Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 AM

6 posts, read 7,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW transplant View Post
You know this how?

I'll counter your assumption by mentioning Al Gore received 90% of the Black vote. African American have always overwhelmingly voted Democrat.

Alan Keyes didn't get the Black vote and neither did Ezola Foster.

No... Overwhelmingly, the African Americans haven't Voted at all! sad but true. I think there should be a little questionnaire every American has to take walking into the polls to qualify them. Maybe like 5 questions, just so we know they not only can read, but understand who they are voting for, and why... This wont be the first guy elected for the wrong reason, but it will be the most devastating to this country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 11:34 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,419,399 times
Gee, nothing racist there.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:37 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,532,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson60 View Post
Obama served this country for less than a few hundred days and decided he's run for President, he's nothing but a professional liar!
Illinois State Senator, 1996-2005 - Senator Obama

Pot, meet kettle

Old 10-16-2008, 11:37 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,852,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Reparations. Nobody is talking about it but if Obama is elected there will be a big push for reparations for slavery. He's said he's against the idea but he's been known to refine his positions.

Obama made this statement at a minority journalists' convention this year:

"I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it's Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds."

Old 10-16-2008, 11:43 AM

And I hope if, and probably when he's President, he's capable of voting something other than "present" when asked to weigh in on important issues!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:45 AM

Racist? not hardly, I am African American... but thanks for trying. I speek the truth even when it's painful to do so. Unlike Obama!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:23 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,592,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
How many of the black voters vote for Obama because he is black and not because of his politics? And how many white Democrats choose not to vote at all because the candidate is black?
Do you think this election will have a bigger turnout then normally because of Obama?
Blacks may vote for Obama in part because he's black, but remember that blacks generally vote for the Democratic candidate anyway. The real test would be to run a black candidate as a Republican and see how many blacks will let race be the deciding factor in how they vote. As for whites not voting for Obama simply because he's black, well we all know there are plenty of those people. Just look at places like West Virginia or Kentucky where whites voted for Hillary because she was white. And for many in West Virginia, even that wasn't enough. A significant percentage voted for Edwards, despite the fact that he dropped out months earlier. But this election will have a huge turnout, not because of Obama's race, but because the stakes have never felt higher. When the financial markets are crumbling, when the economy is sinking into recession, when people are losing their homes, and when the country is stuck in 2 wars, people are finally realizing this isn't just any election. That's why non-issues like gay marriage aren't being talked about. There are too many real issues and people are craving leadership.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:24 PM

442 posts, read 787,973 times
Cuz he's black.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:56 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,516,852 times
I'll never vote for Obama because he's black.

I'm gonna vote for Obama because I'm black.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:08 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,053,384 times
Still waiting to read a response to my question about why is it wrong for African Americans to vote for a candidate of their own ethnic background and political philosophy, when every ethnic ground seeking political power has done the same?

It would seem, just on the face of it, a completely illogical and counter to self-interest for any minority group seeking to improve their political influence to "not" vote for a candidate who intimately shared their values, history and cultural affinity and more importantly, their political philosophy.

This has been the historic template for every emerging ethnic group working within the American political system. So, I find it more than a bit bizarre that the question is even being raised in any serious manner. Hasn't the historic argument amongst the racial discrimination deniers that all "blacks" had to do was stop their whining and join the political process? So why all the agitation when African Americans do exactly the same as Irish, Italian, Catholic, Jewish, Cuban, and Mexican Americans have done throughout the country. Why this special singling out of African Americans for employing the same electoral strategy of any other ethnic constituency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections