U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,255,236 times

Advertisements

Say what you will, decry the military all you want, wish for a smaller if not a completely gone military presence, and you will get what you wish for: Annihilation.

Quote:
War On Terror: Islamic terrorists have attacked a hotel and a U.S. embassy in the span of two weeks. Russia is invading American allies and sending warships to our hemisphere. What would Obama do? Gut the military.

That's right, the Democrat choice for commander in chief wants to not only slash military spending but dismantle our nuclear arsenal all so he can pay for his massive new welfare programs.

Didn't hear that in his acceptance speech in Denver? That's because he knows better than to make such an anti-military plan widely known. But he made the little-noticed pledge just before the Iowa caucus to a left-wing pacifist group that seeks to reallocate defense dollars to welfare programs. The lobbying group, Caucus for Priorities, was so impressed by Obama's anti-military offering that it steered its 10,000 devotees his way.
I just cannot believe this man is so naive as to believe he can patronize foreign powers, and the United States populace as well, and his followers will follow him to oblivion. Absolutely unbelievable to me.

IBDeditorials.com: Editorials, Political Cartoons, and Polls from Investor's Business Daily -- Powell's No-Brainer (http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=306977850996507 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 PM

29,794 posts, read 34,889,516 times
Robert Kagan - Obama the Interventionist - washingtonpost.com
Okay, you say, but at least Obama is proposing all this Peace Corps-like activity as a substitute for military power. Surely he intends to cut or at least cap a defense budget soaring over $500 billion a year. Surely he understands there is no military answer to terrorism.

Actually, Obama wants to increase defense spending. He wants to add 65,000 troops to the Army and recruit 27,000 more Marines. Why? To fight terrorism.

He wants the American military to "stay on the offense, from Djibouti to Kandahar," and he believes that "the ability to put boots on the ground will be critical in eliminating the shadowy terrorist networks we now face." He wants to ensure that we continue to have "the strongest, best-equipped military in the world."

Obama never once says that military force should be used only as a last resort. Rather, he insists that "no president should ever hesitate to use force -- unilaterally if necessary," not only "to protect ourselves . . . when we are attacked," but also to protect "our vital interests" when they are "imminently threatened." That's known as preemptive military action. It won't reassure those around the world who worry about letting an American president decide what a "vital interest" is and when it is "imminently threatened."

Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 PM

He did say he wants to cut wasteful spending. Is there a suggestion that McCain supports wasteful spending in this thread and thats where the concept of Obama cutting spending has legs?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:42 PM

826 posts, read 1,468,753 times
LOL Obama is such an idiot who could ever want this man as president!?!?!?!

Honestly if a nuke comes towards the US we will have no defense because things like universal health care and the billions of dollars he wants to spend in his programs will make our defense system equal to that of a piece of paper getting set on fire.

My vote this year goes to LIVING for years to come

Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 PM

[quote=Delta Planter;5381163]Say what you will, decry the military all you want, wish for a smaller if not a completely gone military presence, and you will get what you wish for: Annihilation.

I just cannot believe this man is so naive as to believe he can patronize foreign powers, and the United States populace as well, and his followers will follow him to oblivion. Absolutely unbelievable to me.
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - McCain attacks Obama on military spending - Blogs from CNN.com
I will cut tens of billions of dollars in wasteful spending, Obama said in the video. I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems. I will not weaponize space. I will slow our development of future combat systems.

So Mr. Anti earmarks McCain is in favor of wasteful spending for defense contractors?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:44 PM

Wow oh wow McCain is now in favor of earmarks for defense contractors as stated in this thread. Wow oh wow.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,238,735 times
If you people really think Obama is going to gut the military you are fools, sorry, plain and simple.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 PM

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - McCain attacks Obama on military spending - Blogs from CNN.com
LEE’S SUMMIT, Missouri (CNN) –John McCain is launching a new line of attack against Barack Obama, criticizing his rival for saying Sunday that he would buck his own party by calling for an increase in the size of the U.S. military.

“Of course, now he wants to increase it,” McCain told an audience in Lee’s Summit, Missouri Monday. “But during the primary he told a liberal advocacy group that he’d cut defense spending by tens of billions of dollars. He promised them he would, quote, ‘slow our development of future combat systems.’”

McCain was referring to a YouTube clip from last October that features Obama promising the non-profit group “Caucus for Priorities” that he would reduce wasteful military spending.

“I will cut tens of billions of dollars in wasteful spending,” Obama said in the video. “I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems. I will not weaponize space. I will slow our development of future combat systems.”

Is this another right wing attempt to lie and deceive you voters? Nah they would never do that would they?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 PM

826 posts, read 1,468,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
If you people really think Obama is going to gut the military you are fools, sorry, plain and simple.

YouTube - IN 52 SECS WHY BARACK OBAMA CANNOT WIN A GENERAL ELECTION

Start explaining

Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,819,620 times
A prominent blogger's take on Obama's Defense proposals:

Obama begins the Defense page with the following quote from a statement he made at the Chicago Foreign Affairs Council on April 23, 2007: “Our country’s greatest military asset is the men and women who wear the uniform of the United States. When we do send our men and women into harm’s way, we must also clearly define the mission, prescribe concrete political and military objectives, seek out advice of our military commanders, evaluate the intelligence, plan accordingly, and ensure that our troops have the resources, support, and equipment they need to protect themselves and fulfill their mission.” [I have to stop right here. Obama has already set forth his withdrawal of troops plan for Iraq before even talking to the military commanders. He also recently voted against additional funding for the troops in the U.S. Senate. These are apparently just words that have no meaning to him. Additionally, according to his own words, the military would only be sent after all political solutions have been exhausted. Why then would our military mission need to have political objectives associated with their mission?]

Barack Obama - Searching his Website for CHANGE: The Defense Issue (Part 5 of 28) Politically Right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections