Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:04 AM

745 posts, read 1,297,166 times

Advertisements

C) a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to
23 accept a detachable magazine and has any of the
24 following:
25 (i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to
26 the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
27 (ii) a barrel having a threaded muzzle;
28 (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or
29 partially or completely encircles the barrel, and
30 that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with
31 the non-trigger hand without being burned;
32 (iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or
33 more when the pistol is unloaded; or
34 (v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic
1 firearm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 12:54 PM

It is not a ban on all handguns. If you can't stop an indruder with 8 shots, the gun is not the problem. And you don't need something with a flash supressor either.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 PM

973 posts, read 2,228,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
It is not a ban on all handguns. If you can't stop an indruder with 8 shots, the gun is not the problem. And you don't need something with a flash supressor either.
Sure, 3 guys come at you.. good luck protecting yourself with a 6-shot revolver or a 5 round pump shotgun. Keep in mind they will have semi-autos, likely with 15-30 rounds per magazine. As for flash supression - I guess you've never fired a gun in conditions darker than broad daylight. In moderate conditions, where you can easily see what you're shooting at and understand the threat, you'll blind yourself more than the enemy - good luck hitting much with followup shots.

I agree that you don't need a sound supressor (silencer), but limiting someone to 8 rounds by assuming they'll only face 1 intruder is ridiculous.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:10 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,847,179 times
I love chicks in pickups. Especially when they sit right next to their man.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
Sure, 3 guys come at you.. good luck protecting yourself with a 6-shot revolver or a 5 round pump shotgun. Keep in mind they will have semi-autos, likely with 15-30 rounds per magazine. As for flash supression - I guess you've never fired a gun in conditions darker than broad daylight. In moderate conditions, where you can easily see what you're shooting at and understand the threat, you'll blind yourself more than the enemy - good luck hitting much with followup shots.

I agree that you don't need a sound supressor (silencer), but limiting someone to 8 rounds by assuming they'll only face 1 intruder is ridiculous.
I keep a sig 357, but I'm thinking about getting the Judge that fires 410 shells, and I feel comfortable with either. At some point, these hypothetical get a little absurd with several intruders barging into my house with AR's blazing, don't you think? I'm preparing for one or two intruders that better be able to shoot better than me in the dark in my own house.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:46 PM

Also, I did mean flash suppressor, and I took a close quarter combat course from an FBI instructor, so I'm pretty confident I'll get them before they get me.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:52 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
God the NRA is one irritating organization. They are like the right-wing version of PETA. All publicity stunts, little meaningful work done.
They are pretty extreme. But what do you think about the 2nd Ammendment? I don't think that Obama can come in and wipe it out. But the NRA will make sure of that. The NRA is down in the noise with this election, as is other special interest groups.

It's just as annoying to me to hear that Sarah Palin is a racist God-fearing Stepford Wife Hockey Mom who'll charge victims for a Rape-Kit.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:26 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,995 times
Default MCCain/Palin 2008 for real Change

I'm so happy that the NRA is fighting obama! Its a shame we have this obama guy lying to America how he has the knowledge to change America!

Yeah he will change it all right, for the worse!

Be careful, obama never ran anything, Palin alone has more experience then this obama clown.

Vote Wisely!

McCain/Palin 2008

Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
I'm so happy that the NRA is fighting obama! Its a shame we have this obama guy lying to America how he has the knowledge to change America!

Yeah he will change it all right, for the worse!

Be careful, obama never ran anything, Palin alone has more experience then this obama clown.

Vote Wisely!

McCain/Palin 2008
The NRA has totally misrepresented Obama's stance on gun control. If he is as bad as they say, they shouldn't need to lie about his record.

I'm so sick of "Palin has more experience", if that is true, then she also has more experience than McCain. And George HW Bush had more experience than any other person to run for president, and his administration is not exactly reflected upon with fondness.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I've been somebody who, well before the recent Supreme Court case, stated my belief that the Second Amendment was an individual right.
Quote:
[T]he Second Amendment is an individiual right and...law-abiding gun owners can't be prevented from going out and hunting, protecting their family on their own
Quote:
[i]t doesn't mean that we can't have some common-sense gun control legislation out there- for example, background checks, making sure that we're keeping guns out of the hands of criminals or people with mental ilnesses.
Quote:
I'm more interested in enforcing the laws that we do have...[including] tracing guns that are used in crimes back to the people who have been using them.
~Barack Obama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections