U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won the 1st Presidential Debate
McCain 124 32.04%
Obama 194 50.13%
It was a tie 69 17.83%
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:49 PM

14,935 posts, read 13,324,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
How can you go Republican after such a bad 8 years? I guess you like sadomasochism.
No, they just want another white man for president and the other guy is just half white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 PM

973 posts, read 1,993,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
I honestly thought Obama had some really good answers, but nevertheless, I am a small business owner and cannot vote for a tax increase that will cause me to lay off employees. What good is a tax cut for 95% of Americans if half of them will end up getting layed off because their employers cannot afford them. I don't think people quite understand how this is going to work, especially with all the money he wants to spend on his programs, but it's not like I'm going to wake up and cry if I find out Obama has won. I'll just go on and do what I gotta do to make things work for me, and hope the Jaguars win their next game.
But Obama doesn't want to explain the negative side of his "95% tax cuts" plan.. that would cost him votes!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:51 PM

29 posts, read 74,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I thought Obama did a real nice job. He totally overcame his stuttering... but I expected that. We all know he's a very bright man, so I would have been surprised to see him not fix it.
Really?? I thought he stuttered a lot... you're the second person I've heard say that. I don't hold it against the guy other than it's a bad habit, it doesn't serve him justice though and gives the appearance that he's not clear with his thoughts. My read on it is it's part of his thinking process.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:53 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,958,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
How can you go Republican after such a bad 8 years? I guess you like sadomasochism.
McCain is NOT Bush. If we thought that, he wouldn't have even gotten the nomination. Many, if not most, conservatives are extemely disappointed in the leadership of Bush following the 9/11 years, especially with spending and the increase in govt. size, immigration, etc.

Trying to use that is just a fear tactic and is actually quite tasteless.

Saying Obama is going to raise taxes is also a fear tactic, but it's based in truth, and don't say he'll lower them for 95% of the population either. The 5% of the population that employs the other 95% are going to have to lay off a whole bunch of that 95%. What good is a tax cut if your not getting a paycheck?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:53 PM

21,532 posts, read 14,346,985 times
I was rooting for Obama but voted it as a tie.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,778,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Does that mean there is a large percentage of racist Democrats? I'm Republican and I don't even ever think about his race when I'm listening to him speak, so I don't quite get that.
There are a large percentage of racist AMERICANS.
Always has been, always will be.
Not just an American problem either. Happens all around the world and is a fact of life.

Some are Republicans. Some are Democrats. Some are Independents.
Some wouldn't have voted for Obama even if he were White (ie they have other reasons to vote against him). But clearly, a certain percentage of folks WOULD be voting for him if he were White.

I suspect if Obama were White, he'd be up 10-15% in the polls.

Ken

Old 09-26-2008, 09:59 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,958,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
well, I think only McSame-o-nites are all watching and voting on the fox polls.
Ok, can we please stick to their regular names. Nobody on here is posting disparaging names about Obama who is obviously your candidate of choice. That's cool, but grouping us altogether and calling us by one name is a disrespectful attitude that gives your party a bad name.

Lumping us into one category is merely an outlet for expressing anger over something so you can use someone as a scapegoat. Whatever the root cause of your anger, you should rely on yourself to solve it. Neither Obama nor McCain has a responsibility to solve your unhappiness.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:03 PM

973 posts, read 1,993,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

I suspect if Obama were White, he'd be up 10-15% in the polls.

Ken
Not necessarily. There are a LOT of African Americans who have always voted Republican in the south who are likely voting for Obama this election, and race does play a part. You can't even come close to quantifying a poll number if Obama were white - there are far too many factors. McCain is a much better candidate than Bush, and Gore, Kerry, Dean, and other Dem favorites couldn't beat Bush. I do agree with Obama is better than the others, but trying to predict the polls if Obama were white is ridiculous - it can't be done.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:04 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,089,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar94 View Post
Really?? I thought he stuttered a lot... you're the second person I've heard say that. I don't hold it against the guy other than it's a bad habit, it doesn't serve him justice though and gives the appearance that he's not clear with his thoughts. My read on it is it's a part of his thinking process.
I suppose I'm comparing primary-Obama to general-Obama. Before, I wanted to bump the table and say "reset!" I think he did a really nice job, in that respect.

The guy's smart. None of us can take that away from him (although the premises that uphold his values are anti-American.)

However, I didn't experience him as a leader. He seemed like a kid; half the time, angry. I thought the repetitive grinning reinforced the impression of arrogance I have of him.

Also, something I forgot about that made me angry at the beginning is his refusal to admit that he's not going to be able to do socialized health care.

OTOH, McCain seemed to be floating through it. I just can't understand, when he was so powerful, at this time, on the economy, he didn't take up the middle.

I think Obama seemed well practiced; McCain seemed like he was winging it.

Now that the clips are coming out, McCain looks better, but I still feel that it was tight and, if it was a tie, McCain failed to take advantage of opportunities.

I hope he's (McCain) is on his way back to Washington to sling some fire and brimstone to get some coverage on his economic policy. We'll see...

Old 09-26-2008, 10:04 PM

3,087 posts, read 5,837,630 times
most of the polls are saying Obama won or it was tie/close

in addition, Obama looked far more presidential

he talked on the middle class and healthcare . . . issues America cares about

only thing McCain did tonight was attack

McCain played the role of an attack dog, not the role of a presidential candidate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections