Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:52 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times

Advertisements

This country is in such sorry, scary shape. It might be best to just leave the Republicans alone to face the mess they've made. They made the mess, let them try to clean it up.

Although they're not exactly known for stepping in and cleaning up messes. They spend most of their energy in a cycle of bullying, distracting and blaming, and right now the McCain camp is blaming the previous admin, which is its own people, its own party, with whose "leader" the current candidate voted 90+% of the time. So - four more years.

So in four years - after, say, two years of a feeble, indecisive, pathetic, miserable McCain puppet show and a two-year tragicomedy that would be President Lipstick's reign - by then Obama will be looking real good, even to the idjit right wing "base" who hate him now. Obama or whoever.

So let them keep the White House, screw up the Supreme Court further, disappoint and embarrass their base even more, alienate and isolate us even further in a shrinking world on which we depend financially and in every other way, kill a few (or many) thousand more soldiers by moving in on other countries to take their oil (and in squabbles with the new neighbors of our bases in the Mideast and Asia), probably get thousands more of us killed as a result of foreign policies that describe a paranoid-schizophrenic's approach to life, increase the rich-poor divide and the education gap between us and other countries, and generally continue down the path set by seventeenth-century Spain.

Break a leg I say. McCain 08.

Good idea? Or irresponsible?

Last edited by delusianne; 09-18-2008 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: took out a joke, this is serious now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
lol...the "freighttrain Express" is running full steam at a Brick wall. It would be utterly irresponsible to let a member of the infamous K5 anywhere near the helm of this ship. Remember we're still looking at the tip of this iceberg, we need someone who can steer the Titantic clear this time, we've seen enough of Senator McCain's "history and lessons".

Old 09-18-2008, 11:00 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,916,506 times
unfortunately for you CLINTON is the one who de-regulated the lending laws to push the financial district to fund loans to low income and bad credit buyers. hence the mortgage mess we are in. who knew people with bad credit would'nt pay their mortgages and with low income would buy homes they couldn't afford...

Old 09-18-2008, 11:01 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This country is in such sorry, scary shape. It might be best to just leave the Republicans alone to face the mess they've made. They made the mess, let them try to clean it up.

Although they're not exactly known for stepping in and cleaning up messes. They spend a lot of energy on distracting and blaming, and right now the McCain camp is blaming the previous admin, which is its own people, its own party, with whose "leader" the current candidate voted 90+% of the time. So - four more years.

So in four years - after, say, two years of a feeble, indecisive, pathetic, miserable McCain puppet show and a two-year tragicomedy that would be President Lipstick - by then Obama will be looking real good, even to the idjit right wing "base" who hate him now. Obama or whoever.

So let them keep the White House, screw up the Supreme Court further, disappoint and embarrass their base even more, alienate and isolate us even further in a shrinking world on which we depend financially and in every other way, kill a few (or many) thousand more soldiers by moving in on other countries to take their oil (and in squabbles with the new neighbors of our bases in the Mideast and Asia), probably get thousands more of us killed as a result of foreign policies that describe a paranoid-schizophrenic's approach to life, increase the rich-poor divide and the education gap between us and other countries, and generally continue down the path set by seventeenth-century Spain.

Break a leg I say. McCain 08.

Good idea? Or irresponsible?
Yeah, maybe! I've thought that, too. Then it would also probably be the last act for the republican party.. But I hate to think of what our country would look like in four years if McCain/Palin somehow pulled off this sad political farse - "Country First" - sounds *so* good but I think not. Compelling slogans do not a leader make.

Last edited by SarahSal; 09-18-2008 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: add

Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,916,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Yeah, maybe! I've thought that, too. However, then it could be the last act for the republican party.. But I hate to think of what our country would look like in four years if McCain/Palin somehow pulled off this sad political farse - "Country First" - sounds *so* good but I think not. Compelling slogans do not a leader make.
try to explain that to your own party regarding your VP running mate.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Yeah, maybe! I've thought that, too. However, then it could be the last act for the republican party.. But I hate to think of what our country would look like in four years if McCain/Palin somehow pulled off this sad political farse - "Country First" - sounds *so* good but I think not. Compelling slogans do not a leader make.
I like that you've thought that before, it only just now occurred to me. I dont know, seriously, it might be a good idea. This election isn't the "last gasp" one for the Repugs (= fascist version of the Republican party that we know today), but the next one very well could be if we give them one more length of rope.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:07 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,116 times
Default It's getting ugly

Isn’t this the same logic that encouraged the red states to vote for Bush in '04, to clean up the mess of his first term?

Voting for more failed policies is analogous to Michael Jackson having more plastic surgery and undoubtedly would have the same disastrous results.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:08 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
unfortunately for you CLINTON is the one who de-regulated the lending laws to push the financial district to fund loans to low income and bad credit buyers. hence the mortgage mess we are in. who knew people with bad credit would'nt pay their mortgages and with low income would buy homes they couldn't afford...
Keep trying...

In Senate, Gramm Led Effort for Banking Deregulation, Which Set Stage for Current Mortgage Crisis (http://www.mccainpedia.org/index.php/Mortgage_Crisis - broken link). Gramm led "aggressive efforts when he was chairman of the Senate Banking Committee to deregulate the banking and financial services industry. That culminated in passage in 1999 of a sweeping financial services law that tore down the Depression-era Glass-Steagall wall separating regulated commercial banks from largely unregulated investment banks. And little regulation was put in to replace it." :To many liberal economists, Gramm's efforts set the stage for the current crisis," with investment banks lending soaring, starting the trading in subprime mortgages and becoming too large to be allowed to fail.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Isn’t this the same logic that encouraged the red states to vote for Bush in '04, to clean up the mess of his first term?

Voting for more failed policies is analogous to Michael Jackson having more plastic surgery and undoubtedly would have the same disastrous results.
I know, that's the point Let them hang themselves for good this time. "And I'll stand by your grave and be sure that you're dead," know what I mean, Jellybean?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:10 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
this is not about low income problems, this is about a bunch of speculators that created a false market and when the bubble burst, they took the rest of us with us. In Las Vegas, it is not poor people who are foreclosing, it is the McMansions that are foreclosing because they told people that they could refinance into their equity and put in stainless steel appliances and granite in every kitchen. (you know of course, stainless steel and granite are needed for food preparation!) and now their houses are less than their refinances, so they are bailing. On top of that, the speculators went into new neighborhoods and bought up all the lots and then forced the prices up, so people had very little choice, there were lotteries for houses. So let's not pretend little grannie on the end rowhome is the villian here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections