Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 09:18 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Candidates spend a lot of time talking, and they all misspeak sometimes. But did anyone else notice this, from Wednesday's much-covered McCain-Palin Town Hall event in Grand Rapids, Mich., where Palin answered questions from people in the audience? McCain said this near the end of the clip below, as he's talking up Palin's foreign policy/national security credentials:

"I also know, if I might remind you, that she is commander of the Alaska National Guard. In fact, you may know that on Sept. 11 a large contingent of the Alaska Guard deployed to Iraq and her son happened to be one of them. So I think she understands our national security challenges..."

The ceremony Palin attended at Fort Wainwright last week didn't involve the Alaska National Guard. Palin's son is in the Army, and his unit - 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division - deployed to Iraq.
adn.com | Alaska Politics Blog, via Greg Mitchell: Giant Gaffe: McCain Confuses National Guard and Army -- and Palin's Son

Because of the hallmark sentimental note in it I think this was a deliberate pander job. Like the Steelers/Packers pander in Pittsburgh, devaluing a story he should have held inviolate as one of the cherished, defining moments of his life and instead threw away in order to....pander. (McCain's mind no steel trap in recalling Steelers)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 09:30 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
I just feel the Senator doesn't care anymore. No more telling him how the "Google" can be looked at by anyone who want's to compare your words and video, no more of this "internets" showing how he voted on Bills, just let me say and do what it takes to get the Presidency.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Candidates spend a lot of time talking, and they all misspeak sometimes. But did anyone else notice this, from Wednesday's much-covered McCain-Palin Town Hall event in Grand Rapids, Mich., where Palin answered questions from people in the audience? McCain said this near the end of the clip below, as he's talking up Palin's foreign policy/national security credentials:

"I also know, if I might remind you, that she is commander of the Alaska National Guard. In fact, you may know that on Sept. 11 a large contingent of the Alaska Guard deployed to Iraq and her son happened to be one of them. So I think she understands our national security challenges..."

The ceremony Palin attended at Fort Wainwright last week didn't involve the Alaska National Guard. Palin's son is in the Army, and his unit - 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division - deployed to Iraq.
adn.com | Alaska Politics Blog, via Greg Mitchell: Giant Gaffe: McCain Confuses National Guard and Army -- and Palin's Son

Because of the hallmark sentimental note in it I think this was a deliberate pander job. Like the Steelers/Packers pander in Pittsburgh, devaluing a story he should have held inviolate as one of the cherished, defining moments of his life and instead threw away in order to....pander. (McCain's mind no steel trap in recalling Steelers)
Well, I would love to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he simply misspoke, but, the campaign made such a point of talking about the boy's enlistment and deployment during the RNC that I really have to agree with you.

Another thing that keeps bugging me is that they keep saying that he deployed on 9/11 - the deployment ceremony that the Gov. spoke at was held on 9/11, her son's brigade did not deploy on 9/11.

This is confirmed by the ADN:
"Thursday's deployment ceremony was held on the seventh anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks on New York City and Washington, D.C., but Private First Class Track Palin and his unit won't actually ship overseas until later this month, according to military officials. Once the group gets to the country, they will be in northern Iraq, likely the province of Diyala, and Track Palin will help provide security for the brigade's commander and deputy commander. The unit will be in Iraq for a year."
Palin speaks at deployment ceremony: Gov. Sarah Palin | adn.com

Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,279,857 times
eh. not a big deal. I think he legitimately didn't know.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:48 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,042,549 times
Let me beat the Obama haters to the punch

'Yeah but Obama needs a teleprompter'

'oh yeah, and he likes to kill babies'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections