Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 03:10 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
OK, for all those who are soooooo convinced that Obama is only in the position he's in because he's (HALF) black, answer this question:

Why now? Why is it that now a black presidential hopeful is getting a free pass. Why not last election when two blacks ran. And one of them was a woman for god sake.

Oh and another thing.... What about Bill Richardson? He's (half) Hispanic. That's not white. So why didn't he get a pass? Why are you not making a big deal about him?

.....Oh that's right, he didn't make it this far.......
You're right about one thing...

Timing is everything. We have evolved as a nation... no doubt.

He is eloquent. He's a nice looking man... the fact that he's done so well proves that we have come a long way.

Mr. Richardson does not have the presence that Mr. Obama has but that doesn't mean Obama's got the experience he needs to be president.

But, is he really ready to be president or is it all pretty words?

Last edited by World Citizen; 09-13-2008 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 03:18 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
You're right about one thing...

Timing is everything. We have evolved as a nation... no doubt.

He is eloquent. He's a nice looking man... the fact that he's done so well proves that we have come a long way.
I think we were pretty evolved as a nation 8 years ago....

Quote:
Mr. Richardson does not have the presence that Obama has but that doesn't mean Obama's got the experience.

But, is he really ready to be president or is it all pretty words?
I don't know about you, but I can say the same thing about McCain.

Think about it like this..... even the oldest man in the world who's seen and done everything is STILL capable of doing something stupid and going the wrong way. Just think about most 90 year olds who still drive.......

Old 09-13-2008, 03:20 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
He'd never get the media support. . . they'd have long ago split for Hillary or Edwards or another. Picture a Gore with connections to unrepentant domestic terrorists; it would actually be reported and looked into. Obama gets a free pass.

Ironic thing is that he's really killing the democratic party. Any other nominee and they'd be coasting to victory and taking all number of congressional seats with him. . . If things continue; and they may or may not, an easy dem landslide could turn into disaster.
I do agree with your last point: He could be killing the democratic party's chances in '08. But if so, I believe it will be the fault of the electorate and not his.

I disagree however that the media would have long ago split for Hillary or Edwards or for anyone else, because it is not his race that attracts their attention it's him, and they would have been just as smitten with a white, charismatic, intelligent, and I believe fair-minded candidate.

Last edited by ExPit; 09-13-2008 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Saturday sluggishness...missed a word.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:22 PM

454 posts, read 748,892 times
Didn't Kerry lose the election in 2004? I think more people are turned off by the left-wing ideology than race.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
OK, for all those who are soooooo convinced that Obama is only in the position he's in because he's (HALF) black, answer this question:

Why now? Why is it that now a black presidential hopeful is getting a free pass. Why not last election when two blacks ran. And one of them was a woman for god sake.

Oh and another thing.... What about Bill Richardson? He's (half) Hispanic. That's not white. So why didn't he get a pass? Why are you not making a big deal about him?

.....Oh that's right, he didn't make it this far.......

Biden answered that long ago:

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."

Old 09-13-2008, 03:38 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Biden answered that long ago:

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."
Do you think that Joe Biden, whom I respect, would have said even before he knew he'd be the VP pick, that it was the only reaso Obama got this far?

Old 09-13-2008, 03:40 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Maybe a valid point...Try to imagine it: a brilliant, articulate, public-serving scholar who came from nowhere and nobody to the steps of the 2nd most powerful position on Earth....and you've got Sarah Palin.
..you forgot the Harvard and Columbia thing. No biggie.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
He never would have beaten clinton. Period. The ONLY reason he is the nominee is because he is black.
Actually, that may be half the reason. He is half black, after all.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Oh, is this a finish-the-sentence exercise?

If Obama were white . . .

. . . no one would have ever heard of him.
. . . Hillary Clinton would be the Dem nominee.
. . . he would lack the one thing he has going for him in this election.
. . . his odds of having a wife who is NOT an angry skank would be higher.
Angry 'skank'? How do you define 'skank'? Is that a like a pregnant unmarried teenager? Like that?

Old 09-13-2008, 03:49 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
If Obama Were White...

I think he would win by a landslide. I think more of us are turned off by his skin color than are aware of it.

Try to imagine it: a brilliant, articulate, public-serving scholar who came from nowhere and nobody to the steps of the most powerful position on Earth?

I know many of you will be unmoved by this hypothetical, and there are many others who will say, "He has my support now as he would then." But to those of you who are still on the fence, who maybe are leaning towards him but for some sense of apprehension, what about it? Am I off, or do you concede it may make a difference?
There is definately truth to this. Believe me, I'm the last person to support these idiots that play the race, sex, etc. card every chance they get. But I have heard it with my own ears. I know several people in Michigan & Ohio that won't vote for him because he's black. These are true blue, union rat democrats...And the only reason they can give is that Obama is black.

I really don't care for Obama, because of his politics, but the worst thing for this country would be another 4yrs of Bush (McCain), and it would be such a shame to end up with a disaster like McCain/Palin because people didn't want to vote for a black guy. Although his wife doesn't seem to help much with her angry upper middle-class/rich black woman syndrome problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections