Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 08:46 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,817,789 times

Advertisements

By no means am I picking on your choice but I have to ask this question.

Is it hard for you to pull the lever for Barr or Nader or another candidate when you know that the possibility of a win is nil?

Have you ever considered voting for one of the major party candidates in order to feel like your vote will count and some of your concerns will be addressed?

Again- no disrespect intended. I voted independent/third party twice- once Liberterian, once for Perot. The first Bush won the first time and I believe Clinton won the second time. Afterward I questioned the value of my vote and wondered if I should have jumped on the major party bandwagon so that I felt my vote really counted. After all, the vote I cast Libertarian (and those of others) could have been cast for Dukakis and perhaps the first Bush would have never made it into office- and I believe America would be much better for that.

I do believe that the two party system is not best for America. I would love to see a third party emerge and be strong and relevant. I also understand that the third party votes will help to drive that emergence but it would be so hard for me- especially in this very important election to cast a vote that only has the possibility to let someone into office who doesn't belong there.

I guess this is a somewhat rhetorical question and I know I'm rambling. I just want to express why I ask and reiterate that I'm not trying to be offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 08:58 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,700,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Is it hard for you to pull the lever for Barr or Nader or another candidate when you know that the possibility of a win is nil?
If you are a Democrat in a solidly Republican state, or a Republican in a solidly Democract state, is it hard for you to pull the lever when the possibility of a win is nil?

Quote:
Have you ever considered voting for one of the major party candidates in order to feel like your vote will count and some of your concerns will be addressed?
My vote counts each and every time that I vote for the candidate who I feel is best for the position. I have voted for Democrats, Republicans, Reformers, Libertarians, Independents, and have never looked at the popularity of the individual before voting to make my decision.

Quote:
Again- no disrespect intended. I voted independent/third party twice- once Liberterian, once for Perot. The first Bush won the first time and I believe Clinton won the second time. Afterward I questioned the value of my vote and wondered if I should have jumped on the major party bandwagon so that I felt my vote really counted. After all, the vote I cast Libertarian (and those of others) could have been cast for Dukakis and perhaps the first Bush would have never made it into office- and I believe America would be much better for that.
Voting for the lesser of two evils will only result in the evil of two lessers. There's no doubt that Gore would have led to different results than Bush, but I don't say that in a positive way. Look at the results of the Congress when it's controlled by either party and really point out the differences. The two parties are equally as corrupt.

Quote:
I do believe that the two party system is not best for America. I would love to see a third party emerge and be strong and relevant. I also understand that the third party votes will help to drive that emergence but it would be so hard for me- especially in this very important election to cast a vote that only has the possibility to let someone into office who doesn't belong there.
You won't see that until we change our voting system. Ours favors the two parties in power and much of this plays to your post... the wasted vote syndrome.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,298,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post

My vote counts each and every time that I vote for the candidate who I feel is best for the position. I have voted for Democrats, Republicans, Reformers, Libertarians, Independents, and have never looked at the popularity of the individual before voting to make my decision.

Voting for the lesser of two evils will only result in the evil of two lessers.
You won't see that until we change our voting system. Ours favors the two parties in power and much of this plays to your post... the wasted vote syndrome.

All great points! Nothing will change until we rid this country of the "wasted vote" syndrome. Republicans and Democrats both count on exactly that for your votes every election cycle and it is why things truly never change. They don't really have to be accountable to "we the people" because they know people will pull vote for the repub, the dem or whoever is the lesser evil of the two. Both parties rely on the fact that the "wasted vote" syndrome is alive and well.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:12 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,608,811 times
I cannot vote lesser of two evils again. Yes, in the short term my vote will not count. However, at least I won't feel partially responsible for whatever inane candidate ends up winning plus if enough of us vote for the best man/woman regardless of popularity just maybe we will have a viable third party for the next election cycle. Or the next one, or the one after that.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:39 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,817,789 times
Thanks for the replies. I've paid little attention to the third parties this time because I know that's how I would vote and I struggle with not making a difference- living in Florida and watching what happened with Gore has me much more aware of making my vote count.

It's a horrible vacuum I feel caught in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections