U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:25 AM

11,128 posts, read 12,436,794 times

Advertisements

While I realize that pointing out the faults of others is as easy as breathing to the plethora of partisans who inhabit this and similar forums, lets try something one step further.

Give the one example of which issue or event caused the greatest damage to each candidate. Feel free to do the same for Palin and Biden, but remember just give one example before folks attempt to turn this into another neener neener partisan thread.

Obama, I think his association with his pastor will be seen as his biggest stumble.

McCain, His latest comments that the economy is "fundamentally sound" while it comes crashing down around him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 10:42 AM

3,621 posts, read 4,067,727 times
Default I actually voted for experience before I voted for change

McCain’s choice of the Alaskan Governor as his running mate is the single event that has undermined his Presidential ambitions the most. It has shown him to be a reckless partisan that could easily betray the public trust for the sake of expediency. For any thoughtful moderate or conservative the VP pick shows hypocrisy, gross disrespect for responsible decision making and inconsistency of thought. If he should lose the election I would point to that one decision as most likely being the cause.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:47 AM

2,857 posts, read 5,875,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
McCain’s choice of the Alaskan Governor as his running mate is the single event that has undermined his Presidential ambitions the most. It has shown him to be a reckless partisan that could easily betray the public trust for the sake of expediency. For any thoughtful moderate or conservative the VP pick shows hypocrisy, gross disrespect for responsible decision making and inconsistency of thought. If he should lose the election I would point to that one decision as most likely being the cause.
I agree. People rave about the bump he got in the polls with Palin, and waking up the base . . . yadda, yadda, yadda. I think a well respected Republican somewhat to the right of McCain would have had the same initial impact, but with staying power.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:47 AM

11,128 posts, read 12,436,794 times
Well I was hoping folks would give one example for each candidate, the one they support as well as oppose.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:49 AM

3,491 posts, read 7,761,027 times
1) With McCain...with out a doubt the selection of Sarah Palin as his running mate.

2) For Obama, I think the fact that he is an African-American hurts him the most. While Obama wouldnt be where he is with out mass white support, there is a segment of people that wont vote for him because he is black and in a close race, that can mean all the difference in the world.

3) With Sarah Palin, I think the Troopergate issue and her lack of any kind of government experience (has difficulty answering questions from reporters)

4) For Biden, He has a big mouth and says the wrong thing some times. (like Hillary would have made a better VP) or (he disagrees with things being said in Obama's ads)

Old 09-23-2008, 10:50 AM

4,172 posts, read 5,883,953 times
McCain - Palin pick is an unqualified "heck with you" statement to the country.

Obama - I think he (like Democrats) is against (even partial) privatization of SS - I am for allowing this.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:54 AM

14,011 posts, read 7,569,602 times
McCain - Age, speaking voice, lack of charisma, not conservative enough.

Obama - Far left agenda, lack of experience, Associations with Wright, Ayers, etc, Joe Biden

You can argue that being Black has hurt Obama, but I also think its one of the only reason he's in the race.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:11 AM

936 posts, read 1,955,133 times
Obama - Reverend Wright
McCain - fundamentally sound economy or Palin (I think she's has the potential to become more of a liability for him every day, so I'm keeping Palin in my pocket as runner up)
Biden - nothing substantial at this point
Palin - diificulty speaking/thinking on her feet, either to reporters or general public during town halls

Old 09-23-2008, 11:19 AM

6,179 posts, read 10,237,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Give the one example of which issue or event caused the greatest damage to each candidate. Feel free to do the same for Palin and Biden,
1. Obama, lack of credibility due to lack of full support of party, his agenda might not be the party's agenda and he won't have a big enough mandate to curb the democrats' appetite to raid the other half of the treasury that the republicans have not already raided.

2. Biden, a decent family man, but he negates the change rhetoric and his policy stances don't help, ineffectual committee chairman over the years.

3. McCain, stands for nothing in particular, best asset is that he would provide balance to a democrat-majority Congress, even less gracious than Pres. Bush when it comes to expressing foreign policy.

4. Palin, has some charisma but inexperienced (though not less inexperienced than Obama), energy policy credentials, if any, not enough; Romney would have been better for sorely needed business economic credentials.

One man's view.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:20 AM

5,527 posts, read 8,815,352 times
Mccain - Talking

Obama - Talking

Paliln - Talking

Biden - Talking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or