Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 03:04 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So I'm pulling the race card because another posted wondered if black parents would name their kids Obama?
I don't pretend to know why you're doing it. However, I suspect it's because you're so conditioned to be hyper-sensitive to race that you go out of your way to find it where it isn't being observed in any negative way.

Quote:
But that poster was correct in his thinking because since black people like Obama they are more likely to name their kids after him? Really?
I don't know if the poster was correct or not. However, considering what the news says about the percentage of blacks voting for Obama, I consider the conclusion logical.

Quote:
No, but you spouting off fictional numbers as if they are facts does make you look a little dumb.
I think it makes me look like I don't really care what actual percentage of blacks are voting for Obama. Again, don't jump to conclusions.

Quote:
Does Obama have support from the majority of the black voting population? Yes. Is it 98%? No. I've been black all my life and I've never seen 98% of the black population agree on anything - this election is no different.
The figure is irrelevant. There's no question about it. You say it's not possible, I say I don't care. There's no argument.

Quote:
You like to dance around things by throwing out the word racist.
I've never noticed. What exactly am I dancing around?

Quote:
You are one of those people who have made that word have absolutely no meaning because you say it every time you don't agree with what someone else says.
No ma'am. I don't believe that for an instant. I'm one of those people who frequently try pinning down a definition from those who use it so that it can be discusses without the stereotypical subjectivity blacks who use it hide behind.

As a matter of fact, I'd venture to say that I'm one of those people who are using the term in such a way that it preserves it's true evil: Treating someone on the basis of their pigmentation.

Quote:
So if 98% (that was the number you threw out there right) of the women population were supporting Hillary, does that mean that women would have been naming their daughter Hillary all of a sudden?
I believe so.

Quote:
What gets me is that people fail to realize that the black population typically supports the democatic candidate. So based on your logic that black people will name their kids after someone they support; there should be kids running around named after every democratic candidate that had the majority vote amongst the black population.
That's true. But the premise that's missing is that he's the first serious presidential candidate. He may be the first black president. That's huge, IMO. That's what sets him apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 03:18 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyT View Post
Black Americans will NEVER stop making excuses and some will continue sitting on the front porch in their rocking chair waiting for the mailman to deliver that welfare check.
this is extremely racist and offensive inane dribble.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:01 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,031 times
Boy, what a bunch of simple minded bigots on this forum. Do any of you far right white trash have any interest in a more united society where people can stop looking at race as the issue that divides. Over time it is not race that divides. It is culture and organized relegion that divide people. In nearly all forms, relegion separates, accuses, distorts and and trys to control those of different beliefs.

We should all hope that if Obama gets elected he may serve as a representative of opportunity for all people that getting educated, working hard and following your goals can lead to success and abundance in their lives. I am hoping that he could serve as inspiration to the youth of America, whites and minorities included, that they can idolize more than blingy sports stars, gold toothed rappers with chips on their shoulders who sing about raping women and killing gays, or superficial self absorbed airhead celebrities. The young people in this country deserve better than that.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:13 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Why do we have to wait for Obama to get elected? He should be seen as a positive black role model even if he doesn't win the election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Boy, what a bunch of simple minded bigots on this forum. Do any of you far right white trash have any interest in a more united society where people can stop looking at race as the issue that divides. Over time it is not race that divides. It is culture and organized relegion that divide people. In nearly all forms, relegion separates, accuses, distorts and and trys to control those of different beliefs.

We should all hope that if Obama gets elected he may serve as a representative of opportunity for all people that getting educated, working hard and following your goals can lead to success and abundance in their lives. I am hoping that he could serve as inspiration to the youth of America, whites and minorities included, that they can idolize more than blingy sports stars, gold toothed rappers with chips on their shoulders who sing about raping women and killing gays, or superficial self absorbed airhead celebrities. The young people in this country deserve better than that.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:17 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
this is extremely racist and offensive inane dribble.
That's a awfully mild assessment.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:35 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,031 times
zonababe you are right, I'm sure he is a role model for many already. There are just too many out there though that feel that a black man in the presidency, even only half black, is a step towards decimating the superiority of white power in this country. These same people still think 9/11 was caused by Iraq, that Bush is a commendable leader, and that Cheney, Rumsfeld and the rest of the filth in this current administration have taken us down the right path.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:35 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Boy, what a bunch of simple minded bigots on this forum.
One of the things that I hated about the West Coast is the terror with which the natives approached confrontation. Instead of being direct and saying "X is a bigot," they'd say "what a bunch of bigots." The result was a lot of excessively sensitive people because everyone was worried that everyone was talking about them... The more obvious result was that people were afraid to take risks.

So, why don't you be helpful and cite the individuals who make up that group of bigots and for what reason you consider them bigots so that you're not relying on the superstition of others to communicate what you fear saying?

Quote:
Do any of you far right white trash have any interest in a more united society where people can stop looking at race as the issue that divides.
Yes, that's why I talk about it openly. Growing up in Detroit, MI, black, white and brown, we all made fun of each other for the stereotypes of our peoples... and none of us were racist. We were happy and comfortable with race.

When I went out to the West Coast where there were few blacks and the browns were at a distance, I found that no one would talk about race and, as a result, everyone was crazy hyper-sensitive. Without open communication, I believe we build walls of paranoia around our normal thoughts about race.

Quote:
... organized relegion that divide people. In nearly all forms, relegion separates, accuses, distorts and and trys to control those of different beliefs.
Organized religion saved me from a life of crime. Organized religion saved a lot of people I might have hurt through selling drugs and violence. God was merciful and saved me.

I have never felt religion drove me to do anything except try to help others... even when that means not being so nice.

Perhaps your religion issue has more to do with who you surround yourself by than what is out there.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnamecanido View Post
Actually, you are right. Oprah is a good role model.

I could easily be wrong, but who is a good popular black male role model? By good, I mean moral and intelligent.

You're right. You're wrong. You need to show more knowledge before asking dumb questions......

Old 10-17-2008, 09:10 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnamecanido View Post
Actually, you are right. Oprah is a good role model.

I could easily be wrong, but who is a good popular black male role model? By good, I mean moral and intelligent.

It may come as a shock to some but a whole LOT of black kids have a very good black male role model that they call DAD.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:11 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
It may come as a shock to some but a whole LOT of black kids have a very good black male role model that they call DAD.
Stop giving up secrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections