Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,326,110 times

Advertisements

There's a good election video at this link: CatholicVote.com

This video is not clear about who to vote for, but it is very clear, who not to vote for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 01:47 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
That video was produced by a pro-Republican group. It is not officially sanctioned by the Church & merely represents the feelings of the Fedelis Law Group [whatever that is?].

In LA nearly all the politicians are Catholic & are Democratic [the largest archdiocese in America]. Catholics instinctively vote Democratic fully understanding that the abortion issue is important along with all the other issues [ie death penalty\ war\ immigrant rights\ human dignity\ the poor].

Old 09-25-2008, 03:38 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
who cares anyway.. most catholics I know only go to church on easter and xmas... out of tradition rather than belief...
the church kind of lost moral footing with the folks when they started touching the kids inappropriately

Old 09-25-2008, 03:55 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
In LA nearly all the politicians are Catholic & are Democratic [the largest archdiocese in America]. Catholics instinctively vote Democratic fully understanding that the abortion issue is important along with all the other issues [ie death penalty\ war\ illegal immigration\ human dignity\ the poor].
The abortion issue takes precedence over all other issues with respect to Catholic teaching and social justice and where a candidate positions themself. If you think the abortion issue is just one issue amongst many you don't understand the Church's teachings or doctrine.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,327,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
who cares anyway.. most catholics I know only go to church on easter and xmas... out of tradition rather than belief...
the church kind of lost moral footing with the folks when they started touching the kids inappropriately
You got that right. My husband is Catholic but has not set foot in the church since he burried his dad in 2001 due to the sex abuse scandal. He will never go back to the Catholic church and worships at my church. However, even when he went to church he has never listened to the church to tell him whom to vote for-my husband is pro-choice and no amount of sermons is going to change that. It is pretty bad when a church is more concerned about protecting illegal aliens and taking away a woman's right to chose than about little children who were molested by pedophile priests.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:02 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,950,197 times
Funny, but you can't brush all folks with the same brush.
I am a Catholic, by choice, not by birth.
I attend Mass weekly - if not more - and I'm very involved in my Church.

I think the pettiness of some of the remarks on this thread are laughable considering how hypocritical some other "Christian" groups are within our nation, but I digress.

As a devout Catholic I will vote (in case you have not guessed) for Obama. I would never vote for McCain. There is more to being 'pro-Life' than being 'anti-abortion.' I actually care about ALL life, even after it's born - unlike most of the Religious Right. McCain may be anti-abortion - but he is FAR from Pro-life.

I'm PROUD to be part of CATHOLICS FOR OBAMA.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:02 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
The abortion issue takes precedence over all other issues with respect to Catholic teaching and social justice and where a candidate positions themself. If you think the abortion issue is just one issue amongst many you don't understand the Church's teachings or doctrine.
No it doesn't. It really depends on the Priest who is running the parish. Our Priest never misses a Sunday to rail on poverty and violence (war mainly).

The Catholic Church is MASSIVE and has more members than any other religion in the U.S. It's not possible or even plausible to think that Catholics all believe like catholicvote.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:06 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,950,197 times
One local Pastor (not my Parish, but one I do some work with) recently wrote an eloquent piece on why NONE of the candidates really espouse Catholic views. My pastor is behind Obama, while he does not agree with everything he says, he does not agree with everything ANYONE says (neither do I). He does feel that Obama holds our beleifs overall more than McCain and that abortion is not the ONLY issue to vote on. So I think those who are not Catholic need to not speak for Catholics.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:23 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post

I'm PROUD to be part of CATHOLICS FOR OBAMA.

Amen to that!

I'm also a catholic and I'm pro-life, but find it VERY close minded to look at abortion as the only issue. If you do, you're ignoring the lives that may be taken as a result of an economic depression, a war being improperly handled, it just seems blind to me. Besides, abortion rates went down during our last democratic president, and many attribute that to the fact that democrats teach the idea of birth control rather than just abstinence, and while abstinence may work for some die-hard christians, it isn't applicable to everyone.

OBAMA '08

Old 09-25-2008, 07:29 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times
Catholics can think for themselves. I was raised Catholic and my parents are both practicing. They are both voting for Obama because he cares about poverty, social justice and peace.

Denying gays and women their rights is lower on the scale of priorites for Catholics than many other "Christian" sects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections