Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:46 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,352,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatinNJ View Post
Obama is big on education and would like to reform the education system. He wants to make it easer for students to go to college and the students will have to give back to the community. My impression of Obama is that he believes in teaching a man to fish, not giving him a fish (at least, not a long-term enabler). Call it a hands up.

You know what he is paying those untrained "college students"

$30/hr for each of those "volunteer" jobs....

That's more than the average American makes per year. Teaching a man to fish? What part of giving them money for community service is teaching them to fish......He will tell you that....His lawyer degree got him $13,000 a year as a community organizer....meanwhile he was in debt for school still....Hence the "audacity of hope" at a 27 years old....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 06:54 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,848,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
half brother of a father he only knew for a few years. met the man for only a few minutes. God..... i get tired of stating the obvious time after time after time. HE OWED NOTHING TO THIS MAN!!
But he made a big deal of telling the Pastor at Saddleback that one of America's greatest moral failings was that we did not take care of our "brothers".

So, which is it. He said that out of political expediency...or he should be helping his bro in Kenya.

Can't have it both ways.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:53 AM

216 posts, read 289,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You know what he is paying those untrained "college students"

$30/hr for each of those "volunteer" jobs....

That's more than the average American makes per year. Teaching a man to fish? What part of giving them money for community service is teaching them to fish......He will tell you that....His lawyer degree got him $13,000 a year as a community organizer....meanwhile he was in debt for school still....Hence the "audacity of hope" at a 27 years old....
I'm not clear on your point, but I just don't see it as a problem.

I feel that paying $30/hr is great opportunity for these young volunteers. The money can be used as help pay college cost and can be a motivating tool to inspire them to continue to strive for more. As far as being Untrained, we all had to be trained at some point in our lives and careers.

But maybe I'm missing your point.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:04 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,604,320 times
Quote:
I'm not clear on your point, but I just don't see it as a problem.

I feel that paying $30/hr is great opportunity for these young volunteers. The money can be used as help pay college cost and can be a motivating tool to inspire them to continue to strive for more. As far as being Untrained, we all had to be trained at some point in our lives and careers.

But maybe I'm missing your point.
Who will be paying those college students $30 an hour for their volunteerism? To give you a hint, and it would be the same people who thought the $500 hammer was a good deal. The only difference is.....just where is all that money going to come from? Raising taxes only on the rich wouldn't provide it, unless he taxes them out of exisitence.

Now, I think a better approach is to widen the system that is already in place (I don't know if it is a federal or state program) where people will get their schooling either free or greatly reduced if they agree to practice/work in a small town or low income urban area. Teachers, medical professionals, lawyers, journalists, business majors --- all and more could benefit many areas of the US that is underserved. Think 'Northern Exposure' with a humanitarian bent. That I could get behind, not paying self indulgent azzholes prime money for 'helping' in some vague way.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,352,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Who will be paying those college students $30 an hour for their volunteerism? To give you a hint, and it would be the same people who thought the $500 hammer was a good deal. The only difference is.....just where is all that money going to come from? Raising taxes only on the rich wouldn't provide it, unless he taxes them out of exisitence.

Now, I think a better approach is to widen the system that is already in place (I don't know if it is a federal or state program) where people will get their schooling either free or greatly reduced if they agree to practice/work in a small town or low income urban area. Teachers, medical professionals, lawyers, journalists, business majors --- all and more could benefit many areas of the US that is underserved. Think 'Northern Exposure' with a humanitarian bent. That I could get behind, not paying self indulgent azzholes prime money for 'helping' in some vague way.
  • A $65 billion-a-year health plan
  • $15 billion in green energy spending
  • $85 billion in tax cuts and credits
  • A $25 billion-a-year increase in foreign aid
  • $18 billion a year in education spending
  • $3.5 billion for a national service plan
845 billion to 3rd world countries...
Civilian armies equal to our army....439 billion a year....
Fixing the AMT...50 billion...

Obama's Trillion-Dollar Spending Plan - Capital Commerce (usnews.com)

Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 AM

216 posts, read 289,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

With the recent years of wasteful spending by the government, I totally understand your point. I was very upset after viewing a special report on wasteful spending of the sub-contractors used by the government for the Iraq war.

Raising taxes on the higher income tax payers and small business is upsetting for those affected by it. I'm still not clear on where McCain stand on many issues, the debate will be helpful. I understand that McCain's would like to lower tax in all income categories, but how will he balance the budget?

In July 2008 McCain planned to reform wasteful spending by targeting Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Now, he talking reforming earmarks, when he himself received earmarks as governor. I have a difficult time believing McCain will reform anything, maybe reform his original program plans.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11553.html

Obama and McCain Tax Proposals - washingtonpost.com
Obama and McCain Tax Proposals

According to a new analysis by the Tax Policy Center, a joint project of the Urban Institute and the Brookings Institution, Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain are both proposing tax plans that would result in cuts for most American families. Obama's plan gives the biggest cuts to those who make the least, while McCain would give the largest cuts to the very wealthy. For the approximately 147,000 families that make up the top 0.1 percent of the income scale, the difference between the two plans is stark. While McCain offers a $269,364 tax cut, Obama would raise their taxes, on average, by $701,885 - a difference of nearly $1 million.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:28 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,264,168 times
I can't believe people are paying attention to this crap.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:39 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,377,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I can't believe people are paying attention to this crap.
I believe Obama is where he is because no one was paying attention. Knowledge is power, examine the character of the man.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:41 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,568,066 times
+ Obama's plan will make sure more people will lose money on their 401K and moe people will lose their jobs!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:10 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,604,320 times
Quote:
With the recent years of wasteful spending by the government, I totally understand your point. I was very upset after viewing a special report on wasteful spending of the sub-contractors used by the government for the Iraq war.

Raising taxes on the higher income tax payers and small business is upsetting for those affected by it. I'm still not clear on where McCain stand on many issues, the debate will be helpful. I understand that McCain's would like to lower tax in all income categories, but how will he balance the budget?

In July 2008 McCain planned to reform wasteful spending by targeting Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Now, he talking reforming earmarks, when he himself received earmarks as governor. I have a difficult time believing McCain will reform anything, maybe reform his original program plans.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

McCain promises to balance budget - Mike Allen - Politico.com

Obama and McCain Tax Proposals - washingtonpost.com
Obama and McCain Tax Proposals

According to a new analysis by the Tax Policy Center, a joint project of the Urban Institute and the Brookings Institution, Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain are both proposing tax plans that would result in cuts for most American families. Obama's plan gives the biggest cuts to those who make the least, while McCain would give the largest cuts to the very wealthy. For the approximately 147,000 families that make up the top 0.1 percent of the income scale, the difference between the two plans is stark. While McCain offers a $269,364 tax cut, Obama would raise their taxes, on average, by $701,885 - a difference of nearly $1 million.

Listen, I am not voting for mccain either...he is no more interested in getting the budget under control then obama is. For example, if I wanted to reduce my debt I would stop charging on my ccs till they were paid off and live well within my means. Does either mccains or obamas plan support such fiscal responsibility? No, its just a big shell game with money going here to pay this by taxing those etc.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections