U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:18 AM

14,505 posts, read 23,728,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Maybe Bush, Cheney, and their conservative oil buddies can give some of those enormous profits they enjoyed as a result of their warmongering activities.

Maybe Bush can urge McCain to stand aside since he obviously also is part of the problem.

I bet Palin isn't able to recognize or tell a Wall Street from Picabo Street.
lol- Palin on Gibson interview...."Bush is trying to make the world safer, to keep the bad guys out"...

so if Bush likes Wall Street, I imagine she will go along for the ride, she may want to watch the Charlie Sheen movie on cable sometime, to give herself a quick intro to what it is....(its dated, but so are her ideas, so its all good.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 AM

5,527 posts, read 8,953,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
WHERE HAS CONGRESS BEEN FOR TWO YEARS??
Oh, yeah
doing NOTHING??
Since they have taken over it has gone to hell
time to clean house!!
This started WAY before 2 years ago. 2 years ago is when the 1st of the foreclosures started. You have to realize that during the first few years of these ARMs, the buyers were fine. It's once those rates started doubling and tripling (2 years ago) when they started feeling the hit.

During the high point of the market, people were buying homes they could not afford on either a ARM or a Interest only loan. When the ARMs collapsed a few years later it brought down the vale of homes through foreclosures which in essence screwed the interest only people and then people who took out a loan other than a fixed started to get hammered with the deflating market.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 AM

1,691 posts, read 2,196,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliana_b View Post
Fair enough, SGrey.

I still wonder if they could have done more, though.
I think they could have but then I think they all could have done more. Bailing the companies out is nothing more than a band aid at this point. It won't fix anything yet in some cases we're going to have to do it or the market will collapse.

I'll admit I don't know the finer details of economics. It's certainly not in my area of expertise but I have several friends with degrees in it that shake their heads every time we talk while asking "don't American's realize how close to the edge we are teetering?" I really don't think, as a whole, that we do or you'd see a lot less of people saying 'oh look that candidate is evil, see see' and a whole lot more of people going how are we going to fix it and who has the best plan for that. Followed closely by people reading the fine points for themselves instead of regurgitating what they hear on CNN, FOX, this blog or that paper.

Quote:
During the high point of the market, people were buying homes they could not afford on either a ARM or a Interest only loan.
Interest only loans are a good point that highlights this debacle. As I understand them they should rarely be taken out by young to middle aged people as a way to finance a house loan. Yet they were in abundance.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
lol- Palin on Gibson interview...."Bush is trying to make the world safer, to keep the bad guys out"...:rolleyes
Unfortunately most of the "bad guys" are sitting in government, getting paid thanks to shady lending practices or collecting multi-million dollar stock buyouts, bonuses or salaries.

Last edited by tluv00; 09-15-2008 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: paid not laid...of course they are getting that too :-)

Old 09-15-2008, 11:26 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,859,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Pretty irrational post. If you really believe that only one party, and the current POTUS are completely responsible for this mess, you have definitely been consumed completely by partisan politics. This is a bi-party disaster, nobody is free from blame.

Most of it rests on Dubya's shoulders. The financial corps have been whining for years about deregulation, using the argument that the "market will be self-correcting." So, Bush and Cheney did deregulate these guys, and they reacted like a teenager with a new credit card.

Now that we're at the point where the "market is correcting" their foul-ups, they want us taxpayers to pay for their irresponsibility. In other words, they want it both ways. They want to come up with hare-brained schemes based on "derivatives" and other illusionary economics while being propped up by a government safety net.

They should heed their own advice and let the market decide their fate.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:27 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,859,461 times
Quote:
lol- Palin on Gibson interview...."Bush is trying to make the world safer, to keep the bad guys out"...

so if Bush likes Wall Street, I imagine she will go along for the ride, she may want to watch the Charlie Sheen movie on cable sometime, to give herself a quick intro to what it is....(its dated, but so are her ideas, so its all good.)

Palin is just Bush with lipstick.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
They are already prepping for it, it seems.

If I hear another Palin quote telling us we will need to fight Russia, I will become seriously ill. They must think Americans have no clue. What they always wanted.
If we go to war with Russia it's over. We will get our a$$es handed to us. If we cannot even send enough troops to Afghanistan AND Iraq, how the hell do we fight Russia along with the other countries that hate the US right now.

When your military is spread thin and your country is not looked favorably upon by the world, you don't go picking fights. You need to come to a non hostile conclusion through talks or concessions. To go into an election preaching war and fighting is ludicrous, but not a ludicrous as the people who are willing to vote for it based on party alone.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:30 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,896,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliana_b View Post
Fair enough, SGrey.

I still wonder if they could have done more, though.
A majority Congress faces two major challenges, filibuster and procedural roadblocks from the minority and the President's pen. When Congress is blamed for inaction often times it's simplified down from something much more complex, such as amendments attached to bills by the opposition in an effort to stymie legislation. Both parties do it, but for the Republicans to outright accuse the other party of "doing nothing" while glossing over their efforts to "prevent something" is disingenuous. I'd be more inclined to respect the Republicans if they hadn't run the deficit through the roof and spent us as close to the brink of the pinnacle as humanly possible in an 8 year period. The return of the fiscal conservatives in both houses is the natural progression and result of this obscene behavior and ultimately with the right President we should get policy and legislation that reflects the will of the people.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:02 PM

11,327 posts, read 5,929,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Most of it rests on Dubya's shoulders.
Nope. Plenty of info on the previous pages in this very thread to dispute that.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
A majority Congress faces two major challenges, filibuster and procedural roadblocks from the minority and the President's pen. When Congress is blamed for inaction often times it's simplified down from something much more complex, such as amendments attached to bills by the opposition in an effort to stymie legislation. Both parties do it, but for the Republicans to outright accuse the other party of "doing nothing" while glossing over their efforts to "prevent something" is disingenuous. I'd be more inclined to respect the Republicans if they hadn't run the deficit through the roof and spent us as close to the brink of the pinnacle as humanly possible in an 8 year period. The return of the fiscal conservatives in both houses is the natural progression and result of this obscene behavior and ultimately with the right President we should get policy and legislation that reflects the will of the people.
This is a great point. Most initiatives are knocked down not because of the main issue, but something attached. It's the same as when a candidate has voted for some outrageous law to be passed because it was attached to one that is beneficial to the country/constituents. I understand why they are lumped together but it's so f****ng counterproductive. Damn or government is stupid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or