U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-21-2008, 12:08 PM

35,000 posts, read 22,292,574 times
Default Aaron Sorkin to Obama: "Mock them mercilessly; they've earned it."

Maureen Dowd asked Aaron Sorkin, creator of The West Wing, what TWW's President would say to Obama. Sorkin replied with a little scene the core of which is, There are times when you are required to be impolite.

OBAMA What would you do?

BARTLET GET ANGRIER! Call them liars, because that’s what they are. Sarah Palin didn’t say “thanks but no thanks” to the Bridge to Nowhere. She just said “Thanks.” You were raised by a single mother on food stamps — where does a guy with eight houses who was legacied into Annapolis get off calling you an elitist? And by the way, if you do nothing else, take that word back. Elite is a good word, it means well above average. I’d ask them what their problem is with excellence. While you’re at it, I want the word “patriot” back. McCain can say that the transcendent issue of our time is the spread of Islamic fanaticism or he can choose a running mate who doesn’t know the Bush doctrine from the Monroe Doctrine, but he can’t do both at the same time and call it patriotic. They have to lie — the truth isn’t their friend right now. Get angry. Mock them mercilessly; they’ve earned it. McCain decried agents of intolerance, then chose a running mate who had to ask if she was allowed to ban books from a public library. It’s not bad enough she thinks the planet Earth was created in six days 6,000 years ago complete with a man, a woman and a talking snake, she wants schools to teach the rest of our kids to deny geology, anthropology, archaeology and common sense too? It’s not bad enough she’s forcing her own daughter into a loveless marriage to a teenage hood, she wants the rest of us to guide our daughters in that direction too? It’s not enough that a woman shouldn’t have the right to choose, it should be the law of the land that she has to carry and deliver her rapist’s baby too? I don’t know whether or not Governor Palin has the tenacity of a pit bull, but I know for sure she’s got the qualifications of one. And you’re worried about seeming angry? You could eat their lunch, make them cry and tell their mamas about it and God himself would call it restrained. There are times when you are simply required to be impolite. There are times when condescension is called for!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/op...em&oref=slogin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 12:17 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,863,693 times
Damn! Good advice!

And its true. Obama is dancing around patience and restraint, but he really needs to take off the kiddie gloves and start exposing these jackasses for what they are.

It's almost as if Obama sees his intelligence and rationality as a liability, when he should be using it to contrast against the base crudeness of the McCain campaign.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:29 PM

35,000 posts, read 22,292,574 times
I agree - I thought he'd get tough and start speaking in sound bytes last week. He thinks we're more thoughtful that we are, maybe - like we're going to read, think and consider. Ha.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:30 PM
NWS

721 posts, read 995,957 times
It seems like Obama can't win by going negative. He doesn't want to appear angry. Nothing scarier than an angry black man. He also believes he can take the high road and win. I wrote his campaign, about 10 days ago, an email questioning why they don't get negative on Palin. I got this email back.

Dear Friend,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the Republican vice-presidential nominee, Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska. Senator Obama and Senator Biden have welcomed Governor Palin to the race and look forward to debating her and Senator McCain on the critical issues facing our country as the campaign proceeds through the fall.

Barack and Joe believe that we should not be distracted - this election is about big issues and who has the judgment and the independence to tackle America's challenges. That's why Senator Obama has rejected personal attacks on Governor Palin, saying forcefully, "I have said before and I will repeat again: I think people's families are off limits, and people's children are especially off limits. This shouldn't be part of our politics, it has no relevance to Governor Palin's performance as a governor or her potential performance as a vice president. And so I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories."

Their records are clear. Senator McCain has bragged about voting with President Bush over 90% of the time. Governor Palin hired lobbyists and supported earmarks before she opposed then. Behind their rhetoric, the McCain-Palin campaign is run and financed by lobbyists and special interests, and has no specific plans to change Washington and address the big issues America faces. Barack Obama and Joe Biden will continue to focus on fixing the problems that hard working Americans face every day.

Sincerely,

Obama for America

----------------
Paid for by Obama for America

Old 09-21-2008, 01:04 PM

11,908 posts, read 5,972,576 times
Quote:
BARTLET GET ANGRIER! Call them liars, because that’s what they are. Sarah Palin didn’t say “thanks but no thanks” to the Bridge to Nowhere. She just said “Thanks.” You were raised by a single mother on food stamps — where does a guy with eight houses who was legacied into Annapolis get off calling you an elitist?
This guy is awesome!!!

Old 09-21-2008, 03:10 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,863,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
It seems like Obama can't win by going negative.
And McCain's general strategy has been what?

Nothing scarier than an angry senile old fool, right?

Old 09-21-2008, 03:13 PM

5,032 posts, read 3,648,531 times
Obama should take Sorkin on as a consultant.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:14 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,743,633 times
'king A!

I know Barack is too classy to do it. That doesn't mean that

Richardson

Bill

Hillary

Elizabeth Edwards (I'd love to see her take Palin apart)

Chris Dodd

Jim Webb

Or any of a list of other Democrats couldn't do it.

Aaron Sorkin rocks.

golfgod

Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,164,162 times
The full text is even more hilarious--and so TRUE about the idiocy of the American people. I especially liked this part:

OBAMA I’m not. They pivoted off the argument that I was inexperienced to the criticism that I’m — wait for it — the Messiah, who, by the way, was a community organizer. When I speak I try to lead with inspiration and aptitude. How is that a liability?

BARTLET Because the idea of American exceptionalism doesn’t extend to Americans being exceptional. If you excelled academically and are able to casually use 690 SAT words then you might as well have the press shoot video of you giving the finger to the Statue of Liberty while the Dixie Chicks sing the University of the Taliban fight song. The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it.

OBAMA You’re saying race doesn’t have anything to do with it?

BARTLET I wouldn’t go that far. Brains made me look arrogant but they make you look uppity. Plus, if you had a black daughter —

OBAMA I have two.

BARTLET — who was 17 and pregnant and unmarried and the father was a teenager hoping to launch a rap career with “Thug Life” inked across his chest, you’d come in fifth behind Bob Barr, Ralph Nader and a ficus.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:31 PM

1,856 posts, read 1,513,833 times
Agreed 100%. If a black guy had all the **** that happened to Palin's kids happen, people would just be like, "well, that's par the course for those people." And don't sit there and say people wouldn't say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections