U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:36 AM

8,062 posts, read 16,181,411 times

Advertisements

As y'all watch gas prices in your area rise because of Hurricane Ike's devastation, perhaps you'll actually come to the realization that we desperately NEED more domestic oil production and refineries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 11:40 AM

1,691 posts, read 2,195,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
We could've been drilling but the oil companies are sitting on TEN THOUSAND leases...all they have to do is start drilling.
This, to me, is the beginning and end of the drilling debate. They could have drilled, drilled, drilled! for years and haven't.

Quote:
As y'all watch gas prices in your area rise because of Hurricane Ike's devastation, perhaps you'll actually come to the realization that we desperately NEED more domestic oil production and refineries.
Which remains a short term solution. In the long term we need to get the heck off our oil dependency. Period. Full stop.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:43 AM

27,903 posts, read 34,337,554 times
Do it now.....that way as we work our way of being so dependent on it we can still sell it to countries that need it and make money adding to our GDP.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:44 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,977,169 times
Total gimmick for reasons stated here by others.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:51 AM

3,918 posts, read 7,708,727 times
Again, for those who say "drill, do it now!" Who? Who's going to drill? Have you heard Exxon or Chevron talking about it? Don't kid yourself - It doesn't matter if YOU want it or not, the oil companies aren't going to spend billions on exploration/new rigs so they can make less profit so that you can save a little bit on gas. Gimmick!!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 AM

27,903 posts, read 34,337,554 times
Why We Need Expanded Access for Drilling on Government Lands and Offshore

Old 09-15-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
This, to me, is the beginning and end of the drilling debate. They could have drilled, drilled, drilled! for years and haven't.

Which remains a short term solution. In the long term we need to get the heck off our oil dependency. Period. Full stop.
The Dems have systematically fought drilling. They just did an about-face over the summer when they saw they were losing in the court of public opinion.

And of course it needs to be part of a multi-faceted approach with conservation, alternative energy, etc. But our cars, buses, trucks, planes, etc. run on oil-based fuels. And transportation costs affect everything we buy and need.

Hey, I switched out to the energy-saving bulbs, I line-dry my clothes whenever possible, I keep my AC set on 85 (!), and use small room heaters in the winter. Plus, my electric plan uses alternative energy. But I STILL have to drive or be driven in a gas-powered vehicle!

We NEED more domestic sources! And, yes, we should have been drilling long before this but the Dems thwarted those plans constantly saying it won't provide a fast solution. Duh, but NO ENERGY PLAN provides amazing relief in the short-term. We have to GET STARTED and develop!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Again, for those who say "drill, do it now!" Who? Who's going to drill? Have you heard Exxon or Chevron talking about it? Don't kid yourself - It doesn't matter if YOU want it or not, the oil companies aren't going to spend billions on exploration/new rigs so they can make less profit so that you can save a little bit on gas. Gimmick!!
You know nothing about oil production/development, do you? Ever hear of "wildcatters?"

Old 09-15-2008, 11:56 AM

2,739 posts, read 7,829,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
We could've been drilling but the oil companies are sitting on TEN THOUSAND leases...all they have to do is start drilling.

Why haven't they been???

Because NOW those leases are considered assets and that makes them look better to their stockholders....talk to the stockholders and ask them why they don't want oil companies to drill??????

Of course Palin wants drilling in Alaska to bring MONEY into Alaska even though it's inferior oil and will take several years to refine and then it will only briing down gas prices by a few cents.

Alaska has "inferior" oil? What's your source? National Enguirer?
Alaska is a HUGE state, and likely has widely different grades of crude...just like other places...

Bud

Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 AM

531 posts, read 822,009 times
Gimmick. Those people at the RNC chanting "Drill baby drill" probably all think if we drill we can go back to $2/gallon gas. Sorry to burst your bubble, but higher gas prices are here to stay. In fact they should be more. I think gas should cost $7 a gallon if that's what it takes to get people to use less and think about alternative sources of energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or