Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:55 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times

Advertisements

To answer the original question I think they will both lose support, fom all of us that think the Constitution needs help, that the bailout is a disaster waiting to happen, that the war is wrong and bad for America, and that solar and wind power offers the hope we need.

Ralph think he draws more from McCain...

YouTube - Ron Paul and Ralph Nader on CNN 9/10/08

I think it would be great if we can turn it into an upset and he gets grassroot support and wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 06:28 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Default Vote third party

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Nader is against nuclear energy, which is something I think we, especially in NC, should be looking at more of. We have too many lakes that need larger housing developments.
Here are some thoughts about Nuclear energy. The promise is all this energy, here is the reality. every nuke built has experienced 100% cost over runs so the plant expected to cost $1B cost 2... now they cost $10B. It takes 10 years to bring a plant on-line which I think is the biggest reason for the over runs. do wages stay static for 10 years, costs of materials... of course not. So you are looking at probably upwards of $20B for a plant that will come around in 2018 or later. I lived in Kansas City and the power company ... Kansas City Power and Light built a Nuke in Wolf Creek. again with the promise of abundant energy. what we got was a promise of 400% increases to our electric bills...It was horrible. imagine your elec bill doubling ... and doubling again...

Now looking at the helix wind generator for $16,000 you can install one on your home. I expect if we bought them by the thousands we would find that price drop tremendously. Lets keep the today price. if you take the $20B you can purchase wind generators for 1,250,000,000 homes. A nuke has the capacity of powering 100,000 homes So if you buy wind generators you can make 12 times the number of homes independent from the power company than a nuke can service.

say the cost over run doesnt happen. wages and supplies remain stable for 10 years and it only costs 10B, then you only cover 625,000 homes, still 6 times more than the nuke.

Now you have the environmental issue - no part of the country is safe from earthquakes, while rare in some areas they can and do occur. do you want the freak earthquake to happen to a plant near your home , or upwind of it? The fallout is devistating should a disaster happen. You say but they are safe with many safe guards... that is mostly true, but there have been 2, one in Russia, One at Three Mile Island here in this country. I lived through that disaster and it was scary. you had companies that didnt want to admit radiation leaked... they outright lied about it. In the light of corporate greed and responsability do you trust them any more today?

I understand the initial attraction but it is mostly because of promotions from General Electric and Westinghouse that want to sell these poor investments... oh BTW... they only have a life time of 40 years. Did we talk about storage of the waste? This material of which tons are generated need to be securely stored for 250,000 years to be safe our country is 232 years old. Christianity is about 2000 years old,humans started using tools 50,000 years ago. humans have been around about 250,000 years.
Do you think we can control where we plant something? The great pryamid was totally covered in less than 4000 years and it is one massive structure. The stones you see it made of come up to my shoulders ( I was there).
the by products of wind generators.. none, the long term health issues..none, energy independence can be had... which isnt a good incentive for companies that wnat you dependent.
There is a reason Nader is against nukes... they make no sense. and if you get one you will regret what it does to your power bills. which would you prefer... no bill or 4 times your bill? Are you still a fan of nuclear power? if so you must work for a power company GE or Westinghouse. they are the only ones it benefits.

There is an option and it is here today, no waiting for 10 years

YouTube - Helix Wind Turbine

Nader is right. Vote third party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections