Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 07:32 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,925,558 times

Advertisements

Try 3.5%.

Alaska did produce 14% of all the oil from U.S. oil wells last year.

I don't know if they're misleading, misinformed or simply incompetent.

FactCheck.org: Energetically Wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:03 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,859,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
Try 3.5%.

That source apparently assumed the energy was 100% in the form of oil. Energy comes from more sources than just oil. Alaska also produces coal, natural gas, and hydro-electricity...which apparently they did not consider...

Bud

Old 09-12-2008, 08:12 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,931,918 times
Then it's even an even more absurd lie. Alaska does not supply anywhere close to 20% of the nations domestic energy supply.

1)Coal production is insignificant compared to other US States.

http://www.nma.org/pdf/c_production_state_rank.pdf Alaska supplies 1/10th of 1% of US production.

2)Natural Gas: None, nothing, nada.

http://igs.indiana.edu/survey/projec...202005_png.htm

3) Hydroelectric power by State. Alaska is again insignificant.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/solar.r...hydroelec.html

Are you people ever going to stop lying???

Last edited by padcrasher; 09-12-2008 at 08:26 PM..

Old 10-03-2008, 10:13 AM

3,813 posts, read 4,897,493 times
Quote:
Try 3.5%.

I vote incompetent. Is there a poll I can click on 20,000 times?

Old 10-03-2008, 12:00 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,549,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
That source apparently assumed the energy was 100% in the form of oil. Energy comes from more sources than just oil. Alaska also produces coal, natural gas, and hydro-electricity...which apparently they did not consider...

Bud

Alaska's share of domestic energy production was 3.5 percent, according to the official figures kept by the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin sat down with ABC News' Charlie Gibson for an interview, part of which aired Sept. 11. In the exchange, the Alaska governor misstated a basic fact about her state's energy production:
Palin: Let me speak specifically about a credential that I do bring to this table, Charlie, and that's with the energy independence that I've been working on for these years as the governor of this state that produces nearly 20 percent of the U.S. domestic supply of energy, that I worked on as chairman of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, overseeing the oil and gas development in our state to produce more for the United States.
It's simply untrue that Alaska produces anything close to 20 percent of the U.S. "energy supply," a term that is generally defined as energy consumed. That category includes power produced in the U.S. by nuclear, coal, hydroelectric dams and other means – as well as all the oil imported into the country.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:02 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,110,987 times
she thinks energy is oil. She knows more than anyone else in the US. Boy, we're in trouble.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:02 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,285,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Alaska's share of domestic energy production was 3.5 percent, according to the official figures kept by the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin sat down with ABC News' Charlie Gibson for an interview, part of which aired Sept. 11. In the exchange, the Alaska governor misstated a basic fact about her state's energy production:
Palin: Let me speak specifically about a credential that I do bring to this table, Charlie, and that's with the energy independence that I've been working on for these years as the governor of this state that produces nearly 20 percent of the U.S. domestic supply of energy, that I worked on as chairman of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, overseeing the oil and gas development in our state to produce more for the United States.
It's simply untrue that Alaska produces anything close to 20 percent of the U.S. "energy supply," a term that is generally defined as energy consumed. That category includes power produced in the U.S. by nuclear, coal, hydroelectric dams and other means – as well as all the oil imported into the country.
You forgot to include "hot air". Based on last night's debate answers, I'm thinkin' Alaska is producing quite a bit of that at the moment........

Old 10-03-2008, 12:06 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,110,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You forgot to include "hot air". Based on last night's debate answers, I'm thinkin' Alaska is producing quite a bit of that at the moment........
McCain has a lot of kinetic energy from driving his straight talk express off a cliff.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:43 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,583,486 times
Quote:
Try 3.5%.

I really can't dispute the statistics you have provided. However, it seems logical to me that Alaskan oil would be an energy source primarily for the West Coast. Transporting oil from Alaska is a very expensive proposition.

We all know energy consumption and global warming are interconnected. Palin is of the opinion that global warming is NOT manmade. That defies logic. As of today, the Republican Party officially supports the notion that global warming is indeed manmade. Palin's stance is at odds with her own party.

Palin is long on style and short on substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections