U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:34 AM

3,413 posts, read 7,989,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
And what bridge would that be again? I am from Cincinnati and have a ton of family and friends in KY...I have lived in Grenada, New Jersey (right outside of NYC), Pittsburgh and north of Detroit...and there are more billies in those places then in KY. No question...That comment is about as dumb as they come...You need to get more often...

Danielle, can you compare the levels of racism in each of the areas you mention?

For instance, Pittsburgh, Detroit, NJ and Kentucky?

I'm also well traveled and have lived all over the country. I've found that states like Kentucky, West Virginia and parts of Tennessee seem to be 10-15 years behind the rest of the country with regard to progress on the racial front.

It's still normal in those states for whites to refer to blacks with derogatory words and references. I know this happens everywhere but in those states it seems to be the norm and considered acceptable. There are towns in Kentucky where segregation is still the norm- separate seating areas, separate bathrooms and waiting rooms.

Hence, the opinion that a bunch of republican women in Kentucky are going to look at the color of a person's skin and make judgements rather than looking at the person on the inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 08:07 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,623,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Danielle, can you compare the levels of racism in each of the areas you mention?

For instance, Pittsburgh, Detroit, NJ and Kentucky?

I'm also well traveled and have lived all over the country. I've found that states like Kentucky, West Virginia and parts of Tennessee seem to be 10-15 years behind the rest of the country with regard to progress on the racial front.

It's still normal in those states for whites to refer to blacks with derogatory words and references. I know this happens everywhere but in those states it seems to be the norm and considered acceptable. There are towns in Kentucky where segregation is still the norm- separate seating areas, separate bathrooms and waiting rooms.

Hence, the opinion that a bunch of republican women in Kentucky are going to look at the color of a person's skin and make judgements rather than looking at the person on the inside.

What towns are these? I have been all over KY and have never seen that. I am 35 years old and have never seen that at all there... Maybe I just missed those towns...I would love to hear of them though... Do you know the names of them?

Pittsburgh,,,I have not been here too long. But, there is a bi-racial couple across the street. They say it is bad here (racism). They are from Cali where it is extremely diverse. I personally have not wittnessed any racism here at all.

Detoit...Well that city is majority black... The suburbs are majority white and I can say that racism is definitly a factor there... I have seen it on both sides of the fence though. Blacks against whites and whites against blacks...

NJ is very diverse so I did not see to much of anything there... It is just a melting pot of all kinds... Everyone pretty much minded themselves...

Ohio (where I am from) and KY... There is a population of older people... I would say white males around 65 years old who are all hell bent on the thought of a black man running for POTUS. There are even men (and I am sure women) that will vote against their party because of it. These people are dems and have been their whole life and will now vote repub because of Obama's skin color. They really think and fear that black people will 'overcome' everything we know. Kind of outlandish but that is seriously what they think. Very old school and closed minded way of thinking. I am just being honest and do not want to offend anyone here.
On the flip side, there is a huge population of younger people who are quite liberal and open minded who want this man (BO) to win...

I am sure that this racism exists each state... that does not make KY full of hillbillies...that kind of offends me when people say that... From all the places I have lived, I would probably opt for KY as a perm. place of residence... I like the simplicty and it is sparkling clean...it is the cheapest place for home buying and the people are very friendly.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:15 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,790,618 times
People certainly have a right to boycott Oprah or anyone else they want .

I will say this Oprah has done more for charity in house and foreign than all her critics combined and I include well paid GOP media talking heads in that bunch.

If 1/10 of our politicians cared about America as much as Oprah we would be living in Utopia .

Old 09-16-2008, 08:19 AM

3,413 posts, read 7,989,147 times
I've never referred to people in Kentucky as hillbillies. I think each state has their own version of "rednecks" regardless of north, south, east or west. And often, they are a bad example of the rest of the state.

I appreciate your honesty with regard to the racism in the deep south- it is an unfortunate reality- even the KKK remains fairly active and influential in those states.

I can't remember the city in Kentucky- I think it may have been Williamsburg where I saw the segregated doctor's office. I was there on business and was shocked that they had a room for colored and a room for whites. This was 2 years ago. I asked the doctor about this and he said everyone there preferred it that way and pointed to a cafe across the street that was divided into two rooms- one for colored, one for whites.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:30 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,623,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I've never referred to people in Kentucky as hillbillies. I think each state has their own version of "rednecks" regardless of north, south, east or west. And often, they are a bad example of the rest of the state.

I appreciate your honesty with regard to the racism in the deep south- it is an unfortunate reality- even the KKK remains fairly active and influential in those states.

I can't remember the city in Kentucky- I think it may have been Williamsburg where I saw the segregated doctor's office. I was there on business and was shocked that they had a room for colored and a room for whites. This was 2 years ago. I asked the doctor about this and he said everyone there preferred it that way and pointed to a cafe across the street that was divided into two rooms- one for colored, one for whites.
I know you didn't refer to KY with the hillbilly comment someone else did... So shallow and they obviously have not traveled much... But whatever...

Old 09-16-2008, 09:12 AM

239 posts, read 525,786 times
Palin should go on Ellen... Palin will never go on Oprah and she never said she did wanted to go on Oprah... Why are Palin support putting Oprah show above the rest...I would rather see her on Meet the Press or even Bill O......She running for VP not the P.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:15 AM

239 posts, read 525,786 times
forget Oprah let her go on the VIEW with Elizabeth

Old 09-16-2008, 09:15 AM

17,081 posts, read 8,717,948 times
Opran is a hypocritical fraud. I know many women who don't watch or like her anymore due to her taking a political stand and supporting Obama, instead of remaining neutral. I think the fact that she is snubbing Palin is icing on the cake.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:16 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,021,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zasie View Post
Palin should go on Ellen... Palin will never go on Oprah and she never said she did wanted to go on Oprah... Why are Palin support putting Oprah show above the rest...I would rather see her on Meet the Press or even Bill O......She running for VP not the P.
Oh, my God, I'd love to see what Ellen would do to her! Good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections