Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:57 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I have always thought that all politicians speak in tongues--forked ones.
That may be true for all politicians, including all the ones mentioned in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 11:58 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Ah, from Boston! That explains it.
Seriously are you trying to say that Boston folks are dumber than, say, Alaskans?
How many colleges are there in just the city limits of Boston? At least 4 or 5, which is more than the entire state of Alaska and they have almost the same population.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
And why...are her looks even an asset? Who cares? You could put the ugliest man in the world up there, but if he has solutions, is knowledgeable and a TRUE patriot, and that means not pandering to interests or party issues, that's what would save our country.
This stupid "I wanna vote for her cuz she is a woman" stuff is dooming our nation.
Tell of of one woman or one man in Congress, as ugly as they all are, a patriot, with solutions, not pandering to interests or party issues, and one that would save our country. There are none.

Who knows? Maybe a woman, Palin in this case, is what this country needs. It's very possible that she has more guts than a lot of men in power at the moment. Just look at all the hate expressed toward her in this forum, nothing logical, all speculations and imagination running wild. Could it be that she instills fear on some men and women?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Seriously are you trying to say that Boston folks are dumber than, say, Alaskans?
How many colleges are there in just the city limits of Boston? At least 4 or 5, which is more than the entire state of Alaska and they have almost the same population.
No. You are saying that Bostonians are dumber than Alaskans, not me.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:13 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
No. You are saying that Bostonians are dumber than Alaskans, not me.
Really? How wrote this?

Originally Posted by franman66
You see, she not only looks hot but -upon hearing her speak- one comes away with the impression that 6 Budweisers and half a joint later; "I can talk this dumb chick into doing ANYTHING".

This is the funniest things I've read here tonight. The thing is the National Enquirer is looking into some of those nights where she just might have done something with one of Todd's business buddies. Wouldn't that be a story? "Governor Palin did you drink 6 budweisers, smoke half a joint, and then have sex with this here redneck?"

(quote) Ray in AK:Ah, from Boston! That explains it.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:16 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Let's put this in perspective, shall we? Palin is getting a 2-day crash course in foreign policy.
I would imagine that virtually all candidates get briefings when running for high office, since most would not (especially governors, from where many of our Presidents have come) already have foreign policy experience, and therefore would not be knowledgeable on U.S. foreign policy issues (how much, for example, do you know?).

Here is an excerpt from one story about her meetings:

"Karzai, in an appearance later before the Asia Society, said he found Palin to be a "quite capable woman."

"She asked the right questions on Afghanistan," he said.

[Stephen] Biegun [Palin foreign policy adviser] said Palin asked a lot of questions from Kissinger about how to develop a "cooperative relationship" with Russia, whose invasion of U.S. ally Georgia has strained U.S.-Russian ties.

Palin is running for VP. Obama is running for President. What, exactly is his foreign policy experience/expertise? (Rhetorical question — he has none)

Obama too, gets his briefings. According to a July 17 New York Times story:

"Every day around 8 a.m., foreign policy aides at Senator Barack Obama's Chicago campaign headquarters send him two e-mails: a briefing on major world developments over the previous 24 hours and a set of questions, accompanied by suggested answers, that the candidate is likely to be asked about international relations during the day.

One recent Q. & A. asked, for example, whether Mr. Obama supported the decision by Iraq's prime minister, Nuri Kamal al-Maliki, to include a timetable for American troop withdrawal in any new security agreements with the United States. The answer, provided to Mr. Obama with bullet points, was yes -- or "a genuine opportunity," as he put it in a speech on Iraq this week"

Obama, may I remind you, is running for President. Sarah Palin is running for VP.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Is "What someone has to offer"...Religion, hunting, her relationship with her husband...all important to running the nation?
Are THESE the things that make you decide upon a candidate???

This nation is in a truly sorry state, if people vote on someone because they share a hobby, sport, or religion.
What people are saying is...that she...doesn't possess the ability to govern the nation, because you are basing that on things that have NOTHING TO DO with the issues.

This is the government, not a popularity contest or American Idol.
Did you even read my post? Clearly, that is not what I base my decisions on.

I don't think you read my post, or the one I was responding to. Go back and read it again.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 09-24-2008 at 04:41 AM..

Old 09-24-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
And why...are her looks even an asset? Who cares? You could put the ugliest man in the world up there, but if he has solutions, is knowledgeable and a TRUE patriot, and that means not pandering to interests or party issues, that's what would save our country.
This stupid "I wanna vote for her cuz she is a woman" stuff is dooming our nation.
Her looks are not important, and I would hope no one is basing a decision on this or the fact that she is a woman.

As for me, I see a governor who is smart, savvy, and has a record of getting things done, who is not afraid to shake things up a bit, and has achieved a high approval rating from the people of AK. She seems to be very capable. Not only that, her political ideals are conservative (McCain is not), which gives some balance to the ticket.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
looks, or gender, or race, or sexual orientation, or religious affiliation....ok, draw the line at speaking in tongues, we should not allow people in government who speak in tongues.
How do you even know if Sarah Palin claims to "speak in tongues"? You don't. Even if she did, so what? What do you even know of it, and why would it be a factor?

How do you know there are not already many in government who do claim to "speak in tongues"?

You claim that religious affiliation shouldn't be an issue; yet you then said that Palin's is.

Is Obama's affiliation with the so-called Reverend Wright an issue? His type of "religion" is a real threat. "Speaking in tongues" is not.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:44 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Save the cheap shots. Do you have anything intelligent to say, or is this the extent of your dislike for Palin:
  1. Her religion (Christian)
  2. Her love of hunting (which many people in my area enjoy, including Democrats)
  3. Your assessment of her relationship to her husband (How can you possibly know this?)
  4. Perceived lack of foreign policy experience (far better than what Obama has to offer, which is zero).
  5. Your conclusion that she is "phony" (and exactly what does that make Obama?)
The simple truth is, you wouldn't have anything good to say no matter what her qualifications.
Okay, let me be very concise. I do not give a rat's derriere as to the religious beliefs af anybody until it threatens the foundation of the country that I am living in. Sarah Palin's religious beliefs are of a cult like nature. Of particular concern should be the risk that this nation would have a chief executive that believed that the world was inevitably following a predetermined path to destruction. Imagine foreign policy decisions being made under those circumstances and the dangerous influence that such a belief could have.

What if the commander-in-chief should get it into his or her head that he or she was, in fact, God's instrument in bringing about this cataclysmic event, sometimes referred to as the rapture? It is true that the most extreme end-timers, known as Armageddonites, actually believe it is their duty to extend any and all diligent efforts, financially and politically, to bring about the apocalypse.

According to a Guardian article "central to the theory (of dispensationalism) is the Rapture, the second coming of Christ, which will presage the end of the world. A happy ending depends on the conversion of the Jews (to Christianity). And that, to cut a long story very short, can only happen if the Jews are in possession of all the lands given to them by God."

The Guardian article went on to say: "In other words, these Christians are supporting Jews in order to abolish them."

Many Christian fundamentalists feel that concern for the future of our planet is irrelevant, because it has no future. They believe we are living in the End Time, when the son of God will return, the righteous will enter heaven, and sinners will be condemned to eternal hellfire. They may also believe, along with millions of other Christian fundamentalists, that environmental destruction is not only to be disregarded but actually welcomed - even hastened - as a sign of the coming Apocalypse.
Her religious beliefs also dicate that she be subserviant to her Church and her husband and will not make a decision or take a stance wihtout their approval. I do not want bumpkin Todd running the government either!

As for the barbaric aerial hunting of wolves...she is condoning and participating in this horrific ritual to eliminate the competition for moose meat. From what I hear, the price for the license to hunt moose is high enough for her to want to entice more people to apply for them. Get rid of the wolves and more licenses applied for...get it?

As for her qualifications, are you referring to the fact that she can see Russia from her porch? Oh yeah, I can see a hospital from my window, does this qualify me to perform heart surgery?

She's the perfect puppet for this administration and that's all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections