U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 06:20 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,938,684 times

Advertisements

This question isn't about Palin, it's about JM. Why did he pick Palin?

If she had been a man who... had 20 months of Governor experience (and mayoral, city council and pta experience), got his passport a year ago, had a colorful family, and so on....would he have picked him?

Why did he pick Palin? What does she add to the ticket?

Why didn't he pick any of the countless of experienced, hard working, equally conservative Republican women (including Condoleeza Rice)? It seems odd to me.

Why has the Republican party embraced Palin? Would they have embraced her the way they would have had her name been Steve Palin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 06:29 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,086,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
This question isn't about Palin, it's about JM. Why did he pick Palin?

If she had been a man who... had 20 months of Governor experience (and mayoral, city council and pta experience), got his passport a year ago, had a colorful family, and so on....would he have picked him?

Why did he pick Palin? What does she add to the ticket?

Why didn't he pick any of the countless of experienced, hard working, equally conservative Republican women (including Condoleeza Rice)? It seems odd to me.

Why has the Republican party embraced Palin? Would they have embraced her the way they would have had her name been Steve Palin?
No, he wouldn't have picked a man with identical lack of experience. Palin was chosen because she's a good looking woman....no other qualifications.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:33 PM

3,508 posts, read 11,934,858 times
If Biden bows out of the vp due to health issues, Obama has no chance of winning except with Hillary. The candidates did not pick their own running mates, the parties did.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
If Biden bows out of the vp due to health issues, Obama has no chance of winning except with Hillary. The candidates did not pick their own running mates, the parties did.
Why would Biden bow out? Is his health really that bad? Maybe McCain will bow out if he keeps getting such small crowds.

Has anyone considered that maybe Hillary was asked to run and said no?

Agreed that the parties have a big stake in the VP choice, but there is some say by the candidate.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:38 PM

3,491 posts, read 7,751,825 times
Nope he wouldnt have. the whole "gimmick" is that she is a woman.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:40 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,399,953 times
I think the Rep Party were trying to balance McCain's age & health issues, as well as his "rough" image with a youth, vigor and a more "appealing" image.

Obama had him beat being a smooth, relatively young, and cosmopolitan persona. I think the Reps were hoping that Palin would smooth McCain out in the eyes of the undecided.

I agree they also grabbed a woman to dredge for Hilary supporters. I wouldn't be overly surprised to find out later that some of the other qualified female Rep candidates had declined the invitation.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:41 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,129,307 times
funny thing is that Palin is attracting larger crowds then Biden.
He was in NC with about 60 people.

She gets a few hundred to thousands!

BTW - If you say she has no qualifications, then why dont you POST BACK when you become a mayor, then get voted in as a Governor.

I'll make it easy on you. YOU CAN RUN FOR MAYOR IN ANY STATE AND GOVERNOR OF ANY STATE.

If you think it's that easy then why didn't Obama do it?
Yep...didn't think so.

BTW I forgot to announce myself. 'Present'

Quote:
Why would Biden bow out? Is his health really that bad? Maybe McCain will bow out if he keeps getting such small crowds.

Has anyone considered that maybe Hillary was asked to run and said no?

Agreed that the parties have a big stake in the VP choice, but there is some say by the candidate.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I think the Rep Party were trying to balance McCain's age & health issues, as well as his "rough" image with a youth, vigor and a more "appealing" image.

Obama had him beat being a smooth, relatively young, and cosmopolitan persona. I think the Reps were hoping that Palin would smooth McCain out in the eyes of the undecided.

I agree they also grabbed a woman to dredge for Hilary supporters. I wouldn't be overly surprised to find out later that some of the other qualified female Rep candidates had declined the invitation.
But charm aren't really pertinent to a person's suitability for the presidency. So she's young and charming....and?

As for the Hilary supporters, no way. Why would a liberal woman switch to a conservative woman just because she's a woman???

Old 09-15-2008, 06:48 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,399,953 times
Surprisingly, public appearance and appeal consistently seems to play a large part of presidential elections. It certainly doesn't mean the person is, or is not, qualified or suitable for the office... it's just the "celebrity factor".

I didn't say that political parties made sense when they made decisions... I think they just figured a woman was a woman, or maybe they were just hoping to pick up any undecideds that liked the idea of a woman in office.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:49 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,129,307 times
Oh really??? I wonder what obama does...

Please state the experience that obama has?
Nevermind you're that blind that you will ignore my question, and not post the answer.

Quote:
But charm aren't really pertinent to a person's suitability for the presidency. So she's young and charming....and?

As for the Hilary supporters, no way. Why would a liberal woman switch to a conservative woman just because she's a woman???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or