5,000 jobs and a 3rd shift because of the low dollar, and when jobs are added, wages for all go up in the area because people leave their minimum wage jobs to go work good jobs.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:59 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
[quote=pghquest;5243127]Obama and his wife pulled in how many millions last year? Yes, its very tough to relate to people who brought in millions a year.

QUOTE]

...like someone not being sure of how many houses they have?
Still waiting for Cindy McCain to release her tax records...

Old 09-12-2008, 06:03 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,635 times
Quote:
Yes, I could not imagine living on minimum wage, I'm not sure how people do it, but luckily, minimum wage was never setup to be "livable".. it was setup for extra work, college kids, etc.

The problem comes into play because we continued to raise minimum wage, (along with other requirements put upon companies) that we have pushed all of the good jobs outside the country, leaving only minimum wage jobs left for individuals to live off of.

As much as people dont like whats going on with our current economy, in the long term if we could substain the lower dollar, its good for us because it encourages economic growth and companies to relocate back to the USA. Locally the car company just added 5,000 jobs and a 3rd shift because of the low dollar, and when jobs are added, wages for all go up in the area because people leave their minimum wage jobs to go work good jobs.
I am not arguing the pluses or minuses to the economy of the minimum wage. You indicated that poor white people would vote Republican in part because Republicans would resist an increase in the minimum wage. I suggest that there is a rather large hole in that little piece of rationale.

And as for ". . . we have pushed all of the good jobs outside the country, leaving only minimum wage jobs left for individuals to live off of", I will say "hyperbole alert!"

Old 09-12-2008, 06:06 PM

[quote=mimimomx3;5243191]
Quote:
Obama and his wife pulled in how many millions last year? Yes, its very tough to relate to people who brought in millions a year.

QUOTE]

...like someone not being sure of how many houses they have?
Still waiting for Cindy McCain to release her tax records...
No one claimed McCain didnt have an issue relating to the public, hence why his popularity was so low..

p.s. Cindy is under no obligation to release her tax returns, so you can just sit there and wait..

Old 09-12-2008, 06:09 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
[quote=pghquest;5243263]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
No one claimed McCain didnt have an issue relating to the public, hence why his popularity was so low..

p.s. Cindy is under no obligation to release her tax returns, so you can just sit there and wait..
Yes, he's quite a boring 25 year Washington insider.
You brought up Michelle's 'millions and millions'....I was just asking about Cindy's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections