U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 11:00 AM

8,062 posts, read 16,219,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Isn't that about what the docs are getting from insurers? If we cut out the profit payment to the insurance company, we can give a larger fair share to the doctors who actually render the treatment.
No, reimbursement rates for Medicaid and Medicare are lower than what traditional insurers pay. And, as I said, Medicaid and Medicare patients take more time and management from the docs.

You also seem to have missed the fact that I get my Medicare through a private insurance company by paying additional premiums. Sterling Life Insurance Company, to be precise. I'm quite sure they are making some sort of profit and not administering the care of Medicare patients out of the goodness of their hearts.

So, if "socialized" care is so wonderful, why permit this option? If you did any research, you would realize that in socialized systems, such as in Britain, you would see that many people are opting to buy insurance in the private sector to get better, faster care. "Socialized medicine" alone doesn't seem to be working well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 11:05 AM

1,867 posts, read 3,675,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
So, if "socialized" care is so wonderful, why permit this option? If you did any research, you would realize that in socialized systems, such as in Britain, you would see that many people are opting to buy insurance in the private sector to get better, faster care. "Socialized medicine" alone doesn't seem to be working well.
And I think it is more than fine to spend money to get better and faster care if you have it to spend. I know I would do that if needed. However, its nice to at least have a BASIC amount of care even if you have to wait for it on a waiting list or its not the best care that money can buy. And if you've got the cash, you can always get the best that money can buy. No socialized system will or should stop that.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:46 PM

14,326 posts, read 15,143,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
NoVa already is. NC also. And NE Tennessee is on its way
Why?

You think those that escaped what they produced would have learned something.

Everyone I know that fled NJ do not want to recreate what they abandoned.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:24 AM

442 posts, read 717,769 times
I still like the title of your thread, Alexus. California is leaking libs into neighboring states, like a giant sore or tumor...

Old 10-11-2008, 10:43 AM

22,896 posts, read 16,281,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Everyone I know that fled NJ do not want to recreate what they abandoned.
You are sure right about that. I had the pleasure of living in the town with the craziest mayor in the USA - Mr. Steve Lonegan. No way would I wish that on anyone

Old 10-11-2008, 12:52 PM

How PROUD Californians must be!!!!! Their Guvernator is crying for FEDERAL HELP because the state can't pay its bills and make its payroll!!! Hahahahahahahaha -- see what happens to a state comprised of mostly Looney Libs!

I do feel sorry for OC and other fiscally conservative counties in Cali, though.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:08 PM

2,766 posts, read 6,512,236 times
Quote:
How PROUD Californians must be!!!!! Their Guvernator is crying for FEDERAL HELP because the state can't pay its bills and make its payroll!!! Hahahahahahahaha -- see what happens to a state comprised of mostly Looney Libs!

I do feel sorry for OC and other fiscally conservative counties in Cali, though.

Teatime, I normally agree with you but don't start knocking my home state now. lol

You are right for the most part that this is a very liberal state, and that's one of the few things I dislike about it here, but I live in San Diego where in many parts of the county it's conservative, it's more liberal in San Diego city limits where I don't happen to live.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Teatime, I normally agree with you but don't start knocking my home state now. lol

You are right for the most part that this is a very liberal state, and that's one of the few things I dislike about it here, but I live in San Diego where in many parts of the county it's conservative, it's more liberal in San Diego city limits where I don't happen to live.
Sorry! Well, maybe you and yours can wake up the looney libs through this crisis and get moderate-conservative leaders elected. It's a shame that y'all have to suffer for the actions and policies of the loons!

Old 10-11-2008, 01:19 PM

2,766 posts, read 6,512,236 times
Quote:
Sorry! Well, maybe you and yours can wake up the looney libs through this crisis and get moderate-conservative leaders elected. It's a shame that y'all have to suffer for the actions and policies of the loons!
And I definitely agree with you here, and if some of the liberals are fleeing this great state for other places I say good, because that means at least one less here.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:22 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,587,964 times
To some extent this is true, however I see a greater number of liberals (ie Democrats) flooding into places like California and other horribly liberal states, thereby blunting their impact as voters in the more traditional (ie Conservative) states. I see a large number of more conservative Californians, like my self, leaving, even after 40 or 50 years of suffering under the oppressive regimes of San Francisco liberals for more middle of the road/conservative states.
Liberals will continue to flood to the states that they already control. California, Massachusetts are forgone conclusions but other states will gain conservatives as they finally flee the ever increasingly liberal coastal enclaves. The liberals only have a few places to move to that fit the bill as being 'liberal' enough to suit them. San Francisco, Seattle, New York....but conservatives will spread out to any number of other states that are more American, conservative to middle of the road. The conservative vote will be spread out and will tend to count more in the upcoming years particularly in swing-vote states. The liberal vote will be more concentrated in already notoriously liberal areas, and will have less effect in the future. I honestly don't think enough Krazy Khalifornian Lheeebrals will move to any red state in enough numbers to really make a difference. What we are likely to see is blue states becoming more blue....and red states more red.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or