Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:26 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times

Advertisements

You mean the Republicans did not have 8 years to fix the problem Clinton created? McCain and Bush did not change that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 07:27 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
We couldn't do anything in those years, always too busy trying to bail the Clinton's out of their personal messes.

How come no one ever complains about the money we wasted on them in legal fees, hours, etc.?

Talk about blinders??

How come the Uptighty-Righties don't complain about the $$$ wasted sending the adulterer Gingrich on a witch-hunt for an adulterer?

Oh, sorry, I forgot, fiscal responsibility isn't in their playbook

Old 09-25-2008, 07:31 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
No I don't, but in 1994 the Republicans became the majority party in both the House and the Senate. This continued through Clinton's administration and into W's.
Actually, Bill Clinton repealed a part of the Glass-Stegall Act which FDR put into effect as part of the New Deal which was legislation that separated commercial and investment banking.

Clinton not only repealed the act Roosevelt had put in place to curb those practices, but was persuaded to make this change by lobbyist from Citigroup.

This New York Times article from 2007 points out the risks that were being taken and specifically sites the deregulation -- that took place in 1999.
The title is "Goldman Runs Risks, Reaps Rewards"....

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/bu...ss&oref=slogin

It was interesting to see Clinton's body language when asked specifically about this in the interview.
It was a telling moment.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The Republican motto since Ronald Raygun taught them about Hollywood, has been to privatize gains, socialize debt and never tax what you can borrow. He also taught the Republicans that appearance is far more important than policy in winning elections. Even Bill Clinton realized that as he sold Republican policies while appearing to be a Democrat.

The Dems are likely to loose this election if they continue to stress policy over appearance. McCain is the HERO that will save us from the Evil World while Obama is just talking about how to solve real problems instead of appearing as superman.

"Sell the sizzle, not the meat."

Old 09-25-2008, 07:37 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
I'd really like to research that. Do you happen to know the name (and number) of the bill in question?
Bush in 2003 started calling for reforms.

McCain in 2005.

The dems have blocked it consistently.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:39 AM

Default sell the sizzle, not the meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Dems are likely to loose this election if they continue to stress policy over appearance. McCain is the HERO that will save us from the Evil World while Obama is just talking about how to solve real problems instead of appearing as superman.

"Sell the sizzle, not the meat."
Sad.. the American public is so brainwashed by marketing that they don't look at the reality anymore.

I don't want to be sold. I want to look at facts.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:39 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
You mean the Republicans did not have 8 years to fix the problem Clinton created? McCain and Bush did not change that???
They tried. The Democrats blocked it.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/5369482-post35.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/5351746-post1.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/5398627-post28.html

What Sununu has to say...

“I introduced legislation to reign in these mortgage giants over five years ago, but was fought every step of the way by their executives, lobbyists, and liberals like Chuck Schumer who stood in the way of a tough bill. Fannie and Freddie were allowed to grow too quickly and for too long without the strong oversight required of such government chartered firms."

SUNUNU STATEMENT ON UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT TAKEOVER OF FANNIE MAE AND FREDDIE MAC | Politicker NH (http://www.politickernh.com/brianlawson/3417/sununu-statement-united-states-government-takeover-fannie-mae-and-freddie-mac - broken link)

Old 09-25-2008, 07:40 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Our current mess probably came from people getting loans that were not responsible enough to pay for them, but the governments mess started with the first time an unnecessary item was purchased on credit by our government. These members of congress remind me of my children when they were smaller and we went shopping. I would tell them that we cannot afford to buy something because I didn't have the money. My children would say, "You can write a check." Well one should not go around writing checks when there is no money in the bank. And you don't go charging for unnecessary things. And you don't give money to people you don't have. I would have been bankrupt years ago if I had lived like this.

Now what are all those nations we have helped for years doing to help us?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Our current mess probably came from people getting loans that were not responsible enough to pay for them, but the governments mess started with the first time an unnecessary item was purchased on credit by our government. These members of congress remind me of my children when they were smaller and we went shopping. I would tell them that we cannot afford to buy something because I didn't have the money. My children would say, "You can write a check." Well one should not go around writing checks when there is no money in the bank. And you don't go charging for unnecessary things. And you don't give money to people you don't have. I would have been bankrupt years ago if I had lived like this.
Yes. But, it couldn't have happened if certain laws had not been repealed.

The specific act that Clinton repealed was put into effect to protect citizens from the greed of bankers....

Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Yes. But, it couldn't have happened if certain laws had not been repealed.

The specific act that Clinton repealed was put into effect to protect citizens from banking greed.... keeping them from being involved in investments.
And it was also a way to allow more poor, low-income, and people with bad credit to get mortgages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections