Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Where do I sign up to support this?
www.BobBarr2008.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 12:40 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
There are 50 different state laws and statutes. Still, with the millions of dollars these two raised, you think they could hire 10 people to contact 5 states? Or even 50 people to contact each state.
You'd think after the 100+ years, the parties would know what dates they need to register for.. Its not like they are new to Texas..

Old 09-17-2008, 12:46 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,569 times
Quote:
Yep. Incompetence by the two parties assuming that they will always be on the ballot. Can McCain even get the number of electors without Texas?
I just pulled up a create your own map to see. Yes, McCain can still win but I think the possibility of it happening this way is slim.

Giving Obama only the usual states McCain would win by 8 electorial votes - Wash, Oregon, Cali, Minn, Wisc, Ill, Mich, PA, NY, Ver, Maine, Mass, RI, Conn, NJ, Del, MD, DC

If just one tossup state goes blue, its over for McCain. - NM, Col, NV, Oh, FL, Iowa (which I count as a tossup since they've gone Dem, Dem, Rep in the last 3 elections)

If any of the usual voting red states went blue, it would be over for McCain.

And then god forbid, if Obama won NH but all the rest of the red states voted red then we'd end up in a tie.

You can play with the map here: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo..._mccain/?map=1

Quote:
You'd think after the 100+ years, the parties would know what dates they need to register for.. Its not like they are new to Texas..
Isn't that the truth.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:46 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,153,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
70 days before the election. It really isn't that hard. Of course, after Barr pointed out to the SoS that the two candidates had not registered (their conventions had not been held yet), the SoS claimed that they had amended their original filings with the names of both P/VP candidate. That's not legal either as the law is written.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
And then god forbid, if Obama won NH but all the rest of the red states voted red then we'd end up in a tie.
LOL. Cheney would be the one that casts the final vote as he is the President of the Senate. I think. I could be wrong.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
LOL. Cheney would be the one that casts the final vote as he is the President of the Senate. I think. I could be wrong.
No, it would be totally up to the House of Reps.

First there is a period where candidates may try to sway one of the pledged electors to change his or her vote. Electors are usually pretty hard core to their party though so I can't see that happening.

It then heads to the House of Reps where Dems currently have control. Each states House delegation gets one vote. So Texas's 34 members would only get one vote for the whole of them and so on and so forth until all votes are cast. Whoever has the most votes, wins. DC's vote would have the same weight as California's in this case.

If no candidate gets the majority they keep voting until one does. Crazy!

The senate will then do the same thing when voting for the VP.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:59 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Even if they aren't on the ballot, it's called WRITE IN. He will still be a far minority representation here in Texas.
No... Texas law states that write in candidates must have applied as well.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
No, it would be totally up to the House of Reps.

First there is a period where candidates may try to sway one of the pledged electors to change his or her vote. Electors are usually pretty hard core to their party though so I can't see that happening.

It then heads to the House of Reps where Dems currently have control. Each states House delegation gets one vote. So Texas's 34 members would only get one vote for the whole of them and so on and so forth until all votes are cast. Whoever has the most votes, wins. DC's vote would have the same weight as California's in this case.

If no candidate gets the majority they keep voting until one does. Crazy!

The senate will then do the same thing when voting for the VP.
Ok, I knew the Senate would have something to do with it. I was thinking it was the Presidency, not the VP, but that makes sense.

Could you imagine, Obama/Palin? Heads would explode.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Ok, I knew the Senate would have something to do with it. I was thinking it was the Presidency, not the VP, but that makes sense.

Could you imagine, Obama/Palin? Heads would explode.
My god would they ever but I do wonder if the senate would dare go that way. What I mean is, even if you're a Rep, do you dare vote for Palin if your state voted for Obama/Biden? That seems like certain career death to me. Said state is not then likely to elect you again.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:09 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
Pretty flimsy argument. The argument is that since the conventions were after the deadline, by default they couldn't have already filed.

Hmmm, since I didn't go to the post office until after my electric bill was due, I must have missed the deadline and now my power should be shut off.

That is the level of logic being used.

Barr is a fake and a phoney anyway. I was wanting to vote libertarian, but no way I'm voting for Bob Barr. The guy is a joke and IMO the libertarian party is going NOWHERE if this is the best they can come up with for a candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections