U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-24-2008, 01:48 PM

12,647 posts, read 8,797,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
There's really no need for Obama to go to Washington, a "present" vote won't do any good.
There are no Present Votes in the US Senate, just ask Senator McCain. During the last big vote he continued to campaign in Ohio and didn't show up....bet the Veterans really loved that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 01:49 PM

8,054 posts, read 12,874,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
From what I read on "USA Today" just now, it sounds like Obama is the one who called on McCain to do something.

McCain is acting like HE started it. HAHAHA

Obama to speak in 5 minutes.
Obama can speak in two minutes for all I care.

Here's what the AP says;

Quote:
Republican presidential nominee John McCain said he was returning to Washington and was asking Democratic rival Barack Obama to agree to delay their first debate, scheduled for Friday, to deal with the meltdown that has engulfed the political race as well as Congress less than six weeks before Election Day. Obama's spokesman said the two campaigns were working on a joint statement.

1,836 posts, read 1,987,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
The 'poll' thread that was started a couple days ago saying that Democrat Leaders and the Media are hyping the bad news about the economy is hilarious when you read it after McCain announcement.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...you-think.html

When you read all the 'the economy is just fine - the libs are just making it sound worse for polical gains' and then look at what McCain did - ROFL
Yeah, that poll thread was a moronic attempt to downplay our fundamentally strong economy!

McCain is so frazzled by what is going on. It can't be healthy for someone his age

744 posts, read 815,057 times
All politics and intentions aside, this really seems to hog-tie McCain. What does it mean to suspend the campaign? If he just cancelled events and returned to Washington he could have avoided making any statement at all. It may be an attempt to get out of a debate but I personally doubt that. I just can't figure out how he can spin this.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:50 PM

2,868 posts, read 6,058,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
The 'poll' thread that was started a couple days ago saying that Democrat Leaders and the Media are hyping the bad news about the economy is hilarious when you read it after McCain announcement.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...you-think.html

When you read all the 'the economy is just fine - the libs are just making it sound worse for polical gains' and then look at what McCain did - ROFL

Great point...

Old 09-24-2008, 01:51 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,635,157 times
McCain seeks to delay debate to focus on economy - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080924/ap_on_el_pr/mccain - broken link)

"McCain said he had spoken to President Bush and asked him to convene a leadership meeting in Washington that would include him and Obama."

"It has become clear that no consensus has developed to support the administration's proposal," McCain said. "I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time."

Okay. Obama called McCain this morning. They both know the bailout is going down the crapper and that if something isn't done, the economy will go right down with it. McCain can get Bush on the phone and he does. Because nobody trusts or likes Bush as far as they can throw him, but 40% of the country likes McCain and 40% of the country likes Obama.

If Obama and McCain agree on something, the country will back it. And that is what the country and the world needs right now-- for America to pick a plan and run with it. Time is running out.

This makes sense to me. It passes the gut check. I don't care whose idea it was. Putting the current economic meltdown ahead of the Lipstick/Muslim campaigning is the right thing to do.

If they pull this off, I'll be proud of all three of them. (Yes, even Bush.)

Old 09-24-2008, 01:52 PM

8,436 posts, read 6,844,989 times
Good for McCain to be the one to step up and do what's right. He's asked Obama to join him and postpone the debate until after both houses of have reached a solution. Obama really has no choice but to suspend campaigning; he'll look kind of foolish if he continues to campaign and is standing alone at the podium.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:54 PM

8,436 posts, read 6,844,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
All politics and intentions aside, this really seems to hog-tie McCain. What does it mean to suspend the campaign? If he just cancelled events and returned to Washington he could have avoided making any statement at all. It may be an attempt to get out of a debate but I personally doubt that. I just can't figure out how he can spin this.
I don't think he wants to get out of debating Obama. I really doubt McCain is worried about that; he can hold his own against Obama just fine and in fact I think the polls will change again in McCain's favor after the debates. But right now it's time to take care of business.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:55 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,987,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
he'll look kind of foolish if he continues to campaign and is standing alone at the podium.
McCain already looks foolish.

a) he said the economy was strong not too long ago;
b) he admitted he doesnt know enough about economics yet he is using this as an excuse to cancel a debate. what use is he in washington if he doesnt know much about economics? he should go, and VOTE.
c) why can't he go vote AND have a debate? is he unable to multi-task?

Old 09-24-2008, 01:55 PM

11,358 posts, read 7,722,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Good for McCain to be the one to step up and do what's right. He's asked Obama to join him and postpone the debate until after both houses of have reached a solution. Obama really has no choice but to suspend campaigning; he'll look kind of foolish if he continues to campaign and is standing alone at the podium.
He can only do one thing at a time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections