Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Disagree. It was not a fair question. Find me a clip on youtube and I will explain why. It was an ambush question about SOMEONE ELSE"S RECORD. Palin is not archivist for McCain. McCain should defend his own record.

And regardless of whether or not anyone agrees that it was a fair or unfair question, Palin should have answered "GO ASK McCain!!!!"
Wrong. She accepted the position as his running mate. It is her job to support him in this endeavor and part of that job includes providing reasons and examples that explain why the electorate should vote for him. As is obvious from her answer regarding Henry Kissinger's position on diplomacy - she didn't do her homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:09 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Umm...ani, surrogates have been on this hotseat the entire election cycle. Once Senator Obama's supporter got slammed the Press has made it a special project to pop these types of questions to anyone and everyone who claims to have any allegiance to a respective Party. If the selected VP Candidate doesn't have a firm grasp on where Senator McCain stands on the issues and his record how can they possibly present a uniform message to the constituents on the issues. They don't have to agree, buy good gracious they should know what they don't agree with and the record to boot.
Hey, Wal!!! I totally understand what you are saying. But this interview was supposed to be about Palin - not Palin as a surrogate for McCain.

Look - as far as Palin being an outstanding candidate - hell no! I don't think she represents the brightest and best and I find the choice odd, to say the least. But as a former newspaper reporter/editor . . . the question was an ambush, IMHO.

And from the PR side . . . I would have advised Palin that she should answer such questions w/ - HEY - I am not his archivist - ask him!!!! She screwed up w/ the way she answered it.

Yes, I agree. Ask me about what legislation I can cite that shows McCain is a "maverick" and indeed, I can point to several pieces off the top of my head - starting w/ the most recent - re: illegal immigration. But Palin was obviously caught off guard and she did not handle it well.

I am not trying to be an apologist for Palin . . . there were so many other good choices for GOP VP. . . male and female . . . starting w/ Romney, who could have outlined several pieces of legislation, I am sure. My problem is w/ Couric ambushing Palin - and w/ how Palin allowed herself to get sucked into answering a question that threw her off balance.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:09 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,297 times
Quote:
Disagree. It was not a fair question. Find me a clip on youtube and I will explain why. It was an ambush question about SOMEONE ELSE"S RECORD. Palin is not archivist for McCain. McCain should defend his own record.

And regardless of whether or not anyone agrees that it was a fair or unfair question, Palin should have answered "GO ASK McCain!!!!"
If she listened to McCain talk on the campaign trail (while standing right next to him) she would have been able to answer the question. Couric didn't ask for a detailed list with dates and times - she asked for one example. Palin is a lightweight cupcake.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
lol...Wouldn't that be great! Katie reporting the Governor got back to her....lol
Dear Katie:

Here's dat information I was s'posed to get ya (please see attach). If you have trouble opening it, I can send it to ya some other way.

Thanks, and let's get together for coffee some time.
Sarah Palin

Just the title of this thread made me laugh.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:13 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,157,105 times
Quote:

So you claim that the question was unfair and her answer could have been better, yet you still think she and McCain are the better candidate? That's just incredible.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
If she listened to McCain talk on the campaign trail (while standing right next to him) she would have been able to answer the question. Couric didn't ask for a detailed list with dates and times - she asked for one example. Palin is a lightweight cupcake.
Palin looked like a deer in headlights.

Look - I think Laura Bush has been the only person on the national scene who has been truthful and upfront about Palin. Palin does not have the type of experience that is going to lend itself to knowledge about such things as foreign policy. She has to learn all that.

And since she has been a GOV and not a Senator, legislation that has not affected her state has simply not been on her radar screen.

I am not defending Palin as being a good choice for VP nor am I saying she is even qualified for the position. I am just saying that Couric ambushed Palin w/ a question that was off-topic. The reason for the interview was to find out about PALIN'S stances on issues. Instead, it got totally side tracked w/ this one question.

Does Palin's inability to answer it prove she is unprepared? PROBABLY.

Did it make me feel uncomfortable for Palin? Yes. Why? B/c she thought she was going to be asked about HER OWN philosophy and political stances.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
So you claim that the question was unfair and her answer could have been better, yet you still think she and McCain are the better candidate? That's just incredible.
Geeeez, Paperhouse. I didn't say I thought Palin was the better candidate! I clearly stated there were probably hundreds of others I would prefer to see in the VP slot.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:18 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,297 times
Quote:
Palin looked like a deer in headlights.

Why? B/c she thought she was going to be asked about HER OWN philosophy and political stances.
Palin is the one that brought up John McCain. Couric was simply following up. That's what reporters do.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:21 AM

Let me clearly state: I am only critiquing how the situation was handled. I thought Katie's question was unfair and I thought Palin's answer just made her look even more UNPREPARED. I think Palin got flustered and gave a lousy answer. But Katie should have been focusing on Palin's beliefs.

Do any of you have any clearer picture of what Palin believes/espouses after that interview? My point is - all anyone is talking about is that Palin couldn't give examples about McCain's voting record.

The interview was supposed to give us more insight into Palin's political ideology. And it didn't!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:42 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Has she because she said she would on National TV...or is that for after the election?
I would not hold your breath waiting for her to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections