Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:53 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times

Advertisements

I had a colleague at work that I used to have conversations with on a regular basis. (He was fired for sending threatening emails, so I no longer see him.) But he was always looking for some way to bash Democrats and liberals. Anything would do - those stupid emails circulating all the time were as good as anything. He once sent along one that compared how citizens responded to Hurricane Katrina versus a snowstorm in ND. His point was to prove that the people of NOLA were dependent on help from the government, while the good people from small-town middle America were independent and strong.

I pointed him to the Snopes article that debunked the entire email, and his response was basically, "So? The email is still true in a fundamental way!" I often pointed that episode out to him. It seems that he thought of politics as a game, and that the goal was to win. Any tactic was OK, if it brought you closer to that goal.

In fact, if you research Leo Strauss, one of the fathers of modern conservatism, and his concept of the "noble lie," you'll see the underpinnings of this philosophy: that there is a set of people who are qualified to lead us, and that getting them into power is more important than being truthful.

I see a lot of that attitude here. People seeking justification for their own cherished beliefs. Throwing things against the wall to see if they will stick. Ignoring contradictory information and even common sense.

In fact, McCain's entire campaign is based on that approach. He's desperately avoiding the discussion of real issues, preferring instead to run a disgusting smear campaign. The Swiftboat effort in 2004 was the same. (OT: I wonder if many of the Swiftboaters hate the GOP for ruining the value of that name?)

Is there a fundamental difference here? Why is the conservative mentality seemingly drawn to this form of argument? Does anybody see liberals doing it? I'll grant that the recent list of library books that Palin sought to ban falls in this category - but I don't see too many others.

If you think the Dems are just as bad, please provide counterexamples - with unbiased evidence (i.e., not articles from the Heritage Foundation, or NRO's Corner, or Fox News).

Old 09-15-2008, 09:56 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
If you think the Dems are just as bad, please provide counterexamples - with unbiased evidence (i.e., not articles from the Heritage Foundation, or NRO's Corner, or Fox News).
Right. You Dems can smear all kinds of crap here from The National Enquirer, the Daily Kos and the Democratic Underground and you want to complain solely about us?

You have an incredible amount of nerve.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Right. You Dems can smear all kinds of crap here from The National Enquirer, the Daily Kos and the Democratic Underground and you want to complain solely about us?

I provided you with Snopes and Wikipedia. I have never cited the others. You can do the same. Otherwise I'd just as soon you stayed away from this post.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:00 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post

No, teatime, you have an incredible amount of Nerve. Idahogie has made his case in a reasonable and logical manner, without profanity or insult. Why can't you respond in kind? No substance? Did you miss the title of the thread? He's serious, the issues are serious, I have to agree, address it seriously or just read along.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:01 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,157,105 times
You're all the same.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
You're all the same.

Examples?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:03 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
No, teatime, you have an incredible amount of Nerve. Idahogie has made his case in a reasonable and logical manner, without profanity or insult. Why can't you respond in kind? No substance? Did you miss the title of the thread? He's serious, the issues are serious, I have to agree, address it seriously or just read along.

....."that's to be expected, because if you don't have any fresh ideas, then you use stale tactics to scare voters." - Senator Obama

You were right
Obama/Biden 08

Old 09-15-2008, 10:09 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,993 times
A well spoken post. I like it. +1

I've seen a fair amount from libs too but it occurs more often on other boards I frequent. Regardless, all too often people resort to saying but your candidate did x! instead of debating the issue whatsoever.

Quote:
Is there a fundamental difference here? Why is the conservative mentality seemingly drawn to this form of argument?
Honestly? Because it works. Bush taught everyone how well it does work. When all else fails turn the thing or person you are arguing against into the greatest evil on earth - swiftboat, activist judges, liberal (said with the same connotation as the N word), unpatriotic, traitor, and on ad infinitum. Truth need not apply.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
A well spoken post. I like it. +1

I've seen a fair amount from libs too but it occurs more often on other boards I frequent. Regardless, all too often people resort to saying but your candidate did x! instead of debating the issue whatsoever.

Honestly? Because it works. Bush taught everyone how well it does work. When all else fails turn the thing or person you are arguing against into the greatest evil on earth - swiftboat, activist judges, liberal (said with the same connotation as the N word), unpatriotic, traitor, and on ad infinitum. Truth need not apply.
Thanks, SGrey.

Do I gather that you think it's a tactic deployed equally? If "because it works" is to make sense, I'd think that both sides would use it optimally.

I'd love to hear more examples of the tactic from the left. More crazy emails, more ludicrous blog posts, more vacuous comment threads, etc.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:17 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie;528478 In fact, if you research [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Strauss"
Leo Strauss[/url], one of the fathers of modern conservatism, and his concept of the "noble lie," you'll see the underpinnings of this philosophy: that there is a set of people who are qualified to lead us, and that getting them into power is more important than being truthful.
Well, I have a simple question to ask...are you saying that the Democratics are the 'people who are qualified to lead us'? And since 'getting them into power is more important than being truthful'...I take it that this must explain all the lies you've all put out there about Sarah Palin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections