U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won the 1st Presidential Debate
McCain 124 32.04%
Obama 194 50.13%
It was a tie 69 17.83%
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:02 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,406,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
It sure seemed like a debate team at school. That's exactly what it reminded me of. The low point in this regard was when McCain started dropping foreign-policy terms in an attempt to make himself seem knowledgeable and experienced -- "glasnost," "perestroika" though he had a lot of trouble with "Ahmedinejad." For someone with his background, these should not have been words to stumble over, nor should he have needed the terms to show off. Seemed very amateurish to me.
I agree but I will tell you that I can barely say some of those Persian or Arab names. They are a booger, to say the least. But then, Obama was very rude and petulant throughout the whole debate. I really think that Obama did better than I thought he would but he really needs to stop being so over confident and stop interupting so much. he also needs to address McCain as Senator McCain and not by his first name. That was just plain disrepsectful, but I think that is whay he did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 11:19 PM

2,856 posts, read 9,934,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
[Obama] also needs to address McCain as Senator McCain and not by his first name. That was just plain disrepsectful, but I think that is whay he did it.
Eh, they're both Harvard lawyers, alma mater and all that jazz. They're also "beltway insiders," colleagues, etc., etc. "Good night, John. Good night, Barak." Reminds me of that Bugs Bunny cartoon with the sheep dog and coyote. By day and while on the clock, bitter enemies. But best of friends at lunch and when punching out for the day. Yanks but no spanks. They're pretty much alike as far as my representation goes (none from either), which is the reason I'm supporting the the third parties.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:24 PM

5,426 posts, read 6,398,898 times
Heh, there seems to be huge obama supporters here more than McCain..

Old 09-27-2008, 11:24 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,406,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Eh, they're both Harvard lawyers, alma mater and all that jazz. They're also "beltway insiders," colleagues, etc., etc. "Good night, John. Good Night Barak." Reminds me of that Bugs Bunny cartoon with the sheep dog and coyote. By day and while on the clock, bitter enemies. But best of friends at lunch and when punching out for the day. Yanks but no spanks. They're pretty much alike, which is the reason I'm supporting the the third parties.
I am also supporting a third party because of the fact that both parties are two sides of the same coin. But, Obama and McCain are not equals my any stretch. And, even if they were, Obama was completely disrepectful. You did not hear McCain call Obama by his first name and that would be because McCain showed him respect.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:29 PM

2,856 posts, read 9,934,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I am also supporting a third party because of the fact that both parties are two sides of the same coin. But, Obama and McCain are not equals my any stretch.
Ideologically there may be expressed differences, sure, but in terms of what it ultimately means for "Main Street's" representation, a vote for either means nothing. It's a wasted vote for anyone but those who stand to gain from the duopoly staying in power -- the super rich and big corporate interests. But it seems you and I are on the same page in this regard, thus supporting the third parties. That's two votes counted as "fed up" with the "Republocrats" if nothing else.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:32 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,243,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal Force View Post
Heh, there seems to be huge obama supporters here more than McCain..

Could be, school is out for the weekend.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:38 PM

835 posts, read 1,196,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Laissez faire... and if you think it's good, then you're an uninformed fool with no knowledge of history. (Edit: Or, you're immoral.)

Stop with the insults...I don't believe the govt. should ever be in the business of running a business...does that clarify it now. There is not one business the govt. can run better, cheaper or more efficiently than the private sector.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:39 PM

14,419 posts, read 26,246,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Obama just does not get it that there is not enough money for all his social programs. He can promise pie in the sky, but the money is just not there and even a democratic congress will not be able to help him.
I don't think that McCain gets that he can't continue to cut taxes, fund a boondoggle war and continue to pay for fighting terror as well as programs at home that affect a lot of his aging Baby Boomer voter base, like Medicare and Social Security. Both of their plans have a lot of pie in them, so to speak. There just isn't enough money, period. Under Bush and the borrow-and-spend status quo, it's all been blown and we've got "Made In China" stamped on our foreheads to show for it.

There was no winner. McCain had a chance to A) knock one out of the park on foreign affairs and B) conclusively show how his administration won't be a continuation of Bush's, and did neither. Obama had a chance to knock one out of the park on the economy, and legged out an infield single.

If Obama came out a winner, it was a narrow split-decision win on points.

I'm done boring everyone with sports analogies now.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:41 PM

835 posts, read 1,196,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclad View Post
Could be, school is out for the weekend.
Is that the problem I seem to have upset a couple of little trolls who think they are so clever. How proud their parents must be.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:50 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,090,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Stop with the insults...I don't believe the govt. should ever be in the business of running a business... does that clarify it now. There is not one business the govt. can run better, cheaper or more efficiently than the private sector.
Much better... I agree... stop crying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections