U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What do you think?
This is a serious issue, and needs to be taken care of immediately by our candidates, debates aren't important now. 44 54.32%
No, I would rather see debates. Who cares about the economy. 37 45.68%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 06:36 AM

3 posts, read 7,699 times

Advertisements

Talk about bull -- McCain to fix economy? Here he is
on his own qualifications (quote from piece months ago in Boston Globe):

"I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated," McCain told the Wall Street Journal in late November.

In December he said, "The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should," as the Globe reported on its "Political Intelligence" blog at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 06:49 AM

3,353 posts, read 1,674,652 times
Your poll choices are biased so I'm not doing the poll.

Yes they should debate, their role now is to talk to the American people about their plans and their thoughts. Both are useless for getting anything done regards to this bailout, there is nothing for them to do. It's too big.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:55 AM

4,714 posts, read 4,924,804 times
I think your poll should be:

Would people rather see gum-chewing or walking?

I think John McCain can manage to show up to couple meetings, not add any input (like what he has done so far) AND go to a 90 minute debate tonight. Call me crazy.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:03 AM

12,375 posts, read 8,205,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I think your poll should be:

Would people rather see gum-chewing or walking?

I think John McCain can manage to show up to couple meetings, not add any input (like what he has done so far) AND go to a 90 minute debate tonight. Call me crazy.

f you think that is all that is involved then i am calling you crazy, but nothing personal! if you pay taxes you better be worried about this bailout bill over everything else! this is more than 10,000 dollars just to start for every single american. it has stalled so we need to keep the pressure up to stop this bill, both republicans and democrats. i don't understand why the democrats and president bush want the bailout bill passed in such a hurry without taking time to analyze other options.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:07 AM

27,234 posts, read 20,934,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
f you think that is all that is involved then i am calling you crazy, but nothing personal! if you pay taxes you better be worried about this bailout bill over everything else! this is more than 10,000 dollars just to start for every single american. it has stalled so we need to keep the pressure up to stop this bill, both republicans and democrats. i don't understand why the democrats and president bush want the bailout bill passed in such a hurry without taking time to analyze other options.

There is only 117 million tax payers.....try closer to $30,000

Old 09-26-2008, 07:21 AM

4,714 posts, read 4,924,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
That was my point. John McCain is grandstanding - not actually doing anything to help. All he has actually done so far is go to a couple of meetings and not say anything. This is leadership?

Your $10,000 number is disingenuous. Remember the bailout money goes toward actually buying (albeit not-so-great) assets. There will be return on the money. The details of the bill (which john McCain has had little-to-no input on) will help to determine how much money we can get back.

The last time we were in this situation, it took years for the government ot invest into the economy and we had the Great Depression. There are very,very few people who believe this will not happen again if no action is taken, and taken soon.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:27 AM

645 posts, read 564,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
John McCain wants to immediately tackle this case on what will be a fallen economy if not fixed. Democrats on here it seems would rather see "yes or no" debates than see our presidential candidates take action rather than talking.
So if they have the debate the economy will fail? And if they set it aside and do it next week instead of the VP debate then the economy will be okay?

Jim, this is illogical.

I think that if the debates go on then JOHN McCAIN'S CAMPAIGN WILL FAIL?

Old 09-26-2008, 07:41 AM

1,833 posts, read 4,415,418 times
Seems to me Obama said he'd debate John McCain "any time, any place, any where" and McCain offerd him 10 town hall debates, McCain offered to either fly him to them ... Obama chickened out and wouldn't do it. Now all of the sudden Obama wants to debate, regardless of the fact he should be doing his job which is being a Senator first and a canidate second. The man is a joke.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,212,239 times
This is the most rediculous poll I have ever seen

Thanks for the early morning laugh.

Seriously though ... shouldn't there be a third option such as, "I believe that the debate can happen and the economy will not crash w/ John McCain being away from Washington for a couple of hours - as we have numerous other senators (many who are playing much more important committee roles than McCain or Obama is in this) and John McCain is not our president yet or anything".

Old 09-26-2008, 08:21 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,732,971 times
What a stupid poll. False dichotomy much OP? How bout fix the economy and appear at the debate. He is not that important, and is certainly not instrumental at fixing anything in the economy. A good start may be to let go the majority of lobbyist campaigners in the the 'straight talk express' that contributed to this crisis though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections