Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:54 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
If Obama goes too dirty, will it alienate the people who support him because of his promise to transcend traditional dirty style politics? This was a big part of his campaign promise in the primaries.
McCain made very similar promises, only to throw that out the door.
McCain pledges 'respectful campaign' - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 07:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
my bet (and i am betting with real money) is that the american people are a whole lot smarter than 8 years ago.
when the daddy warbucks & lil orphan annie show is over.
obama will stop this war. that is the only issue.
its about the money, show me the money.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:58 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Heck no! These are some of the most vile, vicious, evil people around. DailyKos, MediaMatters, Moveon - all vile creatures with a putrid hatred that permeates their little lives.
I wasn't thinking so much about the diehard supporters. I was thinking more about the large number of new to politics voters or sick of the usual dirty politics crowd who were drawn to Obama's call to transcend dirty politics. Would going dirty turn these people off from Obama and maybe they'd just sit out the election?

Old 09-14-2008, 08:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Unfortunately, this is what it comes down to. It's not the issues, credentials, or even truthfulness. It's who has the better advertising agency.
That is what WINS. Elections are about WINNING on Election Day. Obama seems to have forgot that. First he stupidly rejects Hillary as VP and picks "Mr Personality" Biden and now he is making gaffes and putting lame ass TV ads on the air.
If you don't want to WIN then don't play the game.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
If Obama goes too dirty, will it alienate the people who support him because of his promise to transcend traditional dirty style politics? This was a big part of his campaign promise in the primaries.
I am saying that he has to "dirty". What he needs to do is to STICK to the ISSUES that people care about! He could learn alot from Bill Clinton. Remember when the older Bush tried the same crap and Clinton came out with "It's The ECONOMY Stupid"? Remember Clinton's rules of engangement with the news media and his opposition ("Americans prefer STRONG and WRONG to weak and right").

Old 09-14-2008, 08:29 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
If I were writing ads for Obama, I'd just ask...four more years?? I mean, are we good with the illegally declared/money sucking war in Iraq? Gas prices? Deficit? Debt? Government bailout of Wall Street? Out of control illegal immigration? Abuse of our civil liberties? Thanks, George. Obama may not do a thing about these issues, but I just can't let the same party continue in power.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM

Right now Dow Jones Futures are 315 points down. Obama's people should be in the studio tonight editing an ad to get on TV by tomorrow night reminding people who made this mess and why their 401(k) took a dive Monday. It is quite possible that stocks could tumble 400 points tomorrow! But I bet they won't even bring it up just like they didn't when unemployment went up to 6.1% last week. Not one mention in an ad. Nothing... nada. Just lipstick, pigs and "McCain can't use a computer". God save us, please!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:58 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
Quote:
Right now Dow Jones Futures are 315 points down. Obama's people should be in the studio tonight editing an ad to get on TV by tomorrow night reminding people who made this mess and why their 401(k) took a dive Monday.
Obama should fire away on the economy. Keep talking about it. Put out ads like the one you described. This sinking economy will not improve in 7 weeks, so Obama has plenty of ammunition to use against McCain.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Obama should fire away on the economy. Keep talking about it. Put out ads like the one you described. This sinking economy will not improve in 7 weeks, so Obama has plenty of ammunition to use against McCain.
I suspect it will be much worse in 7 weeks. The Fed has ran out of ammo to shoot at it and Paulson waving his arms like Jesus trying to calm the waters does not sem to be working anymor either.
But Obama and his people must jump on it. Not tomorrow but right now! David Axlerod should be convening a meeting of the top campaign people right now. Not tomorrow but tonight! And they should be spending the night putting together a plan to get this issue and the campaign back on track. And if that means we have to work all night and order pizza and coffee so be it. But by tomorrow morning we are going to have a plan and start executing it.
That is what good campaigns do.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:41 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I suspect it will be much worse in 7 weeks. The Fed has ran out of ammo to shoot at it and Paulson waving his arms like Jesus trying to calm the waters does not sem to be working anymor either.
But Obama and his people must jump on it. Not tomorrow but right now! David Axlerod should be convening a meeting of the top campaign people right now. Not tomorrow but tonight! And they should be spending the night putting together a plan to get this issue and the campaign back on track. And if that means we have to work all night and order pizza and coffee so be it. But by tomorrow morning we are going to have a plan and start executing it.
That is what good campaigns do.
Then the spin will be squarely on Obama talking down the economy and wishing bad things upon the people. Why is it if unemployment goes up, Obama is happy? Why is it that if the Dow goes down, Obama is happy? ETC. Better be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections