Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:54 PM

425 posts, read 665,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
IOWA CITY, Iowa — Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius accused Republicans on Tuesday of injecting race into the presidential campaign, arguing that they are using “code language” to convince Midwesterners that Democrat Barack Obama is different from them.

“Have any of you noticed that Barack Obama is part African-American?” Sebelius asked with sarcasm. “(Republicans) are not going to go lightly into the darkness...”

“...Iowa is likely to be a state that’s decided by a couple percentage points either way,” Sebelius said. “Sen. McCain’s on his way here Thursday. He clearly feels that Iowa is in play...”

Sebelius: GOP Using Racial ‘Code Language’ to Turn Voters From Obama - America’s Election HQ (broken link)

Okay, forget about the weird comment from the esteemed Governor from Kansas - I'm more interested in the fact that the Dems are in panic mode over Iowa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 06:15 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Incredible. McCain should pound obama again for his attempt to play the race card. The only people I see bringing race into this is the obama campaign and his supporters.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:16 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Incredible. McCain should pound obama again for his attempt to play the race card. The only people I see bringing race into this is the obama campaign and his supporters.
Obama and the campaign have been doing it for months. That whole victim mentality is hard to shake.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:19 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Yeah, they did it with Hill&Bill. Let them continue to call voters who won't vote for Obama racists. Let's see how far that gets them.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:21 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
Maybe Sebelius saw the word 'macaca' in a copy of a fax from GOP HQ.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:31 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
So can someone please address the poll findings in this Time article for me?
For Obama, Race Remains Elephant in the Room - TIME

I've posted it a few times on different race-related threads, but no one has taken issue with the results, which show that for some, though certainly not by any means all, race does make a difference on how they vote. I'm just curious about what people who take issue with the idea of race possibly factoring in at all in the election respond to this.

Here's a quote for those that don't want to read the whole article:
"Race is the elephant in the room of the 2008 campaign. In West Virginia's primary, one out of every four Hillary Clinton voters actually admitted to pollsters that race was a factor in their vote; that may be an Appalachian outlier, but even in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Ohio the figure was a troubling 1 in 10."

Thanks.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:40 PM

425 posts, read 665,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
So can someone please address the poll findings in this Time article for me?
For Obama, Race Remains Elephant in the Room - TIME

I've posted it a few times on different race-related threads, but no one has taken issue with the results, which show that for some, though certainly not by any means all, race does make a difference on how they vote. I'm just curious about what people who take issue with the idea of race possibly factoring in at all in the election respond to this.

Here's a quote for those that don't want to read the whole article:
"Race is the elephant in the room of the 2008 campaign. In West Virginia's primary, one out of every four Hillary Clinton voters actually admitted to pollsters that race was a factor in their vote; that may be an Appalachian outlier, but even in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Ohio the figure was a troubling 1 in 10."

Thanks.
I have never heard race being an issue within my circle of friends (but then I don't hang with people that would have an issue with it)

My personal observation is that an unforeseen incident occurred that knocked Obama flat (whatever race he happens to be) and took all the precious attention away from him.

The unforeseen incident? A smart, attractive, articulate, normal woman entered the contest

Obama was doing well and beating McCain; his race didn't just suddenly come in to play...

Old 09-16-2008, 06:45 PM

571 posts, read 853,147 times
Democrats don't get mixed into these debates republicans just want to distracted from the real issues. Because they know on the issues Obama wins, Do not respond to these type of Blogs

Old 09-16-2008, 06:46 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
I have never heard race being an issue within my circle of friends (but then I don't hang with people that would have an issue with it)

My personal observation is that an unforeseen incident occurred that knocked Obama flat (whatever race he happens to be) and took all the precious attention away from him.

The unforeseen incident? A smart, attractive, articulate, normal woman entered the contest

Obama was doing well and beating McCain; his race didn't just suddenly come in to play...
Yes, but the poll in the Time article is from the primaries with Clinton.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:48 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post

Our country fought a war over it. It took Supreme Court decisions to end segregation. Remember Central High in Little Rock? Remember Rosa Parks?

Lyndon Johnson, a Texan democrat, had the guts to champion the Great Society, and ushered in the Civil Rights Act. The South switched from democrat to republican.

To deny that race is an issue in our society is indeed not seeing the elephant in the living room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections