Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:57 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
It wouldn't have been the ex-beauty queen from Alaska.
probably wouldn't have been Joe Biden, either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 01:59 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,844,917 times
if obama were white, hillary would have received the nomination.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:01 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,521,797 times
Quote:
So swing voters, what say you? Would an equally impressive, whiter candidate give you less pause? If you don't want to answer this prompt, if it's never occurred to you, I understand, but at least resolve to ask yourselves the question, and to answer it honestly before November.
It's kind of like what John Maynard Keynes said about investing in stocks: "it’s important to choose not who you think is the prettiest girl, but who the judges will think is the prettiest girl".

Whites who like to vote for Obama may hesitate to vote for him because they think other whites will not vote for him because he is black, thus dooming his chance for election. The swing white voter may be trying to anticipate what other white voters are thinking; if the swing voter thinks other white voters will not vote for Obama because he is black, then that may convince him not to waste his vote on Obama as well. People like to vote for the winner (the bandwagon mentality), just as people like to put money in stocks they think will go up in value. So there's a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy dynamic in play here.

So I think there is some basis for the OP's statement that if Obama were white, he'd have an easier time winning.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:03 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,889,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Those guys didn't pretend to be as white as Obama.
Well that's just about the dumbest......

Exactly what about Obama makes you say he's pretending to be white? What, he don't sag, he don't slang, he don't talk like dis hea? Open your eyes dude.

BTW, I guess my first post on this thread was completely ignored.....

Old 09-13-2008, 02:06 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
This is scary. My god they need to begin to test people to
see if they should have the right to vote.
You pick your president by how cute his wife is???????
So a biracial (Suzanne Malveaux) woman with European
features looks better to you?
That may be understandable. We often view beauty in
those who resemble us.
You can't judge other races by European standards of beauty.
You can't pick the next president by how hot his wife is
otherwise Brad Pitt would be in the white house
Absolutely !

Old 09-13-2008, 02:09 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Why would being white matter? He's still inexperienced and he would have had to run against the equally white but EXPERIENCED Hillary.

Do you think Oprah would have spent all that money renting stadiums and putting on shows for a white male candidate? That's what got him noticed in a big way! She probably would have supported Hillary if a black candidate wasn't running.
I'm sure she held fund raisers for Clinton. I could be wrong.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:16 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,081 times
Unfortunately, if Obama Loses the election it won't be because the majority are Pro McCain or Pro McCains Policies or Pro life. It will be because there are many people who are Anti Black. In this day and age that is outrageous but a fact.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:20 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,200 times
Default you're wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Unfortunately, if Obama Loses the election it won't be because the majority are Pro McCain or Pro McCains Policies or Pro life. It will be because there are many people who are Anti Black. In this day and age that is outrageous but a fact.
UNFORTUNATELY,....

If Obama loses the election there will be many that attribute it to that reason rather than admit the fact that he simply lost the election - fair and square... and that is a sad fact.

I, for one, am more than a little tired of all of the guilt and manipulation that is being used to camoflague the real issues...

Last edited by World Citizen; 09-13-2008 at 02:30 PM..

3,722 posts, read 4,307,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
If Obama Were White...

I think he would win by a landslide. I think more of us are turned off by his skin color than are aware of it.

Try to imagine it: a brilliant, articulate, public-serving scholar who came from nowhere and nobody to the steps of the most powerful position on Earth?

I know many of you will be unmoved by this hypothetical, and there are many others who will say, "He has my support now as he would then." But to those of you who are still on the fence, who maybe are leaning towards him but for some sense of apprehension, what about it? Am I off, or do you concede it may make a difference?
Great question. Also reminds me of the scene in "A Time To Kill" when Matthew McConaughey is giving his closing statement and goes into the details very slowly and precise about the rape of a ten year old Black girl by two white men. The Jury had already decided to find her father (Samuel L Jackson) guilty of murdering the white men, when he tells them at the end of his narration to imagine she (the Black girl) was white girl. Her farther was found not guilty.

I don't care how progressive you think y'all are there is still a big divide in the USA, hence why so many see that scary monster Palin and the great white hope.

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
I disagree. the fact is Obama is more inspirational than Bill CLinton was in 1992. If he were white, he would be picking up southern states.

Inspirational? How? Hope and change without substance can only go so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections