Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won the 1st Presidential Debate
McCain 124 32.04%
Obama 194 50.13%
It was a tie 69 17.83%
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:40 PM

29 posts, read 77,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Just like the national polls, it looks like a tight race here as well. What I find interesting is that with the economy in the tank, the war in Iraq very unpopular, the stock market falling and banks and lenders failing, that the scenario is set so that the Democratic candidate should be able to have a 20 point lead in the polls right now, but that's not the case. It is still very close. Why can't Obama put some distance in the polls right now with everything going in his favor??
I've thought this too...It makes me feel like the media is trying to drive the lead to Obama. I was looking at a couple of polls done on AOL last week and each time McCain was leading by a huge margin. Something just isn't adding up????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:42 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,212,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
ok, about choked on my coffee reading this... party foul!

Too funny
Coffee this time of night?

Old 09-26-2008, 10:43 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,215,404 times
Quote:
Just like the national polls, it looks like a tight race here as well. What I find interesting is that with the economy in the tank, the war in Iraq very unpopular, the stock market falling and banks and lenders failing, that the scenario is set so that the Democratic candidate should be able to have a 20 point lead in the polls right now, but that's not the case. It is still very close. Why can't Obama put some distance in the polls right now with everything going in his favor??
Probably because anywhere between 15-30% (depending on the poll) ADMIT they are hesitant to vote for a Black man.

Ken

Old 09-26-2008, 10:43 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,401,159 times
I thought Obama did a real nice job. He totally overcame his stuttering... but I expected that. We all know he's a very bright man, so I would have been surprised to see him not fix it.

He did very nice.

I don't understand why McCain didn't stick him with the economy stuff. I'm disappointed about that.

You know, more than anything, I'm disappointed with the format. I don't think either did their best because of it. The Senate rules forbid talking directly to each other... so trying to pressure them to talk to each other was peculiar... and I felt, when they're trying to hit each other, uncivil.

Who won? I honestly don't know. Was it a tie? I don't like ties-- they're BS.

The good? Barack being smooth. McCain being sincere.

The bad? Barack seemed bitter. McCain didn't seem smooth.

I can't call a winner. My bias says McCain... but I know Obama did just fine too.

I'll say this: Barack took full advantage of his ammo. McCain didn't use his to it's full potential... but McCain's ammo was better... I guess that's a tie just like this whole race has been.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar94 View Post
I've thought this too...It makes me feel like the media is trying to drive the lead to Obama. I was looking at a couple of polls done on AOL last week and each time McCain was leading by a huge margin. Something just isn't adding up????
I'm watching CNN and Fox News right now. CNN says Obama won by 68%, and Fox says McCain won by 82%.

I think both sides are using "fuzzy math."

Old 09-26-2008, 10:46 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,876,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I know I am voting for McCain, but seriously, he won tonight. He showed he is 100% ready right out of the gate to go. Obama, not that he is horrible or bad, is just not ready. McCain showed that tonight. McCain was so ontop of the issues. He knows his chit and it is not simply rehearsed, he really believes it and knows it top to bottom. That showed tonight.
How can you go Republican after such a bad 8 years? I guess you like sadomasochism.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:46 PM

29 posts, read 77,927 times
Quote:
I'm watching CNN and Fox News right now. CNN says Obama won by 68%, and Fox says McCain won by 82%.

Ya, I'm seeing that too, LOL! They're all full of.......

Old 09-26-2008, 10:47 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,240,271 times
Quote:

well, I think only McSame-o-nites are all watching and voting on the fox polls.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Probably because anywhere between 15-30% (depending on the poll) ADMIT they are hesitant to vote for a Black man.

Ken
Does that mean there is a large percentage of racist Democrats? I'm Republican and I don't even ever think about his race when I'm listening to him speak, so I don't quite get that.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:48 PM
NCN

21,657 posts, read 25,493,558 times
I think there were things that McCain brought out that will affect a lot of voters and seemed not to matter, but they will matter when that voter starts to push the voter button.

Obama just does not get it that there is not enough money for all his social programs. He can promise pie in the sky, but the money is just not there and even a democratic congress will not be able to help him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections