U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-21-2008, 07:28 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,395,254 times

Advertisements

YouTube - ABC Roundtable: McCain "Unpresidential" & Age Issue
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 07:31 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,465,636 times
I liked that. I realized it was definately one-sided, but it was very morale boosting.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:34 PM
NCN

14,087 posts, read 12,486,704 times
McCain is the most presidental looking person running. His wife looks like she invented the First Lady job.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:37 PM

That was George Will who said that McCain was "unpresidential," and who said that he left many conservatives "fearful."

George Will is one of the most conservative Republican political pundits out there. He always has been. If McCain makes George Will "fearful," you Republicans ought to be listening.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:42 PM
NCN

Are you suggesting that Obama would be a more conservative choice? LOL
I have never heard of George Will, so I won't be asking him for his opinion.
I am able to make my own choices without getting others permission.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you've never heard of George Will, that's a pretty good indication that you are a generally uninformed person.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:54 PM

2,367 posts, read 3,959,486 times
Quote:
George Will is one of the best known journalists of recent times, and one who 'specializes' in politics. He is known to be quite conservative, so his opinion might be one conservatives might want to heed. I listen to him regularly and I have not ever heard him quite so negative about a fellow conservative.

So that you know who he is for future reference, here are his journalistic qualifications:

Will served as an editor for the conservative magazine National Review from 1972 to 1978. He joined the Washington Post Writers Group in 1979, writing a syndicated twice-weekly column, which became widely circulated among newspapers across the country. In 1976, he became a contributing editor for Newsweek, writing a biweekly backpage column. As of 2008, Will still writes both columns.

Will was widely praised by liberals for condemning the corruption of the Nixon presidency. He won a Pulitzer Prize for Commentary for "distinguished commentary on a variety of topics" in 1977. Often combining factual reporting with conservative commentary, Will's columns are known for their erudite vocabulary, allusions to political philosophers, and frequent references to baseball.

Will has also written two best-selling books on the game of baseball, three books on political philosophy, and has published eleven compilations of his columns for the Washington Post and Newsweek and of various book reviews and lectures.

Will is also a news analyst for ABC since the early 1980s and was a founding member on the panel of ABC's This Week with David Brinkley in 1981 (now titled This Week with George Stephanopolous). Will was also a regular panelist on television's Agronsky & Company from 1977 through 1984 and on NBC's Meet the Press in the middle and late 1970s.

This comes from Wikipedia, and while I don't normally quote from there, this is biographical and factual information. If you'd like a non-Wiki cite, here's one: ABC Medianet (broken link)

Last edited by cmacf1; 09-21-2008 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: too many 'fellows'

Old 09-21-2008, 08:00 PM

4,282 posts, read 7,154,279 times
Quote:
How are things under the rock?

But seriously though I started reading him in National Review years ago (70s?), and casually followed his opinions as he moved around. I respect him.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:06 PM
NCN

There are some things it is not necessary to know in order to live a good life and evidently George Will is one of them. I will repeat. I make up my own mind. I do not need someone else to tell me how I should think. I will not be voting for Obama. I don't like him or the policies of the Democratic Party. That is why I changed from a Democrat to a Republican a few years back. McCain/Palin is my choice. America would be a better place if more people were like me and thought for themselves instead of thinking they should get permission from some journalist. If I wanted someone else to think for me I could just follow the rest of the robots that will vote for Obama.

I have nothing against this journalist. Right now I am writing a book myself. That takes up most of my time.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
There are some things it is not necessary to know in order to live a good life and evidently George Will is one of them. I will repeat. I make up my own mind. I do not need someone else to tell me how I should think. I will not be voting for Obama. I don't like him or the policies of the Democratic Party. That is why I changed from a Democrat to a Republican a few years back. McCain/Palin is my choice. America would be a better place if more people were like me and thought for themselves instead of thinking they should get permission from some journalist. If I wanted someone else to think for me I could just follow the rest of the robots that will vote for Obama.
Really? What Democratic policies do you not like, in terms of Obama's position? Specifically?

And what Republican policies do you like, in terms of McCain's position? Specifically?

Because it seems to be that you're just blindly voting for a party, not for a candidate, and not in response to the candidates' positions. So who's the "robot" here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections