U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2008, 03:29 PM
 
Location: DC area
1,691 posts, read 2,196,206 times
Reputation: 641

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Barack. Obama. Is. Only. ****Half.**** ****Black.****

Ahem....thank you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
Please do not mention he is half white, he will only use that a week or so before the election.

He cannot be the first Black President ever, because he is not 100% black.

So history cannot be made with him anyway.
Here is a question for you two. I would remind you first, that this is an anonymous message board where no one you know IRL will see your answer unless you choose for them to.

When you see Obama, anywhere, since day one, do you think there goes the white guy, the half white guy or the black guy?

Me, straight up, I see him and think black.

 
Old 09-14-2008, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
8,287 posts, read 7,511,677 times
Reputation: 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
WRONG! This is right-wing Christian Evangalical privilege. I am white; I feel the same as you and believe me, it has nothing to do with being white. I see the same hypocricy you see. This has everything to do with the right-wing base Chistian/Evangalical/fundamentalist base seeing Palin as someone "God has brought up to be in this role in our country." It is as scary to me as it is to you. I'm a Christian too; but not of the type that wants to take our country down the Christian Taliban road. Let's work together in understanding what is going on here and not make this a black vs. white thing, because it's not. Maybe it is for some; for me, it is not.
But you are talking about privilege. Different kinds of privileges can be at work at the same time.
 
Old 09-14-2008, 03:30 PM
 
2,015 posts, read 4,653,873 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
This was written by a white woman who is also a feminist...
White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack

As far as the election, I think that a far higher number of people would refuse to vote for someone based on race than on gender.


Daily effects of white privilege
[Mod edited for copyright]

Sorry, this "White Privilege Doctrine" is full of cr*p. Please don't sway more people to the McCain/Palin side because you are po'ing them off by typing this posting this kind of nonsense. We already have enough wedges to divide us. Starting race warfare is not going to help us who want a Democrat in office in the Fall.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 09-14-2008 at 04:19 PM..
 
Old 09-14-2008, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Imaginary Figment
11,456 posts, read 12,696,492 times
Reputation: 4759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
WRONG! This is right-wing Christian Evangalical privilege. I am white; I feel the same as you and believe me, it has nothing to do with being white.
Nowhere did I,or the original author,elude to this type of hypocrisy being typical of all whites. The right-wing "Christian" evangelical Caucasian was probably among the writer's demographic however.
 
Old 09-14-2008, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
8,287 posts, read 7,511,677 times
Reputation: 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Sorry, this "White Privilege Doctrine" is full of cr*p. Please don't sway more people to the McCain/Palin side because you are po'ing them off by typing this posting this kind of nonsense. We already have enough wedges to divide us. Starting race warfare is not going to help us who want a Democrat in office in the Fall.
If you are willing to acknowledge "right-wing base Chistian/Evangalical/fundamentalist" privilege, why can't the same kind of thing be at work when it comes to race? *real question*
 
Old 09-14-2008, 03:33 PM
 
5,697 posts, read 5,444,163 times
Reputation: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
"White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because “every family has challenges,” even as black and Latino families with similar “challenges” are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay."

"White privilege is when you can claim that being mayor of a town smaller than most medium-sized colleges, and then Governor of a state with about the same number of people as the lower fifth of the island of Manhattan, makes you ready to potentially be president, and people don’t all **** on themselves with laughter, while being a black U.S. Senator, two-term state Senator, and constitutional law scholar, means you’re “untested.”
"

"White privilege is being able to make fun of community organizers and the work they do--like, among other things, fight for the right of women to vote, or for civil rights, or the 8-hour workday, or an end to child labor--and people think you’re being pithy and tough, but if you merely question the experience of a small town mayor and 18-month governor with no foreign policy expertise beyond a class she took in college--you’re somehow being mean, or even sexist.
"

More Here (http://www.redroom.com/blog/tim-wise/this-your-nation-white-privilege - broken link)



This is the biggest crap I have read all day!~!
 
Old 09-14-2008, 03:35 PM
 
2,015 posts, read 4,653,873 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
But you are talking about privilege. Different kinds of privileges can be at work at the same time.
Whatever. I don't have time for some kind of mind-bending circular logic. My focus is on coming together as the Democratic party and keeping McCain out of office. All the other stuff out there is distraction. Look, the Christian Evangalicals united because they find a common groups to hate. I'd like for us to come together for candidates who will guide our country to healing and away from the 8 years of the Bush/Cheney hate fest that's been perpetrated on us.
 
Old 09-14-2008, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Imaginary Figment
11,456 posts, read 12,696,492 times
Reputation: 4759
Seven pages, and nobody has actually addressed the real time examples provided by the author. Instead we've had a barrage of ad hominem and strawman attacks.
 
Old 09-14-2008, 03:37 PM
 
2,015 posts, read 4,653,873 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Nowhere did I,or the original author,elude to this type of hypocrisy being typical of all whites. The right-wing "Christian" evangelical Caucasian was probably among the writer's demographic however.

Good, because it's NOT typical of all whites. None of us can change our skin color; we can only change/adjust what's in our minds and hearts.
 
Old 09-14-2008, 03:38 PM
 
2,015 posts, read 4,653,873 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
If you are willing to acknowledge "right-wing base Chistian/Evangalical/fundamentalist" privilege, why can't the same kind of thing be at work when it comes to race? *real question*
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top