Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 01:26 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

here they are.

McCain, Obama list their bailout provisions | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | National Politics (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/politics/national/stories/DN-bailoutbox_25pol.ART.State.Edition2.268535b.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 01:34 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Good post.

These appear to be the points where there is some difference:

JOHN McCAIN

• Track who receives money and give the public access to those transactions, including on the Internet.

• Ban unrelated measures, or earmarks, attached to the legislation.

• Provide a way for taxpayers to recover the money.

BARACK OBAMA

• Return any profits made by the government; institute a new fee on financial services to repay the government.

• Provide assistance to help to families struggling to stay in their homes.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:38 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post

BARACK OBAMA

• Return any profits made by the government; institute a new fee on financial services to repay the government.

• Provide assistance to help to families struggling to stay in their homes.
Not that I am against it, but I find it funny that Obama is dressing up a tax as "a new fee" now. Call it what you will Mr. Tax Man.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:39 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Not that I am against it, but I find it funny that Obama is dressing up a tax as "a new fee" now. Call it what you will Mr. Tax Man.
sorta like putting lipstick on a....oh never mind.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, that was almost too easy, huh?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Nice!

Old 09-25-2008, 01:42 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,429 times
Quote:
here they are.

McCain, Obama list their bailout provisions | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | National Politics (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/politics/national/stories/DN-bailoutbox_25pol.ART.State.Edition2.268535b.html - broken link)
Looks like they agree on most. They only thing I see is the assistance to families struggling to stay in their homes. That one has me uneasy. Wat does that mean one wonders? I don't want to bail out people who should not have even received a loan, or make their payments for them, or give them a lower fixed loan rate than anyone else can get. I'm all for helping as long as they don't get special treatment that other people can't get.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Looks like they agree on most. They only thing I see is the assistance to families struggling to stay in their homes. That one has me uneasy. Wat does that mean one wonders? I don't want to bail out people who should not have even received a loan, or make their payments for them, or give them a lower fixed loan rate than anyone else can get. I'm all for helping as long as they don't get special treatment that other people can't get.
I say get them into low cost apartment rentals, and get those houses back on the market. Freezing mortgage rates is nothing more than price fixing which will create other bubbles elsewhere waiting to burst.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
That one is a little concerning. I would like to know what he means by that.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:50 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Who is going to determine what is paid for these loans? Nothing is mentioned about that.

I sure hope the government isn't going to give these shyster financial institutions full value! Maybe they should have a lender "emminent domain" policy where they go in and force these big lenders to accept pennies on the dollar, and then resell the foreclosed homes to the public for whatever fair value they can get.

Otherwise, the $700 Billion is going to turn into $1 Trillion pretty quickly.

And I like this part of McCain's plan:

JOHN McCAIN

• Track who receives money and give the public access to those transactions, including on the Internet.

Is he going to have an assistant do that for him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections