Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 06:56 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,665 times

Advertisements

The rich usually live on more than wages, unlike the rest of us. They have plenty of loopholes to manuever when it comes to tax time, unlike the rest of us (who are the ones who really NEED the loopholes).

I really get beat up because I am single with no kids - we pay for everyone else's kids - rich or poor.

Since the median household income in the United States is $45K, I guess $250K would be considered rich for most of us. Sure is to me! Wow - what I could do with $250K.....dreamin'......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 07:12 AM

524 posts, read 942,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The founding fathers arent going to pay to fix the roads and get a grip on our $10 trillion national debt. Be practical. Don't be a lapdog. Everyone needs to help when called upon, even the wealthy.
delusianne: The founding fathers arent going to pay to fix the roads and get a grip on our $10 trillion national debt. Be practical. Don't be a lapdog. Everyone needs to help when called upon, even the wealthy.

I said ‘Founding Principles’ not founding fathers. Americans went to war over a 1% tax increase! Now we are all paying more than our fair share! Leave the problems to the free market! If people were allowed to keep more of their own money to spend as they see fit, there would be very little of the problems that we are facing right now! It is OUR money! We worked the hours to get it! G.W. Bush spent like a drunken sailor... I do not agree with that either! Because even though he gave all tax paying American's a tax cut, he spent more than anyone in our history!

I used to raise funds for charities and when taxes were low people gave in abundance and when taxes were high they gave all that they could! The American people will get us out of this crap! NOT GOVERNMENT!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:13 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,866 times
Quote:
The founding fathers arent going to pay to fix the roads and get a grip on our $10 trillion national debt. Be practical. Don't be a lapdog. Everyone needs to help when called upon, even the wealthy.
It is funny with some of the posters around here, they all want to live like Grizzly Adams, they think in their minds.

They don't get in a civilized society you need to work together to get things done.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:13 AM

673 posts, read 2,716,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Since the median household income in the United States is $45K, I guess $250K would be considered rich for most of us.
Earning $250k one year does not make you rich. Nor does earning $0 one year make you not rich. What makes you rich is when your assets far exceed your liabilities.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:15 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
But that's not what Palin said in the debate last night, she conveniently left out the "wealthy". Little miss joe six pack.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:32 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,925 times
I call developing energy independence and fixing infrastructure something a bloated federal buracracy and crooked pork slimed politicians should stay away from

Quote:
Do you call developing energy independence and fixing the infrastructure "handouts for the poor and indigent"?

Of course in this economy it's not possible to do all the rosy sunny things Obama had wanted to do, though he insists that federal expenditures be paid on a PAYGO schedule.

"Tax and spend" is a catchphrase that you seem to have swallowed whole. Would you prefer to pay the taxes for those nice folks earning over $250,000 every year? They'd really appreciate that. Of course they're hard working professionals, and they should be pleased and grateful to live in a country where they can do so well.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:22 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
I call developing energy independence and fixing infrastructure something a bloated federal buracracy and crooked pork slimed politicians should stay away from
That's true, and that's why I'm pleased to see that you reject John McCain as a viable candidate for President.

But states and counties and municipalities always request, and dont proceed until they receive, federal assistance for projects such as roads and bridges. Developing energy independence cant be accomplished without fed help.

These are just facts of life.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:29 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zednemtheadventurer View Post
I said ‘Founding Principles’ not founding fathers. Americans went to war over a 1% tax increase! Now we are all paying more than our fair share! Leave the problems to the free market! If people were allowed to keep more of their own money to spend as they see fit, there would be very little of the problems that we are facing right now! It is OUR money! We worked the hours to get it! G.W. Bush spent like a drunken sailor... I do not agree with that either! Because even though he gave all tax paying American's a tax cut, he spent more than anyone in our history!

I used to raise funds for charities and when taxes were low people gave in abundance and when taxes were high they gave all that they could! The American people will get us out of this crap! NOT GOVERNMENT!
Sorry to have misread your post, thanks for the correction.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:07 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
Earning $250k one year does not make you rich. Nor does earning $0 one year make you not rich. What makes you rich is when your assets far exceed your liabilities.
What I'm saying is that most of Americans don't have "assets" beyond wages. So, we have to look at wages only when we speak of the "average" person.

So, if someone makes $45K and they happen to have a house that's worth $500K, with no mortgage, yeah - they're rich. But, it's not a common situation.

When you look at "rich" people, you are looking at much more than wages. When you are looking at an average person, you're most likely looking at wages only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections