U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:05 PM

714 posts, read 1,912,335 times

Advertisements

Negative ads. What do you think about them? Do they turn you against a candidate?

It's my opinion that negative ads are effective even though most people claim not to like them.

With the stir-up over negative ads over the past couple days with the L word being thrown around .... Lies Lies Lies, it's interesting to note that 77% of Obama ads last week were negative while 56% of McCain's ads were.

Obama outpaces McCain in negative ads: The Swamp

There's also been some specials on CNN that have caught both candidates greatly stretching the truth in their latest cycles of negative commercials.

Is all really fair in politics regardless if it's only a piece of a sentence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 10:08 PM

16,701 posts, read 18,917,881 times
Obama has more negative ads because he has more campaign money and can air it more often than McCain... I noticed that McCain attacks Obama but Obama likes to attack both McCain and Palin... McCain is more likely to attack Obama on the issues while Obama likes to do character assassinations... I think that is poor form for Obama... he has changed and not for the better either... I wonder if any Obama fans have notice how he has changed since the beginning..

Old 09-17-2008, 10:08 PM

1,792 posts, read 1,126,896 times
If ya can't beat 'em join 'em....only do better.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Obama has more negative ads because he has more campaign money and can air it more often than McCain... I noticed that McCain attacks Obama but Obama likes to attack both McCain and Palin... McCain is more likely to attack Obama on the issues while Obama likes to do character assassinations... I think that is poor form for Obama... he has changed and not for the better either... I wonder if any Obama fans have notice how he has changed since the beginning..
That is something I've often wandered.

The Obama campaign likes to talk about all these new voters they've registered. But if you're exciting and registering new voters, why turn to the negative, decisive tactics that have probably driven these people away from politics for years? If it turns into a mudslinging contest, I think there's going to be a lot of people that become turned off, and that'll hurt Obama more on election day.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:13 PM

5,029 posts, read 5,406,004 times
This is just for the last week. McCain is still the campaign leader in negative ads. Plus, the absolute worst of the McCain ads never really air. They are produced, leaked to the media, and then never aired as ads, so McCain doesn't have to pay for them.

I don't have a problem with negative ads, personally. It's the LYING ads of McCain that are the worst.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:16 PM

30,037 posts, read 30,676,322 times
I see nothing wrong with negative ads, as long as they are truthful and on topic...IE..the election issues. Sadly many are nothing but lies, more lies topped off with a bunch of BS.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
This is just for the last week. McCain is still the campaign leader in negative ads. Plus, the absolute worst of the McCain ads never really air. They are produced, leaked to the media, and then never aired as ads, so McCain doesn't have to pay for them.

I don't have a problem with negative ads, personally. It's the LYING ads of McCain that are the worst.
It may have been a report over the last week, but if you checked the article, the Obama campaign is out-spending the McCain campaign to get these ads out at this part of the campaign, thanks to his $860,000 to McCain's $312,000 in Virginia and Obama's $263,000 in Indiana to McCain's $0 as 2 examples. Others include 954,000 to $761,000 in Michigan, 1.327 million in Florida to McCain's 1 million, and in Pennsylvana as the lone state where McCain is actually spending more, 1.6 million to 950,000.

The lying actually seems to be pretty even on both sides. Last night, a few of the Obama 'stretchings of the truth' included McCain's 100 years in Iraq comment when he said a long-term non-combat force could be necessary for as long as it takes, middle class being at 5 million/yr when McCain was joking at the Saddleback forum, claiming McCain voted to decrease education funding when he was actually voting against increases in spending, and repeating the claim that McCain thinks the economy is fundamentally sound while not mentioning the follow-up paragraph where McCain usually talks about how wrong things are with the economy. And there were a few others that the Obama campaign wouldn't comment on.

Don't get me wrong. I also saw the special on McCain and he has his share of truth stretches also, but neither candidate is clean. I just think Obama has done a much better job of playing the victim.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 PM

8,062 posts, read 15,868,944 times
The Dems started the lies with "McCain's 100 years war" and never looked back. Guess we're in "100 years wars" in Korea, Germany, England, wherever we've fought and then built an air base.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,366,945 times
McCain ads are truthful while Obamas well are never in line to being truthful.

Obama attacks while McCain tells us what he is going to do.

I have yet to see a single Obama ad saying exactly what he intends to do.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:35 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,129,613 times
I think the problem comes when you only point a finger at the other fellow. I watched to see what both candidates said about the economy yesterday. I guess I was just looking for a little reassurance. The only reassurance I got was from McCain because the only thing I heard from Obama is that it is the fault of Bush. Nothing about the solution, just who was at fault. I know who is at fault. Congress and the president, not just the president and not just this president. The only person who said anything to make me think that person was on top of it and knew the solution was Sarah Palin. I was a little shocked. I did not expect that from her. She and I think alike. Leave it alone and it will work itself out but keep your eye out for fraud and don't let it happen. People need to start having their own safeguards and stop expecting the government to do anything except keep you safe to do for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or