Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:17 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I agree .. the child is 11. The parent was obviously looking for controversy and that's just vile.

At the very least, I'd have the kid turn the shirt inside out, I think a suspension is as bad as the t-shirt.
They asked the kid to turn it inside out, and he spouted an obviously fed to him line regarding his right to free speech.

He was suspended for disobedience, since he would not turn it inside out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
ignorant definition |Dictionary.com
Read a law book instead of cherry-picking the dictionary. Students do not have the same freedoms of speech in public schools that we have outside school. The courts have consistently upheld this, and the discretion is left up to administrators.
Read my posts before attacking me - I agree with what you just posted!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
BHO is a public figure, the normal rules of liable and slander don't apply to public figures. Had the shirt referenced BHO's family, then the question of slander would come in to play. He could have worn an American flag shirt with a circle and slash across the flag, would the school have a problem with a shirt protesting the US via a dissing of the flag?
Ah, thanks for the info re public figures. Dissing the flag - hmmm.

"Flag Code: 'The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.'"

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html, re autographing flags

(^ actually an interesting page)

Old 09-23-2008, 10:19 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
They asked the kid to turn it inside out, and he spouted an obviously fed to him line regarding his right to free speech.

He was suspended for disobedience, since he would not turn it inside out.
Well there you have it .. his parents should be so proud.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:19 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
You're saying they don't exist or they aren't?
I am saying they used to be disruptive. The shirts. I doubt they are now but I also am no longer in HS. I just act that way

Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 AM

It's LIBEL, and it does apply to public figures under certain circumstances:
Quote:
Public Figures

Under the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, as set forth by the U.S. Supreme Court in the 1964 Case, New York Times v Sullivan, where a public figure attempts to bring an action for defamation, the public figure must prove an additional element: That the statement was made with "actual malice". In translation, that means that the person making the statement knew the statement to be false, or issued the statement with reckless disregard as to its truth. For example, Ariel Sharon sued Time Magazine over allegations of his conduct relating to the massacres at the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps. Although the jury concluded that the Time story included false allegations, they found that Time had not acted with "actual malice" and did not award any damages.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 AM

745 posts, read 1,297,085 times
Or try this one, definition 1, seems appropriate during election season.
opinion definition |Dictionary.com

Old 09-23-2008, 10:21 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,424 times
I can see where that shirt in particular would be disruptive. It wasn't simply a Nobama shirt or anyting of the sort.

I highly doubt any of you would be against the school if that shirt said Bush/McCain/Palin 'A terrorist's best friend on it'.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,585,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the kid came up with it by himself. Sounds like an idiot parent who said to himself "gee, the kids are supposed to show some patriotism at school- I think I'll send my kid to school with a political statement on his shirt. I realize that he probably has no clue what it means, but it'll be great!".
An 11 year old child certainly has a great deal of information at his/her access to be aware of politics and government. This boy was born in 1997 and the Internet was well into becoming mainstream. The children of today are "tech savvy" and "news savvy", IMO, it was Daxx's (Sounds like one of Sarah Palin's children!) idea to conceive and wear the shirt to school. He obviously had the blessing and support of his parents.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:24 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,588,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I am saying they used to be disruptive. The shirts. I doubt they are now but I also am no longer in HS. I just act that way
So when people are sensitized to stupid logos and sayings the hate is no longer valid? Can't have it both ways, be careful young grasshopper of what you want to censor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections