Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 03:47 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times

Advertisements

we don't have to give up yet and the bill has not passed yet.

The House of Representatives is expected to debate and vote on the package on Monday but the Senate, which is breaking away on account of the Jewish holiday can attend to the package as early as Wednesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 03:53 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,296,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
we don't have to give up yet and the bill has not passed yet.

The House of Representatives is expected to debate and vote on the package on Monday but the Senate, which is breaking away on account of the Jewish holiday can attend to the package as early as Wednesday.
How much will it take to buy them out? A plate of lentils? A pound of sausage?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:39 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,081 times
Imagine how the race would be right now if it had been a Romney/Paul ticket.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:12 AM

16 posts, read 19,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Read this piece by Paul for a bit of education: Commentary: Bailouts will lead to rough economic ride - CNN.com

I do not agree with everything on his platform, but when it comes to matters such as these, the man is an absolute sage. What a shame he couldn't gain a greater national voice. He needs to be heard.

Thanks for the link!! I agree that Ron Paul is extremely good in matters of sound economics. I think it is an absolute shame as well that he was cast off by just about everyone in the media as being a total coot. He believes in upholding the constitution, but I suppose the media doesn't really care about that anymore.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:20 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Imagine how the race would be right now if it had been a Romney/Paul ticket.
Paul-Nader / Nader-Paul would be more interesting - would give the media and the 2-party establishment more red meat. Hannity may die of a stroke. FOX would probably run "specials" condeming these people.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:25 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Paul-Nader / Nader-Paul would be more interesting - would give the media and the 2-party establishment more red meat. Hannity may die of a stroke. FOX would probably run "specials" condeming these people.
I can't imagine Paul and Nader being able to stay in the same room for very long. While I respect both men for the principles, Nader of late has become far more angry and frustrated, and doesn't bother hiding it.

However, yes, Hannity would have a stroke right along with Chris Matthews. America missed a great opportunity in dismissing Paul, something I believe history will bear out.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:45 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,081 times
Amazing what a luke warm response in the hall when Paul put his policies forward about not spending abroad during the Debates, yet he got the best poll numbers by the public after the debate. He still lost but had the best ideas for America. Maybe if he had been 20 years younger, he would have been taken more seriously....pity.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:54 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,151,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Apologies for being nit-picky, but for at least the first half of his reign, Nero was an effective governor and he actually revalued the coinage. His downfall came in the second half when he ran foul of the military. Coinage debasement started in earnest a bit later, under Trajan with, you guessed it, attempts at military expansion, featuring an invasion of Mesopotamia.

His successor Hadrian, who officially acceded to power in Antioch, the first time an emperor acceded to power outside of Rome (parallel US military headquarters in Dubai, for example, not to mention corporates and wealthy citizens setting up headquarters in places like Hong Kong), withdrew and tried to consolidate.

In short, though not official, the traditional US republic is all but dead and buried, only a series of miracles could save it.
I know. It was a figure of speech. Maybe not the best choice.

Here's Ron Paul after the vote.

YouTube - Bailout Fails!

His suggestions for fixing this economy:

Quote:
1.) End the Bailouts - Congress must revoke the Federal Reserve’s authority to bail out failed businesses at your expense.

2.) Cut Taxes and Curb Regulation - If we really want to stimulate businesses and revive the market, we need to cut corporate and capital gains taxes, spurring investors to come back to the market and making it easier to attract new workers and clients. It is also time to end failed legislation like Sarbanes-Oxley, which has crippled capital markets, diminished our competitiveness, and greatly harmed small businesses.

3.) Reduce Spending - We must freeze all non-entitlement spending by the federal government at current levels and eliminate wasteful spending both domestically and in our trillion-dollar overseas budget. Our debt has to come down, and it won’t until we start living within our means.

4.) Reform the Monetary System - If we are to have long-term economic progress, we must end the system of printing money out of thin air. The current laws limiting the circulation of gold and silver-backed currency must be overturned. We can no longer base our money on the empty promises of bureaucrats that it is sound.
Ron Paul’s Campaign For Liberty | The Revolution Continues

Old 09-29-2008, 05:12 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,388 times
Ron Paul was the first candidate I ever donated money to the campaign of. I wish he was an option. McCain and Obama are both bad news for our country.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:33 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Ron Paul was the first candidate I ever donated money to the campaign of. I wish he was an option. McCain and Obama are both bad news for our country.
He wasn't the first one I ever gave money to but he is only one I continue to give money to. While I agree with you 100%, the link and statement above your posts shows that it is more than just the man, its an idea worth working towards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections