U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:27 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,636,762 times

Advertisements

Senator Obama - the Pastor debacle dragged way too long.

Senator McCain - the War, it was a mistake he'll replicate.

Senator Biden - past election folly's could be fanned.

Governor Palin - energy is a greater weakness than asset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 11:34 AM

13,757 posts, read 23,268,714 times
Good question.

McCain - failure to adequately separate himself from current Bush policies

Obama - appearance of trying to be all things to all people

Palin - establishing specific credibility and depth in national issues

Biden - contradicting what Obama is trying to state

Old 09-23-2008, 11:34 AM

1,169 posts, read 3,311,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
While I realize that pointing out the faults of others is as easy as breathing to the plethora of partisans who inhabit this and similar forums, lets try something one step further.

Give the one example of which issue or event caused the greatest damage to each candidate. Feel free to do the same for Palin and Biden, but remember just give one example before folks attempt to turn this into another neener neener partisan thread.

Obama, I think his association with his pastor will be seen as his biggest stumble.

McCain, His latest comments that the economy is "fundamentally sound" while it comes crashing down around him.

Well, your choices are very good. Since I can't pick the same I'd say.....

McCain - The McAmnesty ordeal. Not only did he co-sponsor the bill, he was always testy whenever anyone asked his position after it got thrown out. He now says he "got the message", but frankly I don't believe him.

Obama - Not picking Hillary. His message is change, but he picks someone who's been in Washington as long as McCain? Huh? I think he looks weak by not picking her. They would probably have won hands-down, but now it's closer than it would have been. All because he knew she would over-shadow him. IMO. He's weak.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:45 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,954,297 times
Obama - waiting until now to start hitting back
McCain - utter hypocrisy regarding vp pick
Biden - nothing special
Palin - needing the "handle with care" treatment regarding media questions, changing debate format, etc

Old 09-23-2008, 02:25 PM

11,128 posts, read 12,399,501 times
I am actually rather impressed by the diversity of answers. While there are some common sentiments that seem to permeate peoples views, such as lack of experience and more of the same, it pleases me to see this much diversity in views.

Kind of funny in a way that lack of experience and more of the same are the most common as it gives one a sense of irony. Not enough, you're no good, too much, you're no good because you are no different.

We need Goldilocks, who is juuuuuuust right. (chuckling)

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 09-23-2008 at 02:34 PM..

Old 09-23-2008, 02:27 PM

3,057 posts, read 8,298,735 times
Quote:
While I realize that pointing out the faults of others is as easy as breathing to the plethora of partisans who inhabit this and similar forums, lets try something one step further.

Give the one example of which issue or event caused the greatest damage to each candidate. Feel free to do the same for Palin and Biden, but remember just give one example before folks attempt to turn this into another neener neener partisan thread.

Obama, I think his association with his pastor will be seen as his biggest stumble.

McCain, His latest comments that the economy is "fundamentally sound" while it comes crashing down around him.
McCain: I agree with you, the economy comment and subsequent interviews regarding the economy lead voters to believe he's very out of touch and in his own "wealthy world." Bad mistake.

Obama: He hasn't made a major mistake yet, but he needs to give more reason to vote for him in reference to how he'll improve the economy. He needs to push "better economy" all the way until election day. Focus!

Palin: Inexperience and using her status as a woman for votes...surefire way to lose.

Biden: Seeming like too much of an angry attack dog and saying dopey things during interviews.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:28 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,468,208 times
Quote:
Well I was hoping folks would give one example for each candidate, the one they support as well as oppose.
Obama chose Biden who generates very little excitement. McCain is going down with the economy.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:30 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,837,953 times
McCain- Totally out of touch with the average american (pro-war? economy ok?)

Palin- Hidden from the press. hockey-mom VP? Love soccor/hockey-moms but i don't feel secure with one as VP or Pres.

Obama- Being black

Biden- Nothing really. Even he know's he is full of gaffes. At the end of the day I would feel better with him as VP rather then Palin

Old 09-23-2008, 03:20 PM

39,092 posts, read 23,248,048 times
There are a few more weeks left in this campaign, and each of the candidates could make major missteps, but

McCain--I think the biggest problem is that he's not the maverick of 2000 anymore. He's allowed himself to be molded by the GOP and I think he's given up more than he's gained in the bargain.

Palin--Her ambitions may have over-reached her abilities.

Obama--Not necessarily being black, but having a black Kenyan absentee father, a white mother, and a childhood that included multiple religions, multiple cultures makes some people see him as "not one of us" and distrust him. No matter how forthcoming or open he is, these people will look for signs that he's "not one of us."

Biden--He's smart, experienced, and sometimes befuddled. It's endearing in a Gerald Ford sort of way.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:23 PM

874 posts, read 1,637,148 times
McCain- Selecting Palin
Palin- Lack of education
Obama- Hillary, specifically the length of primary season hurt.
Biden- Gaffes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or