U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 04:19 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,395,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
I'm thrilled at all the new registrations, but all you young Obama supporters out there need to actually vote. Being registered is not enough. It's your future and a possible McCain/Palin future is very very scary to me(and I'm 58) You guys have a whole lifetime ahead of you! Get all your friends to the polls and help save this country. PLEASE don't fall back on the old "oh my vote doesn't matter" routine. It DOES matter, especially this time!
An Obama/Biden future is very very scary to me (and I'm 20), so please don't vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 04:21 PM

86,894 posts, read 102,341,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
An Obama/Biden future is very very scary to me (and I'm 20), so please don't vote.
What? Who are you to tell someone not to vote?

Old 10-19-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What? Who are you to tell someone not to vote?
I have just as much of a right as someone telling people to vote for a particular candidate...

Old 10-19-2008, 04:25 PM

I"m sorry, I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone not to vote. You can try to change somene's mind, but don't tell them not to vote. You need to take a few government courses there at Temple.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:32 PM

81 posts, read 92,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
Young voters, solidly behind Obama, registering in droves

That's because we are smarter.And cooler .
I remember the good old days when I was young and thought that I was so smart. Now I realize that I wasn't nearly as smart as I thought.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I"m sorry, I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone not to vote. You can try to change somene's mind, but don't tell them not to vote. You need to take a few government courses there at Temple.
I dont need you to tell me what classes to take, thanks.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:26 PM

OK, I aplogize for saying you need to take a governmnet course, but you should definitely NOT tell people not to vote. That is something that is sacred to Americans. Even John McCain said people should not be afraid of Barack Obama (after he let his pit-bull whip everyone up into a frenzy about his 'palling' with a terrorist).

Old 10-19-2008, 05:32 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,468,425 times
Quote:
Sure they do or is it the only person that has free speech rights are the ones that agree with you?

Old 10-19-2008, 05:33 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,468,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPatriot View Post
I remember the good old days when I was young and thought that I was so smart. Now I realize that I wasn't nearly as smart as I thought.
Or like the rest of us as young!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:10 PM

81 posts, read 92,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
alright. I guess I've got to defend the youth now.

I am voting for Obama for the following reasons. I'll keep McCain out of it if you wish.

Healthcare: Obama has a plan to fix the broken healthcare system here in America. Currently I believe it is over 40 million people who do no have health care coverage. Under an Obama administartion, he would make healthcare more affordable, but not free, and mandate coverage for minors. as a result, people do have to work to afford coverage, so it's not a handout, but does help make it easier to reach.
Socialized health care is not my idea of a solution to the problem. It will increase the taxes on the working people. I suspect that you have not paid any taxes.

Quote:
War in Iraq: Obama has said from day one that the war was a mistake, and he was right. Once the war was underway, he said we should pull out and redeploy into Afghanistan and Pakistan to fight Al Quidea rather than "stabalize" a country that can afford to stabalize itself. Both Bush and leaders in Iraq have agreed with this plan.
Defeat in Iraq IMO is not the appropriate action. Bringing our troops home with their heads held high and the situation in Iraq stabilized would be best for our country and Iraq.

Quote:
Foreign Policy: Obama beleives in words first, and war if nessessary. As a result he's less of the cowboy that we have now, and this is likely the reason he is so preferred world-wide. Obama will speak not only to our allies but our enemies as well. Talking has never hurt. Appeasing has. I have confidense that America will never work to appease our enemies, but trying to come to a ground of understading is not to be avoided.
obama has NO foriegn policy experience. Yes, he is preferred worldwide, especially by our enemies.

Quote:
Energy policy: Obama beleives in a policy of developing renewable sources of energy that will actually eliminate our dependancy on foreign oil. Drilling off our shores is not renewable, and can only sustain us for so long. As a result, I feel that Obama's plan is more of the right direction.
McCain also believes in developing all types of renewable sources of energy and also offshore drilling. Offshore drilling will help to reduce our dependance on foreign oil in the short term.

Quote:
These are the largest issues for me, and so that's why I've listed them here.
I'm 18. I live in Omaha, NE. Tell me I'm not bright. Say it again. I will take on a debate any day of the week!
Oh you are bright. Perhaps you can grow up to be like bho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or