U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 09-20-2008, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Destined to be banned
375 posts, read 492,394 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
Yes I said it I believe that americans will once again become manipulated by our media outlets and give obama their votes in order to not be labeled racist. Even on aol this morning they have this article with the theory that whites will not vote for a black man because he is black. Forget about people voting for political views or experience they prefer to just blame it on evil racist. I have never in my life felt as bad for white people as I do now. It's like they are being villafied just to make sure obama win. Also many blacks like myself get criticized as well if we have more trust in someone with experience versus someone like barack who has never done anything for anyone. Why can't people just have faith in the american people that we are voting on policies or who we really believe will protect us. Why is the media trying to guilt everyone to go against their own intuition which is usually right just to put odummy in office? Black men like obama need to stop crying racism every time they don't get their way. Grow up brother man it is not all about you we have other concerns in america than racism.
Yeah you're black and I'm Sarah Palin's unborn half black grandkid. If you say it it must be true because it's on the internet

BTW If Mac loses it won't be because he's white (there are more than enough whites to put him over the top based on his race) but because his idealogies are mired in failed politics and he's too close to the stench of Bush/Cheney. Nice try though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 09-20-2008, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
959 posts, read 1,288,197 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoagirl View Post
Many young people I have spoken to will vote for Obama as a statement against American racism.
That statement is exactly the point the OP is trying to make. It should be about issues and record, not "making a point" based on race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-20-2008, 01:58 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
11,497 posts, read 9,582,103 times
Reputation: 13798
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
Yes I said it I believe that americans will once again become manipulated by our media outlets and give obama their votes in order to not be labeled racist. Even on aol this morning they have this article with the theory that whites will not vote for a black man because he is black. Forget about people voting for political views or experience they prefer to just blame it on evil racist. I have never in my life felt as bad for white people as I do now. It's like they are being villafied just to make sure obama win. Also many blacks like myself get criticized as well if we have more trust in someone with experience versus someone like barack who has never done anything for anyone. Why can't people just have faith in the american people that we are voting on policies or who we really believe will protect us. Why is the media trying to guilt everyone to go against their own intuition which is usually right just to put odummy in office? Black men like obama need to stop crying racism every time they don't get their way. Grow up brother man it is not all about you we have other concerns in america than racism.
What garbage. Obama's race would normally not be an issue. If he were white, it would be ASSUMED to be a non-issue. I don't recall whites making an issue of Nixon being white, or Ford, or Reagan, or Carter, or Bush, or Truman, and so forth. Whites just naturally assume that when the candidate is white, this is the norm. It has been this way for centuries. Now, here comes an incredible man who happens to be of mixed race, with his father being black. This of course means by the criteria that whites set, that he is black. So for centuries, beginning with the time when whites felt that race was an issue in every respect by treating those dark people from Africa as inferior, whites have made the distinction and made race a central issue to the detriment of blacks. Conservatives today can't get beyond race.

So you sit there and say that a white candidate will lose because he is white? Typical conservative. It was a mindset like yours that felt that dark people from Africa could be slaves to whites because they were less than human. It is the mindset like yours that can't relate to black people, or understand blacks. People like you sit and judge from afar, basing every single decision on PERCEPTION rather than reality. McCain won't lose because he's white. This is ludicrous. He will lose because he is a follower and he's trying to hide that. he will lose because he supported Bush 90% of the time, showing that he absolutely has no talent and has incredibly poor judgment. He will lose because he chose an unqualified fluff as VP not because she was best for the country. He will lose because Barack Obama is a far superior candidate in every respect. He will lose because Barack Obama far exceeds McCain as a man, as a husband, as a strategist. Obama has more substance, more depth, more dignity, and is far more intelligent. Obama is far more versatile. Obama is not a racist and doesn't represent a party that is the haven for racists. It is no wonder then that Obama is preferred, and that millions of good people can look at Obama as a man, not as a black man.

Your problem as a conservative is that you can't just look at a man who is black as simply a man. In this case, the best man is winning and will prevail. That is Barack Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-20-2008, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
959 posts, read 1,288,197 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You know, I can't see how accusing white voters of racism is going to guilt them into voting for Obama.
It's the Bradley Effect.
Tom Bradley, popular African American LA Mayor, ran against a white Republican for governor of California in 1982. Even though he was a few points ahead of the Republican at the last day of polls the day before the election, and exit polls also showed he was a few points ahead, he lost. It was approximated that 5% of Bradley's voters in the polls the day before and the exit polls voted for the Republican.

In the 1983 Chicago mayor race, African American Harold Washington had a 14 point lead before the race, and final votes only gave him the win by less than 4%.

The 1989 New York mayor race had African American David Dinkins against Rudy Giuliani. Dinkins had a 14 point lead in the polls but only won by 2%.

A similar effect happened to African American Democrat L. Douglas Wilder in the 1989 Virginia governor race. He won, but by less than 0.5%, even though he was shown to have a 9% lead in exit polls and the polls the day before the election.

There have been a multitude of elections that follow this trend throughout the 80's, 90's, and 2000's.

As for Obama, this effect was demonstrated in the Democrat nominee race. The Iowa caucuses has public voting, and the polls were in line with Obama winning over Hillary with a similar point difference. However, Hillary defeated Obama in New Hampshire's private voting by 3% even though Obama had a sizable lead in the polls.

The only way I'd consider Obama guaranteed to win the election is if he has a 12+% lead the day before the election and in exit polls. There will be a lot of African American voters for McCain who will tell people they voted for Obama so they aren't outcast from their families and communities. There will be a lot of white voters who will tell people they vote for Obama to not appear racist, but vote for McCain for their own reasons (racist or not). An 5-12% lead will likely lead to an Obama win, but not guaranteed based on history. If the polls are 49/51, 50/50, or 51/49 the day before the election and with exit polls, McCain will win the popular vote. Of course, it's the electoral votes that matter so the primary states that really matter right now are Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Colorado, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nevada, Iowa, and New Mexico. There's still plenty of time for Obama to build a lead in the polls, which he'll need come Nov. 4th to win.

Previous polling in recent elections has already shown that those who support Democrats don't come out in quite the same % as the Republican supporters. That's why the Gore & Kerry polls looked like they had the win in battleground states and they ended up losing these key states.

A note.. Colin Powell didn't run as the Republican candidate in 1996 against Clinton out of fear of the Bradley Effect. Even though he was popular and well-liked among white Republicans, the party knew they would be at a significant disadvantage against a white Democrat in Bill Clinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-20-2008, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
959 posts, read 1,288,197 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
This of course means by the criteria that whites set, that he is black.
It's not only whites making that statement. If Obama were a Republican, you'd see a lot of people on the Democrat side calling him white (or Oreo, as they did with Colin Powell) to distance him from the Democrat minority voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-20-2008, 02:37 PM
 
Location: southern california
46,899 posts, read 41,343,719 times
Reputation: 37531
i dont think so.
aahh reverse race card.
driver to cop----
you didnt stop me because i ran over that old lady, you stopped me because of my race didn't you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-20-2008, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Seattle
500 posts, read 525,470 times
Reputation: 175
oh poor babies, white men have had it so hard in this country especially in politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-20-2008, 02:44 PM
NWS
 
Location: Raymond, MS
721 posts, read 938,509 times
Reputation: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
.... Black men like obama need to stop crying racism every time they don't get their way. Grow up brother man it is not all about you we have other concerns in america than racism.
I think some black man broke your heart.
You need to let go of that hatred lady otherwise they will stop calling Michelle the angriest woman in the world.
Need a hug?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-20-2008, 02:53 PM
 
12,360 posts, read 7,261,154 times
Reputation: 4090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Yeah you're black and I'm Sarah Palin's unborn half black grandkid. If you say it it must be true because it's on the internet

BTW If Mac loses it won't be because he's white (there are more than enough whites to put him over the top based on his race) but because his idealogies are mired in failed politics and he's too close to the stench of Bush/Cheney. Nice try though.
that headline on msn today, "lingering racism may hurt obama" was not entirely appropriate to the article on why people were moving away from obama, especially when it finished with the following:

Race is not the biggest factor driving Democrats and independents away from Obama. Doubts about his competency loom even larger, the poll indicates. More than a quarter of all Democrats expressed doubt that Obama can bring about the change they want, and they are likely to vote against him because of that. Three in 10 of those Democrats who don't trust Obama's change-making credentials say they plan to vote for McCain. Still, the effects of whites' racial views are apparent in the polling.

i would say that headline was misleading but not entirely unexpected from a biased media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-20-2008, 03:00 PM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 7,533,570 times
Reputation: 1336
McCain will lose for being Republican, period!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top