Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:29 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,387 times

Advertisements

Inquiring minds want to know.

COURIC: You recently said three times that you would never, quote, "second guess Israel if that country decided to attack Iran." Why not?

PALIN: We shouldn't second guess Israel's security efforts because we cannot ever afford to send a message that we would allow a second Holocaust, for one. Israel has got to have the opportunity and the ability to protect itself. They are our closest ally in the Mideast. We need them. They need us. And we shouldn't second guess their efforts.

COURIC: You don't think the United States is within its rights to express its position to Israel? And if that means second-guessing or discussing an option?

PALIN: No, also ... we need to express our rights and our concerns and...

COURIC: But you said never second guess them.

PALIN: We don't have to second-guess what their efforts would be if they believe ... that it is in their country and their allies, including us, all of our best interests to fight against a regime, especially Iran, who would seek to wipe them off the face of the earth. It is obvious to me who the good guys are in this one and who the bad guys are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,830 times
Quote:
It is obvious to me who the good guys are in this one and who the bad guys are...
Do they wear hats too?

Old 09-25-2008, 09:58 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,902 times
As far as I'm concerned Israel is free to do whatever she wants to do to her enemies and I'll support it. 100% down the line. That little foray in to southern Lebanon last summer....Israel was too timid in my opinion.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:15 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
Inquiring minds want to know.
With all due respect, the issue of Israel is not a partisan one, as both Democrats and Republicans will never truly question Israel or her actions. One look at the past 25 years in the UN to look at how the US voted compared to all other of the worlds nations and one common theme remains, "The US and Israel", period, end of discussion and if you question that with any force, you're antisemitic. (according to the State Dept. working definition of antisemitism)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
As far as I'm concerned Israel is free to do whatever she wants to do to her enemies and I'll support it. 100% down the line. That little foray in to southern Lebanon last summer....Israel was too timid in my opinion.
I'm all in favor of letting Israel do as she pleases as well as Israel has every right to its own self determination. However, if they bite off more than they can chew or pick a fight with a bigger dog, then I say the buzzards have to eat too. They like everyone else in the world need to learn their limits and with greater financial difficulties at home, Israel has to understand when push comes to shove, the US might not always be capable of propping up its welfare state.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:22 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I'm all in favor of letting Israel do as she pleases as well as Israel has every right to its own self determination. However, if they bite off more than they can chew or pick a fight with a bigger dog, then I say the buzzards have to eat too. They like everyone else in the world need to learn their limits and with greater financial difficulties at home, Israel has to understand when push comes to shove, the US might not always be capable of propping up its welfare state.
Exactly. I'm so far past tired of our stance on Israel that its not funny. What I'd like every candidate to answer when they are talking about cutting spending is whether or not they are considering cutting of Israels, monetarily.

Even as I want it asked, I know the answer. Our entire economy can go belly up, we can be in the middle of another Great Depression and we will still give them everything they ask for. If they want to fight with Iran, let them have at it but we should not go riding into save their butts if they do.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Exactly. I'm so far past tired of our stance on Israel that its not funny. What I'd like every candidate to answer when they are talking about cutting spending is whether or not they are considering cutting of Israels, monetarily.

Even as I want it asked, I know the answer. Our entire economy can go belly up, we can be in the middle of another Great Depression and we will still give them everything they ask for. If they want to fight with Iran, let them have at it but we should not go riding into save their butts if they do.
Just so you cut off Egypt and Jordan too, folks seem to forget to include this in the equation.

http://www.swivel.com/data_sets/show/1002196

Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
With all due respect, the issue of Israel is not a partisan one, as both Democrats and Republicans will never truly question Israel or her actions. One look at the past 25 years in the UN to look at how the US voted compared to all other of the worlds nations and one common theme remains, "The US and Israel", period, end of discussion and if you question that with any force, you're antisemitic. (according to the State Dept. working definition of antisemitism)
Depends how you define "force", at some level it may apply (from the State Dept website):

In its 2004 report on anti-Semitism, the European Monitoring Centre on Racism and Xenophobia (EUMC) called attention to the lack of a common definition of anti-Semitism and sought to obtain one. As a result, a working definition was written collaboratively by a small group of non-governmental organizations (NGOs). In light of the longstanding commitment of the U.S. to free speech and other individual freedoms as demonstrated within our Constitution, the Office of the Special Envoy believes that this definition provides an adequate initial guide by which anti-Semitism can eventually both be defined and combated, and therefore presents this "working definition" as a starting point in the fight against anti-Semitism.1

Working definition: "Anti-[S]emitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of anti[-S]emitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities."

In addition, such manifestations could also target the state of Israel, conceived as a Jewish collectivity. Anti-Semitism frequently charges Jews with conspiring to harm humanity, and it is often used to blame Jews for "why things go wrong." It is expressed in speech, writing, visual forms and action, and employs sinister stereotypes and negative character traits.

“Working Definition” of Anti-Semitism (http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/56589.htm - broken link)

Old 09-25-2008, 10:39 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
What Say You Republicats; The US Has No Right To Second Guess Israel?
I don't see a problem with her answer. What's your problem with it?

Didn't I just read something about Israel getting the OK from bush and bush said no.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Just so you cut off Egypt and Jordan too, folks seem to forget to include this in the equation.

US Aid by Country - Swivel
I would, yes.

I'm don't advocate reverting to isolationism but if we are going to give welfare I would at least prefer it go to American's. Yes, yes, I know we have welfare in this country and its far more complicated then that but I'd still like to cut it all off.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:42 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

US Aid by Country - Swivel

I know that it is impossible, but I am ready to become isolationist and cut off everyone. We have more problems at home than we can handle. But I realize that our economic system is tied to the whole world, and we are entangled in alliances with other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections