Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:46 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Bush in 2003 started calling for reforms.

McCain in 2005.

The dems have blocked it consistently.
How did the Dems block it when the Republicans controlled Congress? Inquiring minds want to know. I have asked you this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 07:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I'd really like to research that. Do you happen to know the name (and number) of the bill in question?
This is it:
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Bush in 2003 started calling for reforms.

McCain in 2005.

The dems have blocked it consistently.

So the Republican controlled Congress in '03 allowed the Dems to block reform?

Not too functional, are they?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
This crisis was never solely a Republican crisis or Democratic crisis. They both participated to various extents.

But it is completely a conservative crisis. Bill Clinton was pretty conservative, fiscally, and that was the part of him that we should blame.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
How did the Dems block it when the Republicans controlled Congress? Inquiring minds want to know. I have asked you this before.

Mystical Incantations

Old 09-25-2008, 07:49 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
The same way the republicans have been able to block legislation when the dems are in control. When the senate is close, the minority party has the most leverage.

I would have thought that fact obvious.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
The same way the republicans have been able to block legislation when the dems are in control. When the senate is close, the minority party has the most leverage.

I would have thought that fact obvious.

Uh, it's a little different when the POTUS and Congress are of the same party than when they're not.

Welcome to BushWorld, up is down, hot is cold, and the President's confused

Old 09-25-2008, 07:53 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
So all these freebies handed out to people for years was done by the conservatives? And they are wanting to doctor this bill to hand out even more freebies that we cannot afford. No, I believe that is the Democrats. We are a nation of irresponsible children.

Greed of the poor and the rich are bankrupting our nation.

See, I can run for president. I know how to tell you what the problem is. A good president is one that is looking for the solution, not the one blaming it on everybody else.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:56 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
That's been answered here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstorm Patriot View Post
What is so disturbing to me is the lack of understanding of both history and how our government works displayed by many folks here. S.190 was introduced in the 109th Congress. During the first six years of the Bush administration the Democrats routinely blocked legislation from coming to the floor for votes by using the filibuster. At one point there was a highly publicized showdown between the parties over the refusal to allow Bush appointed judges from getting a floor vote for confirmation. The rules of the Senate also apply to committees. In other words it is possible for a bill to be filibustered in committee as well as on the senate floor itself.

S.190 is one of the bills that was filibustered by the Democrats in committee in 2005. That means that it needed 60% support to get out of committee for a floor vote. During the 109th Congress the members of the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs were:

Democrats:
• Paul S. Sarbanes (Md.), Ranking Member
• Christopher Dodd (Conn.)
• Tim Johnson (S.D.)
• Jack Reed (R.I.)
• Chuck Schumer (N.Y.)
• Evan Bayh (Ind.)
• Thomas R. Carper (Del.)
• Debbie Stabenow (Mich.)
• Robert Menendez (N.J.)

Republicans:
• Richard Shelby (Ala.), Chairman
• Robert Bennett (Utah)
• Wayne Allard (Colo.)
• Mike Enzi (Wyo.)
• Chuck Hagel (Neb.)
• Rick Santorum (Pa.)
• Jim Bunning (Ky.)
• Mike Crapo (Idaho)
• John E. Sununu (N.H.)
• Elizabeth Dole (N.C.)
• Mel Martinez (Fla.)

As you can see there are 20 members on the committee. There were eleven Republicans and nine Democrats at the time. Since the vote was strictly along party lines they could not generate the 12 votes required for the bill to pass out of committee. One of the Democrats would have had to break ranks and none did.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
So all these freebies handed out to people for years was done by the conservatives? And they are wanting to doctor this bill to hand out even more freebies that we cannot afford. No, I believe that is the Democrats. We are a nation of irresponsible children.

Greed of the poor and the rich are bankrupting our nation.

So you're telling us the NeoConfused party line is government should exist only to aid the corporations that buy it? And the people should just lie down and die?

Marie Antoinette would be proud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections