U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:59 PM

481 posts, read 700,265 times

Advertisements

http://www.edge.org/documents/archiv...256.html#haidt

WHAT MAKES PEOPLE VOTE REPUBLICAN?
By Jonathan Haidt

"What makes people vote Republican? Why in particular do working class and rural Americans usually vote for pro-business Republicans when their economic interests would seem better served by Democratic policies? We psychologists have been examining the origins of ideology ever since Hitler sent us Germany's best psychologists, and we long ago reported that strict parenting and a variety of personal insecurities work together to turn people against liberalism, diversity, and progress. But now that we can map the brains, genes, and unconscious attitudes of conservatives, we have refined our diagnosis: conservatism is a partially heritable personality trait that predisposes some people to be cognitively inflexible, fond of hierarchy, and inordinately afraid of uncertainty, change, and death. People vote Republican because Republicans offer "moral clarity"—a simple vision of good and evil that activates deep seated fears in much of the electorate. Democrats, in contrast, appeal to reason with their long-winded explorations of policy options for a complex world."

(see full essay at link above)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 05:05 PM

564 posts, read 731,327 times
B/c republicans believe that the power of America.. what makes America great is it's people. Competition and people working hard bring about prosperity and stronger and smarter people.

Democrats believe the power of America lies in the Govt. They think the Govt should redistribute the wealth and hold our hands through life.

Because most people in America have overcome a problem with sacrifice and hard work.. they believe like most republicans believe.. that we the people can change the world and the Govt more often than not just gets in the way.

The people who fail in life, the minority of us, cling to victimhood and refuse to blame themselves for their problems. The easiest place to point is to the Govt.

Lucky for America, more of us have had success than have not.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:06 PM

13,180 posts, read 13,090,722 times
They've been doing it since Nixon. Republicans try to divide Americans along cultural lines. Hoping they will not vote the issues, nor in their own self interest.

And they've done a great job doing it, I might add.

In a sane World, they'd be laughed right out of the room.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:09 PM

self interest?

Redistribution of wealth is in no one's self interest. The poor people lose jobs because the rich people stop hiring people. The rich people stop working hard because half their income goes to Uncle Sam. The Dems plan is promise people the moon.. get elected.. keep the poor people poor through their bloated programs that keep people dependant on the govt.. then all the poor people vote them in again with the same old promises. A viscious cycle really.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:11 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,718,411 times
Their parents are Republicans. Their best friends are Republicans. Their children are Republicans.

Our environment creates us. It also affects our political ideas.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:13 PM

13,180 posts, read 13,090,722 times
Yes exactly self interest.

Take a gander at all these countries with greatly higher taxes, and universal healthcare.

They have a higher standard of living than the US, most in spite of having few natural resources. Which props our numbers up.

List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-17-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Their parents are Republicans. Their best friends are Republicans. Their children are Republicans.

The honest reason..

As we age we learn things...

God is real, this life wasn't for nothing
Hard work got me where I'm at, not the Govt
I'm so glad I was born in America
The things in life I remember the most is when I did things on my own, failed, picked myself up and achieved.

That is why people are republicans, especially older people.

The idealistic pot smoking youth who think hard work is for the birds and that the world should be one big island where everyone makes the same amount of money and we can all live happily every after.. that's the liberal idea.. although with age even they get wisdom.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:16 PM

8,513 posts, read 12,473,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post

My parents were Dems. I have friends that are Dems and Repubs. My childrens views are a mix of mine.

I'm a conservative.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:17 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,211,599 times
Biggest load of BS I've ever read.

Why do people vote Republican? Because they can. Why are liberals so pretentious and ignorant?

Old 09-17-2008, 05:17 PM

1,353 posts, read 3,206,338 times
RELIGION RELIGION RELIGION

Of the few Republicans I've known in both college and amongst work colleagues over the years, I've noticed one common thing amongst the Republicans I've known: they were avid church-goers and VERY religious Christians.

It might not have been the case 40-50 years ago, when the GOP wasn't dominated by born-again evangelicals, but it is most definitely the case today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or