Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:28 PM

3,999 posts, read 10,802,568 times

Advertisements

McCain called this in 2001, and again in 2005. Dems shot him down both times. He saw this coming with FM squared, tried to do something about it, and now it is conveniently swept under the rug because Democrats fear giving even the slightest credit to an opponent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 09:34 PM

4,271 posts, read 15,214,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Amen to that. It's not like I think McCain is God's gift to the US or anything, but I've actually been looking for something of substance on this topic from Obama. I thought that of all days, today would be the one where he actually comes out with at least a semi-plan, but no. He points and says, "his fault." Honestly. I'm interested in knowing his ideas, but all I can ever read about is McCain saying something and then Obama pointing at him and saying that it was stupid. Perhaps he's not saying anything because he promised away billions in government programs to begin with, and he doesn't want us to remember? Is it that there is nothing that can save us now, so both candidates aren't addressing it?
Interesting ... I agree with you unequivocally, which is a first b'c the majority of the posts I read are far left or far right. I'm not impressed with McCain but at least bringing Palin in has made it interesting even if I don't totally agree with her beliefs. I find Obama interesting but every time I listen to to one of his speeches, he's just pointing the finger at all the wrong the Bush administration has done. I'm well aware of what's gone wrong, tell me how you're going to fix it dang it!

And you are right, he's promised a LOT in terms gov't programs but where's all the money going to come from? I don't necessarily agree with increased gov't programs but ok fine I can live with it but seriously, does he think raising taxes on the $200K/yr taxpayers is going to solve all our problems? If he does, he's just as ignorant as McCain on how the "economy works".

Old 09-16-2008, 09:45 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,532,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samq View Post
Which version of O's "thoughtful, meaningful plan"? Is it version 1 , 2, or 3? Is this O's plan of yesterday, today, or tomorrow. The guy changes his mind every day.
You hear what you want to hear. I listened to a candidate articulate step by step the warnings he gave, the dates he gave those warnings and to whom. Those of us who have been paying attention have seen a candidate go about a deliberate detailed process for which he believes his economic proposals will enhance the lives of the citizens. We may not all agree with the costs, but I rarely run into a single person who says they won't help upon critical analysis.

We're in debt. One candidate has refused to lie to us about the seriousness of that debt and has told the American people he will need their help and expect them to be responsible for the outcome. He has asked them to become involved in their Government. Even the hardcore Libertarians begrudge the Senator this fact because they know the Founders intended the Citizens to be involved in their Government. Lincoln told us the Government is of the people, for the people, by the people.

Senator Obama hasn't changed all that much, and he isn't some super liberal either, you're just not listening to him. Try it sometime, you'll be surprised how conservative some of the views he espouses really are.

Obama/Biden 08

Old 09-16-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Interesting ... I agree with you unequivocally, which is a first b'c the majority of the posts I read are far left or far right. I'm not impressed with McCain but at least bringing Palin in has made it interesting even if I don't totally agree with her beliefs. I find Obama interesting but every time I listen to to one of his speeches, he's just pointing the finger at all the wrong the Bush administration has done. I'm well aware of what's gone wrong, tell me how you're going to fix it dang it!

And you are right, he's promised a LOT in terms gov't programs but where's all the money going to come from? I don't necessarily agree with increased gov't programs but ok fine I can live with it but seriously, does he think raising taxes on the $200K/yr taxpayers is going to solve all our problems? If he does, he's just as ignorant as McCain on how the "economy works".
Senator Obama has gone into quite a bit of detail on how he intends to pay for the programs and proposals he's laid out. You can visit his website, check Tax Policy Foundation and google Obama's Economic plan. It's all there, and has been for months. He's met with the premier business and economic leaders in the Nation over several months, much of it passing unnoticed to the multitudes who were caught up in the drivel coming out of Senator McCain's camp rather than looking in depth at what the candidates were proposing. It's crunch time now, we have big problems and one candidate literally feeding the masses lies while the other continues to get the message out that we are better than the politics that devides us, and that together there is no problem we cannot solve.

I'll take the guy telling me there's a problem, and he's willing to work to fix it. The time for denial with redundant failed proposals just isn't that appealing right now.

Obama/Biden 08

Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
McCain called this in 2001, and again in 2005. Dems shot him down both times. He saw this coming with FM squared, tried to do something about it, and now it is conveniently swept under the rug because Democrats fear giving even the slightest credit to an opponent.
Well give him credit. Tell us what he has done and what he said, show us what he has attempted to do, because we can certainly see the results of his leadership or lack thereof.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:04 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,718,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
You hear what you want to hear. I listened to a candidate articulate step by step the warnings he gave, the dates he gave those warnings and to whom. Those of us who have been paying attention have seen a candidate go about a deliberate detailed process for which he believes his economic proposals will enhance the lives of the citizens. We may not all agree with the costs, but I rarely run into a single person who says they won't help upon critical analysis.

We're in debt. One candidate has refused to lie to us about the seriousness of that debt and has told the American people he will need their help and expect them to be responsible for the outcome. He has asked them to become involved in their Government. Even the hardcore Libertarians begrudge the Senator this fact because they know the Founders intended the Citizens to be involved in their Government. Lincoln told us the Government is of the people, for the people, by the people.

Senator Obama hasn't changed all that much, and he isn't some super liberal either, you're just not listening to him. Try it sometime, you'll be surprised how conservative some of the views he espouses really are.

Obama/Biden 08
Conservative? Such as what?
Yes he is very liberal, one of the most liberal in congress. This is common knowledge.
his economic scheme is no better than McCains.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:06 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,077,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Well give him credit. Tell us what he has done and what he said, show us what he has attempted to do, because we can certainly see the results of his leadership or lack thereof.
Hey, didn't you hear? He invented the Blackberry. Doesn't know how to send email but still invented the Blackberry.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Hey, didn't you hear? He invented the Blackberry. Doesn't know how to send email but still invented the Blackberry.
That was pretty crazy, but hey so was the"Al Gore" correlation and the cats out of the bag now so I guess he'll have to live with it.

Hillarious - John McCain invented the Blackberry.

WOW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections