Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:50 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times

Advertisements

The Humane Society Legislative Fund has never endorsed for president before. They must feel this election is of utmost importance to their concerns. Please click the link, the endorsement is long, detailed, and quite enlightening.

Personally, I don't see how anyone who loves animals could support a ticket with Palin on it, but then again it's been my experience that very few Republicans are animal lovers. I pity those that don't love animals, I'm just glad I'm not one of them.

Quote:
Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) has been a solid supporter of animal protection at both the state and federal levels. As an Illinois state senator, he backed at least a dozen animal protection laws, including those to strengthen the penalties for animal cruelty, to help animal shelters, to promote spaying and neutering, and to ban the slaughter of horses for human consumption. In the U.S. Senate, he has consistently co-sponsored multiple bills to combat animal fighting and horse slaughter, and has supported efforts to increase funding for adequate enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act, Humane Methods of Slaughter Act, and federal laws to combat animal fighting and puppy mills.
Quote:
The choice for animals is especially clear now that Palin is in the mix. If Palin is put in a position to succeed McCain, it could mean rolling back decades of progress on animal issues.

https://community.hsus.org/humane/no...er_id=27497157
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:54 AM

109 posts, read 603,543 times
Thanks for letting me know this. I will no longer donate funds to PETA because they decided to not take a political stand for animals causes. I will donate to the humane society instead. It has become apparent that PETA would rather go after Red Lobster. Below is PETA's response to why they won't take a stand against Palin" Their response is not good enough for me because it does not stop the churches from participating in our political system.

Please understand that PETA opposes any activity that causes intentional harm to animals, including hunting and fishing.

As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, however, PETA is prohibited from participating in any political campaigns or endorsing or opposing a particular candidate or party.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Sweet. I love animals, and one of the things I hate most about Palin is the "helicopter shooting".

Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Thanks, this goes to show that folks are looking at issues of character and how they play out in decisions made by those in power. I found it very distressing that the Governor circumvented the law and had to be reined in by a Judge. The $150.00 bounty on wolves without proper council was sickening to read about.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoagirl View Post
Thanks for letting me know this. I will no longer donate funds to PETA because they decided to not take a political stand for animals causes. I will donate to the humane society instead. It has become apparent that PETA would rather go after Red Lobster. Below is PETA's response to why they won't take a stand against Palin" Their response is not good enough for me because it does not stop the churches from participating in our political system.

Please understand that PETA opposes any activity that causes intentional harm to animals, including hunting and fishing.

As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, however, PETA is prohibited from participating in any political campaigns or endorsing or opposing a particular candidate or party.

Many high profile members of PETA have come out individually against Palin.

I wish PETA as an organization would come out against Palin as well, but the reason they cite is valid...it would give those that dislike the organization ammunition to use against them.

PETA still does some good work, such as the recent shooting and release of this undercover video at this hog farm that supplies Hormel.

YouTube - Hormel Pig Farm PETA

Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Wow...Goes to show that people and organizations of all kinds have had enough of Bush politics...We need change...Democratic change!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:31 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Why would one assume that a person who is a republican doesn't like animals? They may not support PETA because PETA is a loony organization, but it doesn't mean they don't love and appreciate pets and wildlife.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Why would one assume that a person who is a republican doesn't like animals? They may not support PETA because PETA is a loony organization, but it doesn't mean they don't love and appreciate pets and wildlife.

Forget about PETA, the Republican Party has consistently put big corporations, most notably Big Oil and the logging industry, ahead of the environment and wildlife concerns. You can't appreciate wildlife when their habitat is being systematically destroyed.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:51 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Thumbs up Thanks for this thread Upton!

Thanks so much for posting this Upton, it sheds a new light on the candidates.

The info about Joe Biden in the link is helpful as well, not everyone knows what a big animal rights supporter he is.

On the Hormel link, I knew about the footage, but I didn't watch it until just now. It is devastating . As a long time vegetarian, I'm well aware of the horrors of factory farming, but footage like this still brings me to tears each and every time.

No matter which candidate gets into office, I want progress on animal right issues, but with Obama I actually have hope that it will happen. Animal Rights and Human Rights are intertwined, everyone should remember that.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:54 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,673 times
Wait a minute, don't my Democrat Dogs for McCain have a say in this????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections