Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:20 AM

973 posts, read 2,229,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
what you failed to mention sanrene as uisual was who was behind the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act? Why none other than Phil Gramm! Remember McCain's former Economic advisor whos aid Am,ericans are in a "mental recession" & Americans were a bunch of "whiners"????

Oh and spare me with the Dems blocked anything McCain was trying to do in 2005 when the Republicans had a majority back then.
The repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act for the Gramm Act won by something like a 90-8 vote! Trying to say that was the Republicans doing is only half the story. The Dems were in it to boost Clinton's economic numbers and profit with their own investments. The Reps were in it for to profit for their own investments. Trying to say that action was a one-sided deal is a blatant untruth.

About McCain's bill proposal in 2005 - all it takes is a couple Repubs to join the entire 45-49% of Congress Dems to block it from going to a vote. A couple Reps and virtually all the Dems blocked it. The Dems didn't want anything to do with regulation of their babies they created (and were profiting from) - Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Edit:
McCain's bill was stalled in 2005, but he gave his speech to Congress on it in May of 2006, AFTER the Dems had control of Congress. They shot it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:22 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
And what does Senator Obama do? Tell all of his people to shut up Because they have absolutely no clue, and part of his party is what caused this mess

I'm sorry, not his party, but his advisers.

Where was your Commander in Chief on the day of the financial crisis? Senator Obama was addressing the Nation with a Plan. Senator McCain was retracting his day before statements.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:22 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Oh God, what month is your calendar set to?

Oh I see. You saw the most recent McCain slew of lies/ad, and you believed it.

1. Biden: Did you ever watch the ORIGINAL video of him saying that? He was replying to someone about the people who earn $250 K each year, not (I would guess) YOU.

2. Johnson: he never was an adviser, he was dumped IN JUNE because of his bad history.

Sucker.

You know, we have the Internet now. There's no excuse anymore for anyone to believe what's beamed to them from television and radio. This is not the 1930s.
Yes, I saw the entire video, and I didn't like what I heard

Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
My comment makes perfect sense. Yes, he did state that, but he also stated that it was at risk and threatened, which of course all news agencies omitted
Could you give links to his initial comment and then his follow up (where he "also stated"), please?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Could you give links to his initial comment and then his follow up (where he "also stated"), please?

YouTube - McCain: Fundamentals of Economy Strong

1 posts, read 1,159 times
It's the truth, no one wants to admit.. no one wants to talk about it.. and once people find out how much the Dems and Obama in particular are behind it.. especially with ties to ACORN.. the national polls are going to shift to McCain in a hurry.

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
That is a worst case senario. And actually, it works out to be about 3,000 dollars per person. Regardless, it's still worst case that they would take the money for it in taxes.
Where the hell else do you think they're going to get it? Are they going to borrow it? You were pretty snide with the economics major who was trying to explain it (I know--he has a degree, so he's an elitist), but you do realize, don't you, that the government pays for things by either (1) taxing or (2) borrowing, and if you borrow, you either repay it, or go broke. I guess the Chinese could do for us what we're doing for AIG and company and just take us over.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Where the hell else do you think they're going to get it? Are they going to borrow it? You were pretty snide with the economics major who was trying to explain it (I know--he has a degree, so he's an elitist), but you do realize, don't you, that the government pays for things by either (1) taxing or (2) borrowing, and if you borrow, you either repay it, or go broke. I guess the Chinese could do for us what we're doing for AIG and company and just take us over.
Yes, I was a little snide, but was expecting something more from the introduction they gave

Let's see, it will probably come down to taxing, eventually, but not that hefty of a tax. Then we can borrow, we can also buy or hold the bad debt then resale it later, and the globally economy and markets are also helping by trying to dump money into our market.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:06 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
dugdogmaster go ahead and vote for another four years of Bush. You probably never had any intention of voting for Obama in the first place since the differences between the two canidates are so profound.
As for the Biden remark the minute somebody mentions taxes most go ape **** yet don't mind spending billions on Iraq. The logic of some of you is beyond absurdity.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
dugdogmaster go ahead and vote for another four years of Bush. You probably never had any intention of voting for Obama in the first place since the differences between the two canidates are so profound.
As for the Biden remark the minute somebody mentions taxes most go ape **** yet don't mind spending billions on Iraq. The logic of some of you is beyond absurdity.

Last I head his name was McCain, not Bush. And if you follow Obama's plan for this country there will be no mom and pop stores left, everyone will be working for big box stores And it's the way in which Biden stated it that scares me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections